BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

1M sales success and the markup phenomenon

Alike the curves on dyno stats, for quite a number of 1Ms supply meets demand at a different point on the graphic (read: over MSRP) than for the 135i or 335i. 1Ms were sold like hot cakes and supply becomes more scarce as time moves on. Some potential customers will be let down due to unavailability. More demand than supply, so the markup phenomenon comes into play. Not bad for "just another 1 Series BMW car" or "///M entry level car".

According to you, what's the most sound explanation for the phenomenon of markups on 1M's (despite the economic crisis raging). Why didn't this happen to the 135i and 335i at introduction (and later):

a. ///M touch and quality reputation?
b. rarity (limited, one-year production) ?
c. performance ?
d. concept (nimble manual high-performance 4-seater driver's car with decent boot ?
e. design and eye-appeal ?
f. affordability (finance-wise and family-wise [acceptable/practicality]) ?
g. limited competition of alternatives (Cayman R, Audi RS3, M3, etc.) ?
h. rave reviews ?
i. likelihood of a good resale value (collector's item) ?
j. marketing hype - teaser campaign ?
k. ///M fanbase loyalty ?
l. some of the above ?
m. all of the above - global package ?

Otherwise stated, according to you, what does BMW M mainly require for emulating the 1M sales success with its future M2, if possible, without hurting too much its future M3 sales ?

Feel free to add more possibilities. Maybe it could become a poll. Why would BMW not be interested ?
Appreciate 0