BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #1
YoungGuns
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Engine Going into Limp Mode

Hey guys, the yellow engine light came on today indicating full engine power is no longer available. This happened when I was accelerating at full throttle off of a turn on M mode. Would any one know of possible reasons?

I have dual cone intakes and ER Chargepipe + Synapse BOV installed in the engine bay, other than that everything is stock. No JB3 or JB4.

Will bring it into dealership on monday, but if you guys know of any possible reasons for the yellow engine light please let me know as I'm quite concerned.

I'm wondering if this is considered to be the vehicle going into limp mode?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 05:10 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Could be anything. You need to read the code that was stored and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 05:42 AM   #3
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Make sure you take the intake and esp. the charge pipe off before you go in. If there is something wrong with the motor, you don't want them trying to blame it on that stuff.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Make sure your chargepipe and BOV are fully secured with no leaks?

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

When you turn the car back on do you have full power? Could be the HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
YoungGuns
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Could be anything. You need to read the code that was stored and go from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Make sure you take the intake and esp. the charge pipe off before you go in. If there is something wrong with the motor, you don't want them trying to blame it on that stuff.
I'm worried about taking it to the dealership, there's a huge possibility they would just void my warranty? However if that's the case then I can't read the code...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
Make sure your chargepipe and BOV are fully secured with no leaks?
Yes I'll have to check that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1M View Post
When you turn the car back on do you have full power? Could be the HPFP.
Um, not 100% certain, when I drove my car into the garage n turned the ignition back on the yellow engine light did go away... so that shouldn't mean it's the HPFP right?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You could always just buy a BavTech scan tool to read the code. IF it is driving fine right now, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'd order a scan tool. Sooner or later you will need one. Or maybe someone in your area has one and can help you out.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
Maximus_Prime
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '12 Q5 2.0T, '06 Miata

Garage List
If it was only a temporary limp mode that went away after a restart then it could be a VANOS problem. My N54 135i would sometimes go into limp mode temporarily after WOT acceleration as you described and when I finally took it in for service the third time it happened the dealer identified it as a VANOS solenoid related problem. The only mod I had was dual cone intakes.

Dackel usually has great advice but in this case I have to disagree. A yellow engine light could point to a serious problem - I would not ignore it. Definitely get your car to a service center as soon as possible. Remove any aftermarket engine mods before you head to the dealer, though.
2011 1M | Valencia Orange | #655 of 740
BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance Shadowline Grills | Gloss black iND side markers
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGuns View Post
I'm worried about taking it to the dealership, there's a huge possibility they would just void my warranty?
If you spend 45 minutes and take the intake and charge pipe off then there is zero possibility they will void your warranty. If you leave it all on and there does turn out to be something wrong with the motor then yes my bet is they would immediately blame the problem on your aftermarket parts. That seems to be the defacto policy.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I agree with everyone about putting it back to stock. That could also help rule out the aftermarket parts didn't cause it. On the HPFP, it's possible but when my pump failed the car was running horribly rough, like on one or two cylinders. It also took a long time to start so to me it doesn't sound like fuel pump problem I had. I believe limp mode is triggered by something that could damage the motor like overheating, over-lean condition, detonation, etc. The dealer is your best bet but take it in stock.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
YoungGuns
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Okay thanks guys. I just checked the DCI and charge pipe last night and tried to tighten things. Seems like the engine's running fine. I'll have to drive it some more with WOT and M mode on... if the problem arises again then I'll take everything apart and put the stock parts back in for a check up... hopefully that won't have to happen
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
Chachirims
Rated ///M for Mature
Peru
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White

How long have you had the charge pipe installed? make sure it s securely attached to the intake manifold with the C clamp in place. Being that you were in M mode and running higher boost, there may be a leak or have slightly wedged out of place. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #13
YoungGuns
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachirims View Post
How long have you had the charge pipe installed? make sure it s securely attached to the intake manifold with the C clamp in place. Being that you were in M mode and running higher boost, there may be a leak or have slightly wedged out of place. Good luck.
I've been running with it for about 2 months now, it seems like things are working fine now after some slight adjustment thanks guys!
Appreciate 0