BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #23
Nutballa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 // BMW F22 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkTechnology View Post
To be honest the only reason why we went with the AFE intake was that it was the only intake available at the time. In hindsight we should have kept the stock intake or used a simple DCI intake. On certain points the AFE is certainly worse than the OEM air box, on others the AFE might be marginally better.
I personally think the stock air box is well designed. I kept this setup and added the drop in high low AFE filter and ram air scoops.

"Power is nothing without Control" - Pirelli.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #24
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
What if any computer tweaking was done? Intake and exhaust changes wont give that much of a bump in power. Boost had to be raised. It mentions "conservative tuning" but I would like to know what that means.
Sure would love to see a dyno on this car.
We are running on a custom tune from GIAC. It's a dialed down version of their stage 2. Our number one focus with this car is reliability. There is certainly a lot more room left in the tune for more power, however we are gunning for a championship, which means we need to make every event, which means we can't afford to have any major mechanicals or limp mode issues or anything else. We have been doing well with our moderate power numbers so we are going by the mantra "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Can you detail more the front brake ducting? It also appears you may have enabled air flow through the rocker scoop? Does it duct to the rear brake, or just empty to the wheel well? More detail, please!
The front brake ducting is custom made with the inlets feeding air from the front bumper to the rotors. The rear rocker scoops are not functional, they are just styling cues added by VFiber. We have no plans to make them functional as brake ducts or anything like that as there is no need at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #25
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
We are running on a custom tune from GIAC. It's a dialed down version of their stage 2. Our number one focus with this car is reliability. There is certainly a lot more room left in the tune for more power, however we are gunning for a championship, which means we need to make every event, which means we can't afford to have any major mechanicals or limp mode issues or anything else. We have been doing well with our moderate power numbers so we are going by the mantra "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

I understand. Just curious to know what you did. Do you have a dyno print? We would love to see it.
The car seems really put together well. Great job.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #26
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutballa View Post
I personally think the stock air box is well designed. I kept this setup and added the drop in high low AFE filter and ram air scoops.

if feel the same about that and I did the same things as you and I'm happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #27
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

Why use metal on the intake pipe? Inst that more prone to heat soak than the stock style rubber/plastic type?
      09-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #28
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:

The front brake ducting is custom made with the inlets feeding air from the front bumper to the rotors. The rear rocker scoops are not functional, they are just styling cues added by VFiber. We have no plans to make them functional as brake ducts or anything like that as there is no need at the moment.
Great and inspiring job, Berk. On the tuning, I subscribe to the related mantra, "just because you can, doesn't mean you should." Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #29
david @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Great stuff! I love seeing this car in person, it's a real head turner
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #30
bavarian19
General
United_States