E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Did not opt for sport pkg in my 330i, will it still be as fun to drive?

01-28-2006, 01:52 PM   #1
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Did not opt for sport pkg in my 330i, will it still be as fun to drive?

Everyone on this board seems to agree that if you get only
one option, it should be the sport package. I live on Long Island
where the roads are way to rough for sport tires/ suspension
for everyday commuting. I just wanted to ask what exactly
i will be missing out on driving wise? The only things that matter
to me are: road feel, fun to drive, and tight steering (cutting in
and out of lanes). I typically wont be taking any mountain roads
so handling does not have to be superb, but still very good.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 01:55 PM   #2
quackman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 6mt

It won't be AS fun to drive, but it sure will be VERY fun still!
      01-28-2006, 02:13 PM   #3
BeemMeUp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

There are a few of us that didn't get the ZSP package and I don't miss not feeling every bump in the road. Bottom Line is I think all BMWs are fun to drive...

E90 330i / SG / Biege / Burl / ZPP / Heated Seats / Steptronic / CA / PDC / ACC / iDrive / Sirius-prep
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 02:18 PM   #4
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

No, you made a horrible decision and will hate your car now...

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 02:27 PM   #5
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

I used to live on LI... roads are certainly not as bad as Ive seen elsewhere. I driven worse in my E90 (sadly enough)...

This will probably be a regret over the lifetime of your car if you liked the way it drove with the sport package. You will still enjoy it... but possibly second guessing yourself...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 02:28 PM   #6
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

It will still be fun, just not as fun. SP :rocks: Personally I would not purchase a BMW w/o it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 02:35 PM   #7
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

ahh dont listen to them. It's all subjective. Though I enjoy the firm ride of SP, I dont know how often I will drive the crap outta my car. My 330 non-sport is still GREAT to drive. You have to think of the positives: more mileage on the tires, less succeptible to damages due to potholes etc, and you dont haev to worry about getting all-season tires when it rains or snows.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 02:39 PM   #8
parafrog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i BlkSaph

don't go jump off a cliff. i have the sports package and would not get the e90 without it. but it's about priorities and needs. it was a high priority for me. sounds like you may need a tad bit softer suspension than the sport will allow. with the exception of the harder feel, i don't think it's really a factor until you are pushing your car from 7/10th on, and most people don't/can't drive this car near it's limit. after about 2 months with my car i'm just now learning how far i can push it without gettting stupid.

bottom line, you'll notice it but its still an e90 and that's better than just about everything out there for the price, even without sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 02:42 PM   #9
db17k
Chicketeh china the chinese chicken, you have?
Rep
Drives: 335ci hold out

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
My friends 328ci doesn't have the sports package and that thing is a blast to drive, I have much more confidence in weaving through lanes in that than my honda. so your 330i will be even better. Many members on this board that live in jersey or the NYC area didn't opt for the sports package for that very reason, bad roads.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 02:50 PM   #10
seevemonka
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 325,black

I think your right.It sounds mean to say that.But it's true.when i first test drove the e90,all the dealer had was a non sport.When i drove it,i was not to impressed with the e90.I came back a week later,then test drove the e90 with sport,and there was a significant difference between the two.The sport has that solid to the ground feeling,and the ride is not bad,this is what a bmw is,a luxury car,with a sport personality,there not going to make the ride that bad,especially now adays,to appeal to the masses.We can all agree,that you need to test drive the two.And if your one of those,who think theres not much difference,then i would look at a lexus or acura.Both good cars,just different personalities.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 02:59 PM   #11
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

Without the sports package, a BMW handles like a Kia Sophia.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 03:14 PM   #12
sbrentson
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

I just test drove an 04 e46 non-sport today. Compaired to my 06 e90 sport, the ride was smother, but the handling was similar. Certainly there was a difference, but not like some would make us want to beleive. Part of your angst seems to be with the badge. Since the badge on your car does not include the options you added (except to say, an enthusiast might notice lack of the sport rims and wheels), noone needs to know the difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 03:16 PM   #13
thunderbirdsarego
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xi

I have the 330xi with the sports package, however, I understand that this does not amount to the same suspension upgrades as with the 330i sport (in fact I'm not sure if the suspension in the 330xi sport is modified at all from the regular 330xi though I have heard different opinions).

In any case, assuming I don't have the sport suspension I can only say this is not necessarily a bad thing. With 17" Pirelli winter run-flat tires, I find the car has very good road feel and balance. The roads I am driving vary tremendously in quality. But each day I face a washed out gravel road and a good number of damaged (rutted) and potholed roads. A less compliant suspension would be more susceptible to damage (run-flats are not cheap!).

I actually have a set of 162's in my crawl space waiting for spring. I am beginning to wonder if they will really be an improvement other than aesthetically. The larger wheels are heavier and introduce additional unsprung weight. This may negatively impact handling and, in theory, might even have a small impact on acceleration due to the mass increase. The decreased amount of rubber will also increase the potential for wheel and tire damage if I hit a pothole at any speed.

Having said all that, if I bought a 330i, I would opt for sport but I would be driving some roads with caution.

What I am trying to say is that depending on the roads you are driving not having the sport suspension might turn out to be a good thing. As for performance, I am literally ecstatic with my 330xi. Oh, and last but not least, I have found my 330xi corners better than my RX-7 Turbo in some of the more bumpy curves on my long drive to work. I believe this is because the more compliant suspension is better able to track the undulations in the road and hold a line. YMMV!

Last edited by thunderbirdsarego; 01-28-2006 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: mispelling
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 04:48 PM   #14
seevemonka
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrentson
I just test drove an 04 e46 non-sport today. Compaired to my 06 e90 sport, the ride was smother, but the handling was similar. Certainly there was a difference, but not like some would make us want to beleive. Part of your angst seems to be with the badge. Since the badge on your car does not include the options you added (except to say, an enthusiast might notice lack of the sport rims and wheels), noone needs to know the difference.
If the 04 e46 was a 330,the sport suspension was std for 330,option for 325.SO a sport package on a e46 330 was the seats,wheels,etc..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 04:51 PM   #15
seevemonka
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbirdsarego
I have the 330xi with the sports package, however, I understand that this does not amount to the same suspension upgrades as with the 330i sport (in fact I'm not sure if the suspension in the 330xi sport is modified at all from the regular 330xi though I have heard different opinions).

In any case, assuming I don't have the sport suspension I can only say this is not necessarily a bad thing. With 17" Pirelli winter run-flat tires, I find the car has very good road feel and balance. The roads I am driving vary tremendously in quality. But each day I face a washed out gravel road and a good number of damaged (rutted) and potholed roads. A less compliant suspension would be more susceptible to damage (run-flats are not cheap!).
I actually have a set of 162's in my crawl space waiting for spring. I am beginning to wonder if they will really be an improvement other than aesthetically. The larger wheels are heavier and introduce additional unsprung weight. This may negatively impact handling and, in theory, might even have a small impact on acceleration due to the mass increase. The decreased amount of rubber will also increase the potential for wheel and tire damage if I hit a pothole at any speed.

Having said all that, if I bought a 330i, I would opt for sport but I would be driving some roads with caution.

What I am trying to say is that depending on the roads you are driving not having the sport suspension might turn out to be a good thing. As for performance, I am literally ecstatic with my 330xi. Oh, and last but not least, I have found my 330xi corners better than my RX-7 Turbo in some of the more bumpy curves on my long drive to work. I believe this is because the more compliant suspension is better able to track the undulations in the road and hold a line. YMMV!
The xi has it's own suspension,it's harder than the std e90 non-sport.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 05:06 PM   #16
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I dont have ZSP and enjoy driving my E90..
      01-28-2006, 05:23 PM   #17
Tweak48
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Electric Red 330i

I specifically did not order the sport package, as I wanted a softer ride and reduced risk of wheel/tire/suspension damage. I live in the Peoples Republic of Washington State, and the priority with my tax dollars is not to go to maintaining roads, but for needles and condoms. Adequate road maintenance no doubt would require an even more confiscatory gas tax than the one we have presently. Personal transportation around here is considered a vice of the evil self centered bourgeois (BMW owners for instance), and should not be supported.

I'll shut up now................
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 05:34 PM   #18
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Keep in mind there are also a number of people on this board who would never get a BMW with an automatic transmission (me now included). So understand where the advice is coming from.

You are going to LOVE the car... Don't worry so much about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 05:45 PM   #19
db17k
Chicketeh china the chinese chicken, you have?
Rep
Drives: 335ci hold out

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweak48
I specifically did not order the sport package, as I wanted a softer ride and reduced risk of wheel/tire/suspension damage. I live in the Peoples Republic of Washington State, and the priority with my tax dollars is not to go to maintaining roads, but for needles and condoms. Adequate road maintenance no doubt would require an even more confiscatory gas tax than the one we have presently. Personal transportation around here is considered a vice of the evil self centered bourgeois (BMW owners for instance), and should not be supported.

I'll shut up now................
Those coffee drink'n hippies!!!!!!! haha

j/p

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 06:25 PM   #20
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
I never even tested a non-SP car, so can't give an opinion. However, I do feel every bump or pothole in my Xi, so the SP on a RWD would probably feel it even more.

However IMO, just for the difference in the look of a lower SP car vs. non-SP makes it worthwhile to get the SP.

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 06:44 PM   #21
D&G
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Personally it will still be fun to drive. With it, the ride will be stiffer and tighter. I chose not to have the Sport Package just the fact I will be getting bigger wheels and HR Racing springs. So would be no point for me to waste money on parts that I will be taking out and not using it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 08:28 PM   #22
AW330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDriver
Without the sports package, a BMW handles like a Kia Sophia.
^^ What he said lol.

but honestly while I would never consider a non sport 3series I dont think it will be aweful to drive and if it is by some springs for a few hundred dollars its not that big of a deal...