E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Gravol Boy is Home

08-30-2005, 10:36 AM   #1
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Very Well

Gravol Boy is Home

For those of you that read my post last week, you may remember that my brother and I took delivery of twin 330i's on Saturday in Vancouver. We made the long journey back to Calgary that day and arrived back at 3:00 am on Sunday morning.

Everything was absolutely perfect. The cars were ready to roll...we had a quick explanation, I picked up a sweet "3" keychain, the Puma Racing Jacket, some snap in BMW centre caps for my winter wheels and a BMW racing wallet.

We had two-way radios to chat all the way back. Unfortunately when we got to the picturesque part of the Rockies, it was dark so I have no pics. I will post one of the twins in the dealership delivery bay soon. The other mountains (interior of BC and Coastal Mountains are not alot different than California so not really worth the effort. Anyways...some observations.

I want to post some things that might be a bit different than others have posted.

1. The cockpit is very very nice. I was really impressed with how small and focused the cluster was. I also really like the diameter of the steering wheel and it's thickness. It is very go-cart like.

2. Every detail in the car has been taken care of....Every angle is scupted ...every part is simple, elegant and expensive feeling. I, for one, like the cupholders. They grip everthing from water to Starbucks well. I like the fact the driver's is away from everything. My 01 Jetta's was above the stereo and the spills happened right on the controls.

3. I was pleasantly suprised by the sound quality of the stock stereo. It thumps and is clear. Ipod connetion was easy and I learned how to increase the AUX. volume right on the stereo.

4. The leatherette seats are grippy and feel good. In fact the whole sport seat is phenomenal!

5. I always leave my door open when I start the car...that initial rumble is orgasmic.

6. Contrary to popular belief, I found no issue with the window controls. I am a big guy with long arms so they were perfectly placed.

7. The range is amazing, the combination of a large tank and great fuel economy is superb.

8. The adaptive lights were excellent on the 40KM corners on the other side of Golden (which we took at 90K.....turned into the corners amazingly well.

8. 40 Imperial MPG on the way home from Calgary!!!!!!!!!!! Stellar!

9. I live in a small city of about 25,000. Consequently there are few BMW's and no E90's ...My friends drool and strangers (the ones that know cars)...rubber neck.

Issues for me:

The car locks when I drive away. In order to get out, I have to pull the handle twice. Not good. Also, the car needs an unlock button on the driver's door. I had a movie in the backseat to return and I had to stop the car, take the key out and unlock the doors. My old car could be unlocked while the car was running. Am I missing something?

One absolutely in love guy (finally got his boyhood dream)

JVFan-

AKA- Derek
      08-30-2005, 10:52 AM   #2
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVFan
Issues for me:

The car locks when I drive away. In order to get out, I have to pull the handle twice. Not good. Also, the car needs an unlock button on the driver's door. I had a movie in the backseat to return and I had to stop the car, take the key out and unlock the doors. My old car could be unlocked while the car was running. Am I missing something?

One absolutely in love guy (finally got his boyhood dream)

JVFan-
Just hit the unlock button on the dash to unlock all doors. Congrats on the purchase!! Awesome car!

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2005, 10:54 AM   #3
EvEr35
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i SP AW AT

Not sure if this is what you mean...but there is an unlock button between the two center vents. Again not sure this is what you meant
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2005, 10:54 AM   #4
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep

Hey Danny...where is that button?
      08-30-2005, 10:55 AM   #5
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys...that's awesome...now about that double pull on the handle...it is like a pull and then release and then on the second pull it unlocks....can that be programmed out?
      08-30-2005, 10:56 AM   #6
Hoenir
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330I

There is an unlock/lock button next to the DTC button just under the hazzard button...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2005, 10:57 AM   #7
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep

sanx
      08-30-2005, 11:28 AM   #8
timlang
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i

Congrats on your new car!!!

Sounds like you had an awesome trip back home - I definately need to do a drive like that once I get my car, maybe next spring... thinking maybe Banff or something.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2005, 11:33 AM   #9
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks guys...that's awesome...now about that double pull on the handle...it is like a pull and then release and then on the second pull it unlocks....can that be programmed out?
Hey JVFan, just like Hoenir said, the master unlock/lock button is on the dash between the vents nect to the DTC button. The double pull on the inside door handle is actually nice because it allows you or any one of your passengers to open your door without unlocking all the doors if need be.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2005, 12:11 PM   #10
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
The car can be programmed to unlock when you turn off the ignition. It should also unlock (or can be programmed to unlock) when you remove your key from the ignition.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2005, 12:17 PM   #11
E90 Enthusiast
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Is the double pull on the drivers side door, the passenger doors, or all doors? On my Passat, it's just the passenger side doors. I'm not sure I'm that thrilled about doing a double pull everytime I get out of the car. Oh well, I guess it's just a matter of getting in the habit...
      08-30-2005, 12:37 PM   #12
Petercat
Cat Herder
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR3, again...

Congrats... and of course, Where are the pics?
      08-30-2005, 12:40 PM   #13
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 Enthusiast
Is the double pull on the drivers side door, the passenger doors, or all doors? On my Passat, it's just the passenger side doors. I'm not sure I'm that thrilled about doing a double pull everytime I get out of the car. Oh well, I guess it's just a matter of getting in the habit...
It's on all doors. Like Broken1 said, it can be programmed to unlock when the car is turned off or when you remove the key fob from the dash, but I like the way it is for security reasons. I don't feel comfortable having all my doors unlock everytime I cut the engine or remove the fob.

Danny
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2005, 02:26 PM   #14
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Congrats

Hope you got the pics of Canada for us
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2005, 04:59 PM   #15
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep

As I mentioned...I was driving through the dark for most of the trip but picture our cars driving through Roger's Pass and Kicking Horse Pass...
http://photogallery.bcnetwork.com/
      08-30-2005, 05:11 PM   #16
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
The car locks when I drive away. In order to get out, I have to pull the handle twice. Not good. Also, the car needs an unlock button on the driver's door.
Well JVFan, congratulations on your new car. It truly is a wonderful vehicle. BMW have really raised the 3 Series to stunning new heights.

The door locks on the BMWs have always been that way. Once the doors are locked, there is a 2 stage opening process as you have found out. This was the same on the e36 and e46. I didn't mind it as I grew accostomed to opening the door twice quickly. The first pull unlocks the door, the second opens it as you have discovered.

As has already been mentioned, you can have various prarmeters programmed for you without iDrive or you can do it yourself if you have iDrive, like doors locking when you reach a certain forward speed, etc.

I concur with you about the fuel economy, especially highway driving. Very economical.

You and your brother will really grow to love your cars even more and discover little things that only BMW think of.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2005, 06:24 PM   #17
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Quote:
The range is amazing, the combination of a large tank and great fuel economy is superb.
From the US brochure I thought I remembered that the cruise range was under 300 miles (sorry, dumb american, no metric for me) which doesn't seem particularly great. 400 is kind of my benchmark for decent range between fill ups. What'd you end up getting for mileage?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2005, 06:32 PM   #18
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Cruise range is not 300 miles. At a fuel capacity of ~15 gallons and about 29 mpg on the freeway, that's 435 miles range. Of course, mileage may vary but even at a dismal 25/gal on the freeway, that's still 375 miles range.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2005, 07:30 PM   #19
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Congrats on getting your car home!

Question for you: How did the dealership work with plating your car for Alberta? I'm guessing that you didn't have to pay the PST, otherwise you never would have gone out of province...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2005, 07:35 PM   #20
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Congrats on the new 3, and thanks for sharing that experience and observations!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2005, 09:06 PM   #21
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Abulia
Congrats on getting your car home!

Question for you: How did the dealership work with plating your car for Alberta? I'm guessing that you didn't have to pay the PST, otherwise you never would have gone out of province...
There is an out of province declaration to save the PST...so I really only paid a total of 7% Sales tax (gst is a federal tax for you guys south of the border) Also...in BC they have a luxury tax so I saved that too! I provided my driver's license and health care card to prove residency.

I got about 870km range out of my second tank.
      08-30-2005, 09:08 PM   #22
Ponchoyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Black

870!!! Holy cow! Is that what the computer said or you actually registered that!