09-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #23
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
In speaking with my dealership, it seems that my allocation got approved and is beginning production except for some unfortunate news that...

1) The allocation is in the dealership owner's name.
2) It's not spec'd at all like I requested.
3) I'll may have to entertain a bidding war once it gets in.

The only thing I can say to my SA's credit is that he's been very upfront with me every step of the way. No promises were made or broken.

Thinking further... If I somehow get the rug pulled out from under me, I may entertain a chance to start over with a 2012 M3 E92 6MT without navi, competition package, and sunroof.

My fully-loaded E90 right now has proven to be a bit more than I want or need. Too many doors. Suspension I never adjust. Boring DCT. A sunroof I never use. And a highly distracting onboard screen. Fat, fat, fat.

What would you do if your chance at a 1M was taken away?
Buy a Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #24
Sy546
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E46 M3, E92 M3

also you could wait and try out the new '12 carrera S. i had a deposit down for that too. But it all depends on your budget
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #25
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

The other cars I'd consider:
Cayman R- you can find deals, so the price gap isn't as big as you'd think.
Used (CPO?) 997 GT3
2012 VW Golf R (ok, it's slow, but it's practical, the 4wd is nice for the mountains and you can park it anywhere).
Audi RS3 (see above minus the slow, if I lived somewhere they sold it).
STI (if I could live with the interior/ image/ etc).
2013 Cayman (going to be very good).
Wait even longer...
No great choices. Did the M3 thing- too big/ GT for me.
      09-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #26
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

So many good responses.

Nachob and pyratone and I have the same tastes. An e90 sedan, very few options other than Bluetooth and maybe competition pkg, in Jerez black or Jet Black mostly because of the 1.9% and then also could do euro delivery, HOWEVER, this isn't possible EITHER any more right now, so I would definitely cry my self to sleep every night ala mikewillis.

I would probably consider a used GT3, but probably out of reach $$ wise, and would maybe test drive a cayman S to see if that could excite me, but more than likely I would find an e92 m3 sedan in the used market and hope it could tide me over until the M2 arrives.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 12:55 AM   #27
M12Power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S 6MT

My chances of getting a 1M are now close to zero, so I've been pondering what I should get instead. I have to say it's really a letdown, and I don't want to wait until the new M3/M2 comes out.

If I want to save money, I could just get the Nissan 370Z, but I really need something that’s more practical for the long haul as I don’t buy a new car every 4 or 5 years. I’ve also been considering the Audi TT RS, but the buying experience will most likely end up just like with the 1M. Plus it’s not practical, either.

Some other choices I’ve been toying around with include the Porsche Cayman R/S, the Nissan GT-R, or the new Porsche 911 Carrera S, but again, none of these is practical, not to mention they’re quite a lot more expensive.

So the more realistic option would be a 2012 E92 M3 or a 2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe (the CTS-V Coupe probably has a slight edge over the M3 right now…).
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 02:05 AM   #28
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Maybe I'm missing something but here in the UK, you walk into a dealer, ask if they can get a car, if they say yes you place an order and a small refundable deposit and that's it.

What's all this about a bidding war!?!?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 02:09 AM   #29
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

In the US the car is pretty much sold out... with just a few weeks of production left.. no more orders are being taken. I thought that the UK was limited to 450 ? Those are not all sold?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 02:25 AM   #30
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

All of the UK cars are sold from the perspective of being able to order one new to your own spec and having it built. However there are a number of cars around. Be it owners who have sold up and are trying to make a fast buck, or dealers who have cars in (very few of these left).

However, I've never heard of the situation here in the UK that the OP posted about. If I understand it, the dealer has bought the allocation and will sell it to the highest bidder? I'm pretty sure that BMW UK do not allow this to happen.

In fact when you could still order the car they blocked dealers buying up allocations to put in their showrooms for sale. To order the car they were required to provide the name of the customer buying it. Also they are not allowed to sell above list price either, so any cars at official BMW dealers now have to be sold at list price or below.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 03:57 AM   #31
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but here in the UK, you walk into a dealer, ask if they can get a car, if they say yes you place an order and a small refundable deposit and that's it.

What's all this about a bidding war!?!?
UK = 450 cars for 62 million people, a bit over 7 cars per m.
US = ~750(?) cars for 310 million, a bit over 2 cars per m.
Do the math...

Oh, I was reminded of one other car on my list; CTS-V wagon. Even though I don't like big cars, you gotta respect a wagon that can take more than 15 seconds out of a 1M on the 'ring. Need to do something about all that chrome though...
      09-29-2011, 05:50 AM   #32
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
UK = 450 cars for 62 million people, a bit over 7 cars per m.
US = ~750(?) cars for 310 million, a bit over 2 cars per m.
Do the math...

Oh, I was reminded of one other car on my list; CTS-V wagon. Even though I don't like big cars, you gotta respect a wagon that can take more than 15 seconds out of a 1M on the 'ring. Need to do something about all that chrome though...
I think you miss my point. I'm not questioning the number of cars available (and I think the US are getting much more than 750 cars however), but more so around the fact that a dealer can instigate a bidding war.

The point I make is that BMW UK actually prevented dealers from buying cars in their own name and to place an order, they had to give the customers name. In other words, the dealer could only order a 1M on behalf of their customer and not on behalf of the dealership. This was done to stop dealers buying up cars that customers could not spec themselves just to put them in their showroom.

In addition to this, I do not believe that BMW UK allow dealers to sell the car above list price. The problem that appears to have occured in the US is that dealers have orders, specced and taken delivery of the car and then whacked a huge amount over MRSP because they can. By allowing this practice to occur, the allocation available to the buyer on the street reduces (because dealers are taking that allocation) and the buyer then has to pay over the odds at the dealership for a "premium car" that is no longer available.

I know this isn't the case everywhere, but BMW NA should really put a stop to it. I'm actually quite surprised that BMW NA haven't already stopped this from happening, which was my original point

Back on topic, what car should the original OP buy? Honestly, I'm struggling to think. A lot of the cars suggested above, certainly in the UK, are a lot more expensive than the 1M and offer no more (and in most cases) worse performance / handling than what the 1M can deliver.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 06:07 AM   #33
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
I think you miss my point. I'm not questioning the number of cars available (and I think the US are getting much more than 750 cars however), but more so around the fact that a dealer can instigate a bidding war.

The point I make is that BMW UK actually prevented dealers from buying cars in their own name and to place an order, they had to give the customers name. In other words, the dealer could only order a 1M on behalf of their customer and not on behalf of the dealership. This was done to stop dealers buying up cars that customers could not spec themselves just to put them in their showroom.

In addition to this, I do not believe that BMW UK allow dealers to sell the car above list price. The problem that appears to have occured in the US is that dealers have orders, specced and taken delivery of the car and then whacked a huge amount over MRSP because they can. By allowing this practice to occur, the allocation available to the buyer on the street reduces (because dealers are taking that allocation) and the buyer then has to pay over the odds at the dealership for a "premium car" that is no longer available.

I know this isn't the case everywhere, but BMW NA should really put a stop to it. I'm actually quite surprised that BMW NA haven't already stopped this from happening, which was my original point

Back on topic, what car should the original OP buy? Honestly, I'm struggling to think. A lot of the cars suggested above, certainly in the UK, are a lot more expensive than the 1M and offer no more (and in most cases) worse performance / handling than what the 1M can deliver.
We 'mericans don't like our gubbinmint messin 'bout with our business leaders and job creators so we just let them rape and pillage the population as much as they like as long as they keep passing on some of the loot to our elected representatives.

It's the price of freedom fries.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 06:32 AM   #34
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I believe there was a court ruling that prevents manufactures in the US from dictating dealer pricing to dealers. Otherwise you must assume they would, because the image they are getting from this is likely not what they intended...
BMW's stated goal with this car was to bring new, younger enthusiasts into the fold. How's that going? I live in the SF bay area, went to two dealers last December, and was told (before they knew jack about the car) that they wouldn't do a deal at MSRP. Now? Out of my four closest dealers, 2 are offering a car at 10K over msrp, the other two 20k over. Seriously? Yea, all of us "new enthusiasts" are lining up for some more of that. Not to mention the guys that actually booked an order and had it taken away.

Let's just say I'm feeling a little nostalgic for the old world these days.

Last edited by Pete_vB; 09-29-2011 at 06:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 08:01 AM   #35
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina B12 5.0

James T. Kirk - I would simply personally go to the dealership, and ask to politely speak with the Sales Manager to ask what the situation is - that way it would end all speculation. Say nicely that you ordered the car in good faith, and hopefully when it arrives you can get it - then see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #36
Moo
Gold Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PSYWGN

Don't act like a Spock.

Kirk would never have any of this crap!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 08:35 AM   #37
Plaz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M; '08 MCS; '02 325iT

Tantalus field might come in handy.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 10:39 AM   #38
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
...However, I've never heard of the situation here in the UK that the OP posted about. If I understand it, the dealer has bought the allocation and will sell it to the highest bidder? I'm pretty sure that BMW UK do not allow this to happen.

In fact when you could still order the car they blocked dealers buying up allocations to put in their showrooms for sale. To order the car they were required to provide the name of the customer buying it. Also they are not allowed to sell above list price either, so any cars at official BMW dealers now have to be sold at list price or below.
First of all, I'm no OP in this regard. I've special ordered many cars with nothing like this happening before. It's simply the rarity factor that is at play to which consumers do not have control. And again, in defense of my SA, he was upfront about everything being tentative. Unfortunately, his predictions came true.

This type of thing happened back in the days of the Z8. Dealerships were shipping units to actors in California at $100,000.00 over list. No kidding.

We in the U.S. would be so lucky as to have such a civilized policy of not raping customers above MSRP, but it's still sort of a free country and I do have the freedom to not participate.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #39
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
First of all, I'm no OP in this regard.
You started the thread, therefore you are the OP.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #40
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

thanks guys....now i can't get the song OPP out of my head! i'm completely useless until i get this car. (can't wait until weds!!)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #41
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Yeah you know me....

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #42
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Except if mistaken, the next-gen M3 is due for release next Spring. So, if you want a firsthand M3 with an intersting price-discount, hold out till, say, February/March 2012. Current-gen M3's will have to move over at the dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #43
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
You started the thread, therefore you are the OP.
LOL. My apologies to my UK friend. How embarrassing. I just figured out that an OP is "Original Poster."

I always thought it just meant novice or kid like Opie!...
Attached Images

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #44
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
Yeah you know me....
Appreciate 0