BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
CF Hood Photo Request

I've searched and searched and searched. Looking to comapre CF Hoods by different manufacturers so I can pick one out for myself. I'm looking for OEM style, but genuine CF with decent fitment. I was looking at 3D Japan, but let's just say I'm not trying to spend $3k on a CF Hood.

Currently, I'm considering VIS.

Also, looking at it, I don't even know where I would drill for hood pins. There's not a large support anywhere very high. I'm guessing it would require some long pins...

Last edited by Mega Man; 12-03-2009 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Check out the current Berk 1er. They have a Seibon OEM stlye CF hood on it.

and hood pins? This thing isnt a Cuda, but to each his own...

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
BrokenVert, I'm remembering seeing someone on this forum post pics of a Seibon CF Hood on an e82 with horrible fitment. Do you know if that's a representation of the product, or the installer, or both?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
BrokenVert, I'm remembering seeing someone on this forum post pics of a Seibon CF Hood on an e82 with horrible fitment. Do you know if that's a representation of the product, or the installer, or both?

No idea, personally the only hood I would ever consider is the Vorstiener one, never did any reasearch on any other hoods.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Vorsteiner hood on my 135 in painted and unpainted:

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
M.Bonanni
Yost Autosport #YAE92 Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yost Autosport #YAE92 Race Car

The previously mentioned Berk Technology Time Attack 135i complete with SEIBON OEM style CF hood...

Excuse the tape on that last one. Trying to reduce the drag for the last time attack. Every hundredth of a second counts .
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

There will always be fitment issues with non oem stuff, it just takes some time to get it set properly. If you dont want to take the time go to a shop and get it done but it can be done easily.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 12:17 AM   #8
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
onefastman, I don't mind taking the time to make a good fitment, and I enjoy DIY projects. I was just curious about VIS/Seibon products having bad fit as a result of their product, or installation. Friends of mine who have had experience with both have both said VIS is better (several of them owning Seibon first, then going to VIS). However, Berk's Seibon looks pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 07:06 AM   #9
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
from past experience w/ other car, seibon is usually not the best fitting one

hopefully its diff in our case
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
onefastman, I don't mind taking the time to make a good fitment, and I enjoy DIY projects. I was just curious about VIS/Seibon products having bad fit as a result of their product, or installation. Friends of mine who have had experience with both have both said VIS is better (several of them owning Seibon first, then going to VIS). However, Berk's Seibon looks pretty good.
We had a customer swing by with a Seibon hood to compare next to my Vorsteiner hood. The customer complained that the Seibon required a lot of adjustment and even with that, there was a good few mm gap all around the side and front of the hood. It is cheaper but Wet Lay carbon produces a less uniform weave and not as clean of a final product.

My Vorsteiner hood was installed in less than 10 minutes, the factory screw holes for the hood latch, grill set mounts, hood shock mounts and washer mounts were all pre cut for me. It was literally a plug and play install and a matter of lining it up like the factory hood.

The other advantage to Vorsteiner products is their CF is all dry vacuum form. This means they use a vacuum seal to adhere the outer resin to the CF weave which produces a uniform and stronger product that does not yellow or warp over time. I will be the first to say that Vorsteiner is not the cheapest and for good reason- I would not put a wet lay hood on my car.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
If only Vorsteiner made one that had an OEM look, and not one with grills. I would really like to get my hands on a 3D Design one, but from what I was told, they had a couple of "non-mint" ones going for $3k. I'm not sure who's buying them new for $4k, but that's a lot more than I'd want to pay for a CF Hood.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #12
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
If only Vorsteiner made one that had an OEM look, and not one with grills. I would really like to get my hands on a 3D Design one, but from what I was told, they had a couple of "non-mint" ones going for $3k. I'm not sure who's buying them new for $4k, but that's a lot more than I'd want to pay for a CF Hood.
Our SEIBON hood installed in about 15min. Very good fitment, I give it a 8.5/10. Non-mint for $3K, ouch!

PM me if you have questions on install. Always here to help!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #13
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
I've got the OEM style SEIBON hood on my car and have been by Jlevi with it, so I'm pretty sure Nick is referring to me. Like he said it doesn't fit too great. Here's a link to the thread I posted with some detailed pics: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252470

As you can see there are gaps on the side because the hood sits above the fenders. No matter how much adjusting we did I couldn't get it to sit flush with the fenders.

BTW, for those that wan to see the Vorsteiner hood on white just look at the BRracing threads (I think there is one in the photos section). I've see both theirs and Jlevi's in person and the fit and quality is awesome. I've actually been contemplating getting one to replace the SEIBON hood I have now. Either that or going back to stock because I'm just not happy with the fit.

Also BRracing was talking about and I think has put hoodpins on theirs. They found that I high speeds even with the great fit the hood tended to lift (they had some pictures from a track day that showed it). So if your interested in hoodpin placement I'd get in touch with them.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #14
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerlucas View Post
I've got the OEM style SEIBON hood on my car...it doesn't fit too great. Here's a link to the thread I posted with some detailed pics: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252470

...I've actually been contemplating getting one to replace the SEIBON hood I have now. Either that or going back to stock because I'm just not happy with the fit.

...So if your interested in hoodpin placement I'd get in touch with them.
Thanks for all the info, Dangerlucas. I'm definitely interested in hood pin placement. When you open up your hood, you don't have a large support (like what I'm used to seeing in Hondas) to drill into.

Is anyone running a 3D Design hood? If so, did you really buy a new one for about $4k or a "non-mint" for around $3k?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #15
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkTechnology View Post
PM me if you have questions on install. Always here to help!
Install looks pretty straight forward, but I'll probably be PM'ing you when my fitment looks off and I need some pointers. Thanks, BerkTechnology!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #16
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Hey Dangerlucas, can you define what high speeds are? 100+? 125+?

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #17
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Hey Dangerlucas, can you define what high speeds are? 100+? 125+?
I'm pretty sure I see some lift out of mine on the freeway where I usually go between 70 and 80. I'm not sure of the speeds that BRracing was going when they noticed the problem, so you'd have to ask them.

You have to keep in mind that these hoods are a lot lighter then stock and also have more flex to them. Given that the only place on our car holding the hood down is in the center (unlike the 3 that has latches on either side) it's not surprising that these hood tend to lift when they get a little air under them.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #18
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
All this talk of hood lift, reminds me of email exchanges I was having with VIS. Their website said Hood Pins Required. But in an email exchange I was told highly recommended since there is a latch. If the latch is fully engaged, it won't fly open, or off. I asked about warping without hood pins, and they said that never happens.

Regardless, I'm not going to purchase the hood until I find info on where to place pins (I'd rather be safe by having the pins, than sorry by not having them and something happening).
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 02:06 PM   #19
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerlucas View Post
I've got the OEM style SEIBON hood on my car and have been by Jlevi with it, so I'm pretty sure Nick is referring to me. Like he said it doesn't fit too great. Here's a link to the thread I posted with some detailed pics: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252470

As you can see there are gaps on the side because the hood sits above the fenders. No matter how much adjusting we did I couldn't get it to sit flush with the fenders.

BTW, for those that wan to see the Vorsteiner hood on white just look at the BRracing threads (I think there is one in the photos section). I've see both theirs and Jlevi's in person and the fit and quality is awesome. I've actually been contemplating getting one to replace the SEIBON hood I have now. Either that or going back to stock because I'm just not happy with the fit.

Also BRracing was talking about and I think has put hoodpins on theirs. They found that I high speeds even with the great fit the hood tended to lift (they had some pictures from a track day that showed it). So if your interested in hoodpin placement I'd get in touch with them.
Hey Lucas,

Thanks for jumping in. I didn't want to call you out hehe
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #20
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Vorsteiner is out of control. I feel like someone needs to sober these guys up. That pricing sounds great for a Porsche or Lambo owner, but simply absurd to charge 1/8 the price of the car for a bloody hood.
I had their splitters on my E46 M3, but would never buy from them again because of this ego they've developed making CSL knockoff parts.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #21
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
^^^The Vorsteiner hood is NOT 1/8th the price of the car closer to 1/23rd the price of the car. You must be referring to the 3D Design hood....
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 05:09 PM   #22
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Vorsteiner is out of control. I feel like someone needs to sober these guys up. That pricing sounds great for a Porsche or Lambo owner, but simply absurd to charge 1/8 the price of the car for a bloody hood.
I had their splitters on my E46 M3, but would never buy from them again because of this ego they've developed making CSL knockoff parts.
You can get a 1-series for $10,800? Sign me up please.
Appreciate 0