BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #67
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Well we could, but then all the other great things about our country we lose. One thing is for sure, as much as we want cheap cars, most of us would never move to another country or the US in particular.

Pretty much everything in the US is cheaper than here, but there is no way I would give up the lifestyle and security Australia offers. Much rather walk down the street knowing I won't be gunned down for my wallet or attacked by terrorists

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #68
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I love Australia, I just like to rant and vent about the differences in price every once in a while. With the way the AUD is going, you can pretty much buy anything you want from the USA, put it on a donkeys back and a few weeks later you've saved yourself a small fortune.

I'm always going to have envy knowing that Aston's go for 120k which is 335i money here. Maybe I love cars too much!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #69
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Cheer up mate! I'd give living in the US a shot. I just can't talk the Dutch GF ( who happens to have a green card...) into moving
      02-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #70
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Cheer up mate! I'd give living in the US a shot. I just can't talk the Dutch GF ( who happens to have a green card...) into moving
It was more towards the being gunned down in the street and terrorists thing.

I wish I had something to base a comparison on. I almost got to live in Australia for 6 months a few years back but life brought me in a different direction. I wish I couldve taken that opportunity.

Honestly I dont know much about how daily life is where you guys live.

But if he wants to go with muggings and terrorists. Id take that over yearly floods, tornadoes, and dust storms enveloping major cities for weeks at a time.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #71
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Honestly I dont know much about how daily life is where you guys live.

But if he wants to go with muggings and terrorists. Id take that over yearly floods, tornadoes, and dust storms enveloping major cities for weeks at a time.
And the deadly; crocodiles, snakes, cassowaries, vicious kangaroos & koalas, sharks, stingers, drop bears, bushfires etc, etc

Last edited by TimMc; 02-18-2012 at 09:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 12:25 AM   #72
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Oh didn't intend on being offensive! Sorry about that... but the US has just as many natural disasters as we have... if not more?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #73
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Well we could, but then all the other great things about our country we lose. One thing is for sure, as much as we want cheap cars, most of us would never move to another country or the US in particular.

Pretty much everything in the US is cheaper than here, but there is no way I would give up the lifestyle and security Australia offers. Much rather walk down the street knowing I won't be gunned down for my wallet or attacked by terrorists
The USA:

Second Amendment rights mean most states will issue pretty much anyone with permission to bear a weapon. One of the highest handgun murder rates in the world.

No government health care as we know it, the only developed nation without.
The US spends more on health care than any other nation, yet has one of the lowest life expectancies in the first world.

Superstition reigns supreme: division between Church and State is wafer thin if it can be said to exist at all. When was the last time a presidential candidate declared they were an atheist?

Undereducated and brainwashed: most Americans I know will pity me for lacking the freedoms to concealed carry to "protect my family". Or even funnier "to ensure the Government can never turn the Armed Forces on the People".

They will fight passionately against health care because "I don't want to pay for some poor person's medical care". God forbid you or your ever need expensive cancer drug or the like. Then you'll learn it's not all about "poor people sponging off the working families".

Government is blatantly run by special interest groups representing the wealthy and big business almost to the exclusion of the interests of the vast majority of the people.

They will tell you they pity you for the lack of protection as they are afforded by the First Amendment. We are to be pitied because we lack a constitutionally guaranteed right to freedom of expression. Just ask Julian Assange.

Those of you who watch American Sport and slick HBO series may think America is all about New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington, Boston. But it's not. It's a vast nation of Intelligent Design. Book burners. Pro Lifers. People who can cure homosexuality. Church going folk. God Fearing decent folk.

You have never lived somewhere where you are afraid to freely express your religious beliefs, your thoughts on sexuality, your stance of abortion or same sex marriage. The Summer of Love was over a long time ago, baby!

American government is by the people, for the people, by the people. The world's largest consumer of cocaine, fighting the War On Drugs.

America has the highest percentage of incarceration in the world and believes in capital punishment. Only China, Iran and North Korea executes more of it's own citizens.

The USA is the only country in the world to have used nuclear weapons, killing 150,000 - 250,000 men, women and children in Hiroshma and Nagaski in 1945.

The USA Military Spend for 2009-2010 exceeds USD $683 billion which is 43% of the world spend.

The US GDP is $15 trillion. The US public debt in 2012 is USD $15.3 trillion (101.8%). China owns 23% of US debt.

The US last had a trade surplus in 1975 and current trade deficit is USD $500-800 billion. The US Swap Rate is 000 to 025. US unemployment rate is 8.3% by it's own measure. Inflation is 3.0%.

Run for the hills.

Americans have dissed the Kyoto Protocol. They have maintained the use of miles, inches and other statutory measure, perhaps to keep life interesting by learning how to divide by 60 rather than 10. The country that put a man on the moon has not adopted the metric system.

High schoolers with Purity Rings. Abstinence-Plus and Abstience-Only. The teenage pregnancy rate is the highest in the developed world. Just can't figure out why ignorance and fear doesn't seem to work?

The US has the highest rate of HIV infection in the first world.

Oh I could go on but I think you get the idea.

I'll pay more for my car thanks.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #74
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post

I'll pay more for my car thanks.
wow you put a lot of effort into a post that preaches to the choir.

For the record I agree with everything. My country is in the shitter and it doesnt look like its going to be set straight any time soon.

Its why I took the opportunity to live in London for a year. Needed to get out. ha!

I do miss my car though.

Also for the record. I am in full support of a second secession. The northeast US (New England & New York) really needs to split ourselves from the rest of the country. There are pockets of people in the US who arent complete backwards asshats

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #75
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Mr Blonde.

You forgot the greatest sin: George W Bush in the White House!

TWICE!

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #76
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
Mr Blonde.

You forgot the greatest sin: George W Bush in the White House!

TWICE!
An idiot in public, but weve had far worse. If you look at a great deal of his policies and ideals he really wasnt that crazy and stupid as he was portrayed by the news.

One quote from him from 2005ish comes to mind that would absolutely sink a current republican candidate today

"I will be your President regardless of your faith, and I don't expect you to agree with me necessarily on religion. As a matter of fact, no President should ever try to impose religion on our society. A great — the great tradition of America is one where people can worship the way they want to worship. And if they choose not to worship, they're just as patriotic as your neighbor"

Its really sad that now a totally reasonable and expected position like this is actively shunned by most republicans in power.

Anyway I can debate US politics till the day I die, but its kinda pointless to do it in an OP here. Im pretty well versed in it so if you guys have questions start a thread and ask me what you want to know.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #77
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Peace BrokenVert!
Some of us just have a sense of humour and no political or religious opinions as all.
(Some might say even my sense of humour is sub standard.)
At the end of the day I dont mind who does what, lives where or thinks whatever, as long as they dont try to sell it to me.

(And I'm not suggesting that you are )

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #78
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
Peace BrokenVert!
Some of us just have a sense of humour and no political or religious opinions as all.
(Some might say even my sense of humour is sub standard.)
At the end of the day I dont mind who does what, lives where or thinks whatever, as long as they dont try to sell it to me.

(And I'm not suggesting that you are )
Ahh, well then, this is where things start to get awkward...because im actually here to invite you to the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-Day Saints.

Have you accepted the Lord and Savior of all men except the gays, muslims, jews, blacks, and orientals into your heart?

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #79
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Ahh, well then, this is where things start to get awkward...because im actually here to invite you to the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-Day Saints.

Have you accepted the Lord and Savior of all men except the gays, muslims, jews, blacks, and orientals into your heart?
Ha ha. Small world.
I actually sold a car to a Mormon only one week ago.
(At Australian used prices! He could have bought a new BMW in the US for the price he paid for a used japanese car from me)

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0