E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Motorola E815 and Bluetooth

10-14-2005, 09:50 AM   #1
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Motorola E815 and Bluetooth

OK guys --
I've got a couple Bluetooth questions, and believe me, I've searched the forums until my teeth are blue (sorry) and can't find specific answers. Can you please help??
(1) We just bought two new Verizon Motorola E815s, and I successfully paired one of them with my wife's iDrive-equipped 330i. After fussing with it for some time, I finally got to the cue to enter the default passcodes (0000) for each, and then was able to get the phone and the car to pair. All then seemed to work fine and the address book even uploaded. Life was good -- until I went back out a bit later and the phone did not automatically pair!! I'm not at the car now, or her phone for that matter, but does anyone have ideas on why this is happening? Is there a setting in the Phone itself that allows automatic pairing, and that has to be ON all of the time. If so, I'd have thought that the phone wouldn't have paired in the first place unless this was already selected (however I do now recall seeing some cue that asked if i wanted to "temporarily" [do something], but forget what that [something] was).
(2) If this automatic pairing/Bluetooth Power is always ON on the E815, how much does that consume battery life??
(3) If, for some reason, you prefer to talk privately on the phone, i.e. mother-in-law in passenger seat, is there a way to quickly switch back to normal phone use, i.e. not using the car speakers/mic?
Thanks
Mike
      10-14-2005, 10:01 AM   #2
afocoryw20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 + 325xi

Garage List
2006 325XI  [0.00]
2005 X3  [0.00]
1990 Mercedes Benz ...  [0.00]
1) maybe the pass key you entered is not the right one. My dealer told me the pass key is 1234. I have the same phone and it always pairs up. There is no auto pair feature. Do you have I-drive?
2) It kills the battery real bad. I bought a serperate charger just to keep in my e90
3) Do you have I drive?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2005, 10:16 AM   #3
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
First, the code is not important as long as you entered the same code on both the phone and the car. It can be any number. I have the V710, so there may be differences, but you need to just make sure that bluetooth is always on (enabled) and your device (car) is active. It should pair up - but I experience times when mines does not (I think it's actually the phone not the car that is the problem). Navigate to the "find me" option and push that - that usually does it for mine.

Good luck. If that doesn't work let me know and I'll try to think of more details that might help.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2005, 10:45 AM   #4
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys.
Playing with my own E815, I found that there is a function to turn Bluetooth ON (Menu>Settings>Connection>Bluetooth Link>Setup>Power:On/Off). I think hers might be set to OFF.
I'm assuming that that should always be set to ON??
When this is set to ON, is the battery drain only when the phone and car are actually paired, or does it also occur when the phone is nowhere near the car (i.e. her office)?
Finally, any thoughts on my last question -- reverting back to a private conversation??
Thanks
Mike
      10-14-2005, 10:50 AM   #5
Accounting4Speed
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

No fast way to switch back, you'd have to turn bluetooth off on the phone itself. There is no battery drain if you leave bluetooth on and are not paired to the car, so don't worry about that.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2005, 11:03 AM   #6
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo
Thanks guys.

Finally, any thoughts on my last question -- reverting back to a private conversation??
Thanks
Mike
I donno bout the motorro
But on my nokia, one of the option keys becomes "handset" when I'm using BT - if I just push that button, my call continues on my handset. On my samsung, it's options, handset and an old siemens phone i had could also do it - so i'm sure there is a way
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2005, 11:14 AM   #7
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Yes, you need to leave it "ON". It only drains when it's paired with a device (headset or car). I just keep a charger in the car and don't usually need it unless the battery was low to start with or it's a long trip.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2005, 01:30 PM   #8
JBM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi . . .

E815 . . .

Yup, you're right, the BT needs to be on. A good way to switch it quickly is actually to make the Bluetooth setup menu one of your custom shortcuts. That way, it's only a couple button pushes away.

Yes, the battery will drain regardless of whether the phone is paired or not. It's like the phone itself, when it's on regardless of whether or not your talking on it, the battery is used up. Admittedly, the drain is greater when paired and in actual use.

In terms of switching to the handset from the car speakers, I'm not sure. I have a Acura TL that is also paired with the E815 and the TL has a command called, "Transfer," that transfers the call from the car speakers to the phone or vice versa. I hope tha this is available on the 3 since i just placed my order.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2005, 03:20 PM   #9
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys for the replies. I'll turn Bluetooth ON on the E815, and play with it tomorrow to see if I get automatic pairing.
On the transfer back to the handset issue, even the reps at Motorola couldn't tell me how to do this. Their answer, just shut off the car kit, i.e. shut off the car!! Geez... But i'll also play with this and see if there is some soft button that pops up when a connection is established.
      10-14-2005, 06:41 PM   #10
JBM
Private
Rep

Info from BMW . . .

Well, I decided to call BMW NA for their opinion. They said that transfering a call from the car to the headset would be easy, just turn off bluetooth on the headset and the call should resume through there.

But transferring a call in progress on the headset to the car is not possible (e.g. talking on the phone, get in the car, must continue to talk on the phone unless you hang up and call again).

In other words, no, the bluetooth module in the car will not allow a transfer of calls to/from itself and the phone.

This is unfortunate and a glaring oversight of the bluetooth module designers. Johnson Controls makes the bluetooth module for Acura/Honda. This feature is implemented with their system as well as a host of others not available in other manufacturers' bluetooth.

Ah, well. . . .
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2005, 10:15 PM   #11
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM
This is unfortunate and a glaring oversight of the bluetooth module designers. Johnson Controls makes the bluetooth module for Acura/Honda. This feature is implemented with their system as well as a host of others not available in other manufacturers' bluetooth.

Ah, well. . . .

I want that. Why is it that the Japanese have enough foresight to use a better product in their car? I cant immagine it being expense.

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 12:30 AM   #12
Barry626
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming: 2012 135i

When your talking over car system.
Pick up your phone & click on menu.
You'll will see "Handset" push it.
Call transfers to "Handset" but won't stay there.
Only last about a minute & transfers back to the car.
Guess BMW doesn't want u to talk on "Handset" car only.

Other option is a "Headset" which I have Motorola HS850.
While talking over car system. Click on menu & bluetooth.
Scroll to your "Headset" # in my case HS850. Push enter.
You now transfer from car to your "Headset" can talk private now.

Personally, I don't see it as a over sight on BMW's part.
People should not be holding a phone while driving. PERIOD!
Hands free via car or headset should be all that is needed

Last edited by Barry626; 10-16-2005 at 12:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 12:40 AM   #13
Barry626
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM

But transferring a call in progress on the headset to the car is not possible (e.g. talking on the phone, get in the car, must continue to talk on the phone unless you hang up and call again).
Not with my Motorola 710 my calls transfer to the car.
Meaning: I have a call on my handset & I get in the car.
Car automatically transfers call from handset or headset to car.
The tricky part is other way around transferring calls from car...
to headset but can be done very easy.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 09:44 AM   #14
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Im getting this phone next week because it looks like its the best thing verizon has right now. My old LG is becoming extinct.

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2005, 08:26 AM   #15
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys for the replies. I'll turn Bluetooth ON on the E815, and play with it tomorrow to see if I get automatic pairing.
On the transfer back to the handset issue, even the reps at Motorola couldn't tell me how to do this. Their answer, just shut off the car kit, i.e. shut off the car!! Geez... But i'll also play with this and see if there is some soft button that pops up when a connection is established.
Here's the scoop from my experiments this weekend.

When you want to transfer the conversation from the e90 system back to the E815 handset, open the handset and press Menu, then select Disconnect Bluetooth. That's it.
      10-17-2005, 01:29 PM   #16
JBM
Private
Rep

Transferring from the headset to the car . . .

Barry-

How do you transfer from the headset to the car? When you're talking on the phone, walk into the car, turn on the car, does the call automatically transfer to the car without you having to do anything? Or is there a procedure that you follow to transfer the call?

Just wondering . . . and the only reason I ask is because BMW NA told me that this would not be possible. And of course, I'd try it myself, but my 325xi is not here yet.

Thanks in advance . . .
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2005, 01:52 PM   #17
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Some people are saying its possible while others are saying you cannot do it.

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2005, 09:59 PM   #18
Barry626
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM
Barry-

How do you transfer from the headset to the car? When you're talking on the phone, walk into the car, turn on the car, does the call automatically transfer to the car without you having to do anything? Or is there a procedure that you follow to transfer the call?
JBM

I have Motorola V710 with 2 different headsets "Anycom 790" and
Motorola H850 both work back & forth with my car.
Meaning: I was on a call on my "Headset" and walked into my garage.
Got into my car. Since I'm wireless the car will not pick up my call.
I go into my handset menu & select "Bluetooth" and highlight car #.
Hit enter & call transfers from my "Headset" to the car.
Once I hang up all future calls that come in, the car will pick them up.
I will have to talk through the car sound system.
If I want a private call? I pickup my "Handset" hit menu & select
"Bluetooth" and scroll to which ever "Headset" I want to use. Enter!
Call now transfer to my "Headset" and I can talk in private.

You can not talk on your phone "Handset" in car because the car will...
transfer the calls to car system. Guess BMW wants all calls Hands Free!

Hope all is clear above for you + others!

P.S. Every time I get in my car the car picks up the phone. I do zip!
Only time if won't pick up the phone is when I'm on "Headset".
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2005, 11:21 AM   #19
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry626
JBM

I have Motorola V710 . . . You can not talk on your phone "Handset" in car because the car will transfer the calls to car system.
If that's the case, then the 710 and the 815 are different. See my post above about switching to Handset on the 815.
      10-18-2005, 08:42 PM   #20
ex-poster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 328, 2006 330

My 815 will of course revert to the handset if I tell it to disconnect BT.

HOWEVER, after about another 10 seconds, if the car is still on, it will jump back to it. So, I cannot have a private conversation, everyone has to hear it.

If you're turning off the car and getting out, sure, no problem.

Not sure if this is a MOT or BMW "feature."
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2005, 01:01 PM   #21
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Hmmm . . . guess I never waited 10 seconds when I was testing.

Maybe it'll just be easier to keep foam earplugs in the glovebox, and make all passengers put them in on demand.
      10-19-2005, 11:06 PM   #22
Barry626
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm . . . guess I never waited 10 seconds when I was testing.

Maybe it'll just be easier to keep foam earplugs in the glovebox, and make all passengers put them in on demand.
Actually on my V710 more like 30 seconds & call transfers back to car.
Appreciate 0