BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-29-2007, 06:24 PM   #23
Dixi
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surname View Post
I thought Clarkson hated BMW's.:iono:
And you're right. He hates most of them. That's why I'm so happy to read that
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2007, 08:30 PM   #24
C_Topher
Señor Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixi View Post
He takes about an hour to start talking about the car. He also says "genitals". Great review. I am ready for some independent numbers.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 12:42 PM   #25
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

another Evo review w/ scans. not mine so i didn't want to just flat out steal it. Posted from Germancarzone.

01-03-2008, 07:47 PM   #26
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Motor Authority review
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #27
josh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, 135i

www.bimmer-mag.com (Feb issue) has a 135i review. They sure didn't like brake fade and understeer.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 03:11 AM   #28
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
www.bimmer-mag.com (Feb issue) has a 135i review. They sure didn't like brake fade and understeer.
:reposthorse:
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 12:40 PM   #29
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Glad to see that Clarkson liked the 135i, but he doesn't seem to understand how the turbos are setup:

But it’s the engine that impresses most of all. It has one small turbo to spin up the instant you apply the power, and then a bigger one that trundles into life later to keep the power coming

That's how the engine is setup on the 123d, but no so on the 135i. Clarkson is still a good read though.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #30
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Lots of new reviews added to the first post of this thread. Don't miss 'em!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #31
kobezklutch
wants a new 1er
Rep
Drives:

^i love you 1ster
      01-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #32
Twisted
TwistedHouse
Rep
Drives:

Hey all, i know this is odd for an early number of posts on my bit but i've been browsing these forums for a long time a year at least but i thought its time i voice my opinion. (I'm doing this with care and i dont mean to offend anyone)

I'm actually a bit shocked at some of the reviews of the 1er coupe

I'm really sick of tired of people complaining about space and the height problems in the 1 series. Because i'm thinking surely the coupe has the same / similar cabin ads the BMW 1 Series which as been out now... oh wait since 2004? Or have most people forgotten this point.

I've got a friend who is just over the 6ft mark and he has no problems with being a passenger in my vehicle or sitting in the drivers seat. And i mean please its a coupe not a 4 door so can you really expect legroom?

If they want big, buy a 3er coupe or an e90 sedan or hell even a 5 series.

My only contradiction of the 1er coupe (125i, 135i) are the options vs price. I mean here they're bringing out a 125i coupe and if you stock it out with options, you're better off going for a 325i coupe or if you add LITTLE more a 135i coupe. So really the price in comparison to what you're actually getting vs what you want is what's holding me back.

Other than that i think the 135i engine and performance wise, fits into the WRX STI market and the guys in their STI's are going to have something to deal with.

Imho, i'm more confused now than ever reading all of these mixed reviews. I was thinking of sitting in a 3 door 1er hatch but i think personally its best if i wait for a coupe and experience it for myself because sometimes i feel reviewers really dont consider the bigger picture or have never driven a 1er hatch before or don't really care about the points the consumers actually need to hear about.

Just my 2 cents.

By the way i see the glovebox has been redesigned? I"m guessing its still pretty small as it looks smaller....

(My apologies if this is in the wrong section)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 01:08 PM   #33
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted View Post
Hey all, i know this is odd for an early number of posts on my bit but i've been browsing these forums for a long time a year at least but i thought its time i voice my opinion. (I'm doing this with care and i dont mean to offend anyone)

I'm actually a bit shocked at some of the reviews of the 1er coupe

I'm really sick of tired of people complaining about space and the height problems in the 1 series. Because i'm thinking surely the coupe has the same / similar cabin ads the BMW 1 Series which as been out now... oh wait since 2004? Or have most people forgotten this point.

I've got a friend who is just over the 6ft mark and he has no problems with being a passenger in my vehicle or sitting in the drivers seat. And i mean please its a coupe not a 4 door so can you really expect legroom?

If they want big, buy a 3er coupe or an e90 sedan or hell even a 5 series.

My only contradiction of the 1er coupe (125i, 135i) are the options vs price. I mean here they're bringing out a 125i coupe and if you stock it out with options, you're better off going for a 325i coupe or if you add LITTLE more a 135i coupe. So really the price in comparison to what you're actually getting vs what you want is what's holding me back.

Other than that i think the 135i engine and performance wise, fits into the WRX STI market and the guys in their STI's are going to have something to deal with.

Imho, i'm more confused now than ever reading all of these mixed reviews. I was thinking of sitting in a 3 door 1er hatch but i think personally its best if i wait for a coupe and experience it for myself because sometimes i feel reviewers really dont consider the bigger picture or have never driven a 1er hatch before or don't really care about the points the consumers actually need to hear about.

Just my 2 cents.

By the way i see the glovebox has been redesigned? I"m guessing its still pretty small as it looks smaller....

Not sure if this is the right thread but you make valid points nonetheless.

**not sure if I said this before but this thread delivers!! woot woot.
      01-22-2008, 01:58 AM   #34
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted View Post

What size glovebox do you need.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 08:26 AM   #35
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
What size glovebox do you need.
It might not be big enough him to keep his 9mm. lol
      01-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #36
Twisted
TwistedHouse
Rep
Drives:

Lol... well to keep my pirated dvds hahaha (kidding)

Anyways i went to see a 135i in the metal today and i've got to say, screw what everyone else thinks. Its HOT. Just the right dimensions and space wise its feels a little bit bigger in the drivers seat.

Colouring the Sedona Red is definitely hot. it looks more cherry red almost in the brochures but up front its closer to a maroon type colour but in the sun it lightens up.

To sum things up the 135i is pure dynamism.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 09:11 AM   #37
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Hi there to my fellow South African. We are few and far between on here. Trying to get onto the net between Eskoms load shedding can be a PITA.

Twisted, please tell me where you managed to see a 135 and in Sedona, as this is just what I have ordered?? Is it available for a test drive?
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 08:52 PM   #38
sc135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 sgm/taupe 135i

SA-

Were you ever able to post the review from TopCar that is in your signature . . . would love to read it!:roundel::roundel:
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 09:06 AM   #39
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc135i View Post
SA-

Were you ever able to post the review from TopCar that is in your signature . . . would love to read it!:roundel::roundel:
I am really struggling to upload them. My home scanner is on the fritz, so I scanned them in at work, which converts the pages to pdf, but every time I try to upload them the site returns an error. Not sure why as it is within the limits set for uploads of pdf docs. I have even tried to copy the pdf pages as a pic and add those to word, but the quality is too bad to read clearly that way.

Anyone have some ideas on how I could upload them?
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 11:11 AM   #40
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

The Independent - UK

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/road-tests/bmw-135i-coup-the-ultimate-fun-drive-from-bmw-780390.html

BMW 135i Coupé: The ultimate fun drive from BMW

The 135i Coupé, like all its modern stablemates, isn't easy on the eye. But when you take that first bend, you'll believe it's a beauty.

BMW 135i Coupé

By John Simister
Sunday, 10 February 2008

Specifications:
Model: BMW 135i Coupé
Price: £29,745 (range also includes 120d and 123d). On sale now
Engine: 2,979cc, six cylinders, 24 valves, two turbochargers, 306bhp at 5,800rpm, 295lb ft at 1,300-5,000rpm
Transmission: six-speed gearbox, rear-wheel drive
Performance: 155mph, 0-60 in 5.3 sec, 30.7mpg official average, CO2 220g/km

Here are two BMW mysteries. What happened to the idea of a beautiful BMW? And why has the company never quite replicated the thrill of driving the very first BMW M3 (pictured below) – the four-cylinder, square-cut one from 1986? That car was one of the most enjoyable I have ever driven, yet it was also civilised enough to live with every day. Every subsequent M3 has been faster and more powerful but also bigger, heavier, more anaesthetised and the fun has gone.

Here, now, is the new 135i Coupé, which only maintains the mystery of BMW's abandonment of beauty; even the best-looking cars in the company's current range are only attractive relative to the really visually troubled ones. The original 1-series five-door hatchback had a curiously upright, dated nose full of clashing curves, while its flanks looked both dented and melted with that drooping sill line. The three-door looked tauter and tidier, but the style still sold a fine car short.

And the two-door coupé? Same again. The roof is shorter and there's a boot poking out at the back, but no one could call it beautiful. You're much better off inside it, driving.

This is the point of the 135i Coupé. BMW has not set out to do a remake of the original M3, but the broad parallels are there. Both are compact two-doors with powerful engines and rear-wheel drive, and neither is the 135i a bank-breaker compared with today's M3, whose number of cylinders, engine capacity and power are all double those of the original car.

Despite my misgivings at the start of this tale, one visual aspect of the 135i is positive: it instantly promises an enjoyable drive. Unlike most modern cars, the front wheels are pushed well forward with a minimal overhang ahead. That promises an even distribution of weight between front and rear wheels and an air of agility. So it proves.

It takes one joyful fling along a tight, twisting, preferably wet road to discover that this is where the best driving fun lurks within today's BMW range. The 135i flicks eagerly from one direction to another, instilling the confidence to take, in one accelerative movement, a bend on which a less capable car would be encouraging you to dab the brake. The BMW grips hard but it feels mobile and alive.

Its rear-wheel drive means you can tease it into a little powerslide as you exit a bend, all under easy control provided you haven't switched the stability system off completely. The electronic safety net is reassuring but hardly ever intrusive in road driving. It just adds to the fun by removing the fear and leaving you free to focus.

So there's a strong taste of that proto-M3, except that car didn't have any stability systems. Nor did it need them, thanks to its magical handling qualities and, compared with the 135i, its power deficit. But there's one way in which the new car still can't compete with the old: the steering.

The 135i, like many new cars, has electric power steering. :bs:(Another journo who doesn't know his arse from his elbow). It also has more power assistance than old cars had, as it's heavier. These factors combine to make the steering feel a little unreal at times, especially when returning to the straight-ahead position, which brings on a viscous resistance. The 135i will never match the delicacy and transparency of the old M3 in its steering, but in isolation it's good enough and very accurate.

And then there's the engine. It delivers up to 306bhp, and its 295lb ft of torque is available all the way from 1,300 to 5,000rpm, so it pulls like a good diesel from low speeds yet sings like the fine petrol engine it is at high speeds. Its two turbochargers are small – to give a faster response to the accelerator because small turbines can speed up more quickly – and its fuel is injected directly into the cylinders instead of the inlet ports. This allows the engine to run with higher compression, which is good for power and economy as injecting the fuel after the intake air has been compressed has the effect of cooling the air and avoiding damaging detonation (that rattle you sometimes hear when asking an engine to pull hard from low speeds in a high gear).

Being a modern BMW engine, it also has "efficient dynamics". This makes it, in some ways, a kind of passive hybrid. Once warm, the engine will stop when the car stops and the gear lever is placed in neutral, restarting the instant you depress the clutch. :bs:(Again, not on the 135i, this is reserved for the 4 cylinder models AFAIK)

The system also disconnects the alternator when the engine is under load, so energy isn't expended on charging the battery. As soon as you ease off the accelerator or apply the brakes, the alternator kicks back in to charge the battery – the energy needed to do this making the alternator shaft harder to turn and so adding to the braking effort. Should the battery run low, the alternator is re-engaged as needed.

So this very entertaining car – it can streak to 62mph in 5.3 seconds, and overtakes with little more than a flex of the driver's ankle – is also a greenish model that squeezes under the 225g/km gas-guzzler threshold.

The only dynamic snags arise from its taut, eager nature. It has BMW's M-sport suspension, which can make the ride choppy (but never harsh) on imperfect road surfaces. And the combination of a keen accelerator response and a springy driveline can make smooth progress hard to achieve until you have learnt the required lightness of touch.

But the six-speed gearshift is deliciously quick and precise, the brakes are firm and progressive, and it gives ultimate BMW enjoyment. More than a current M3? For me, yes. More than an original M3? That is harder to call. But for a new car, with all its safety features and greenness, to come close to a past master is cause for celebration.

I just wish it were a little more beautiful.

The Rivals:
Alfa GT 3.2 V6 Lusso: £26,400
Smaller, older-tech and less dramatic than the Brera, the Alfa GT is quietly elegant and very pleasant to drive. It uses the old, all-Alfa V6, and sales will cease soon.
Audi TT V6 Quattro: £29,365
Much less space in the back than BMW but great looks and a punchy, 3.2-litre, narrow-angle V6 engine. Not as much driving fun as BMW, despite four-wheel drive.
Mazda RX-8 High Power: £23,000
The 231bhp version of Mazda's rotary-engined coupé is the one to have. (He clearly didn't see the video of the RX-8 getting it arse whipped by the 135) Four seats, half-size rear-hinged rear doors, smooth pace and fine poise add up to a singular car.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 12:40 PM   #41
Drawarms
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 VW GTI

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...8i_coupe_drive

New 128i review
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 03:21 PM   #42
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawarms View Post
They are reviewing the 128 and showing photos of the 135. Plus mention 6-piston front brakes from the 135. Great journalism.
      02-15-2008, 03:31 PM   #43
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
And also discussed the sport seats as if they were standard.:iono:
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 06:52 PM   #44
dddd
Banned