BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-06-2016, 06:31 AM   #1
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, G20 BMW 330e

Got my Akrapovic Slip-on + N55 mids - I'm disappointed

Yesterday I finally installed the Akrapovic Slip-on (with wireless valve control) + N55 mids in my otherwise 100% stock 1M and I feel a bit disappointed giving the amount of money I spent. After all the reviews I read I thought it would be much louder.

I only did 20 klms with the new exhaust but it doesn't sound much louder than the stock one, I was expecting a much bigger difference.

With the valves closed it is much quieter than stock, and I'm happy with that, highway cruse is much more relaxing now. With the valves open (red mode) it is louder than stock, but not by much, it is still perfectly civilized, unfortunately.

Does it get louder with time? And am I the only one feeling like this? Also the remote loses connection alot of times, not perfect. At least it connects to my phone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 07:06 AM   #2
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Awkward. The sound is unmistakably different (except if you expected the sound of a fighter jet with afterburner active). Not stock at all. Push into the 4K-5k rpm zone and it's pretty agressive in 'red mode'.

Check if exhaust fumes also exit the outer tips on both sides of the exhaust when the butterfly valve is opened (red mode). If exhaust fumes only exit the inner tips in 'red mode', then something's wrong.

If it's a brand new exhaust and midpipe: the sound will evolve the more you drive (root build-up).
      07-06-2016, 07:22 AM   #3
BarleyE92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M sport

I went for the Lightweight Titanium slip on, with standard mids and i'd describe it as noticeably different. It's far more fighter jet than twin turbo now! (no quieter on the motorway though, which is a shame)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 08:08 AM   #4
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The butterfly valve is opening and closing, I can see and hear it opening and closing, so fumes must be coming out from both outter tips correct? And the tone at iddle changes noticeble when going from white to red mode. It sounds more raw in low revs, with more/louder burbles but at WOT it is still not very loud, with the turbos sucking all the air in. Even the start ups are tame, not louder than stock (that is a plus to me).

Maybe I was expecting too much? Thanks for the feedback.

And yes Artemis, exhaust and midpipe are completely new. My old stock exhaust was sounding louder and louder each day, to the point that during this time I waited for the Akrapovic to arrive (~2 months) I thought several time about cancelling the order.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 08:50 AM   #5
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

The cats in the downpipes will muffle things a bit, recommend going to catless downpipes if you want it a lot louder.

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 09:03 AM   #6
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Turbocharged cars never sound as good as naturally aspirated cars.

Neil
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2016, 09:41 AM   #7
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That is absolutely true, NA sound better. I just thought it would sound angrier.

Catless dp is not an alternative, this is my daily and I don't want the trouble with MOT and the smell etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 11:06 AM   #8
flzrider
Captain
Rep

An aftermarket pair of midpipes (such as MadDad) will be a good bit louder than the OEM N55s.

I have the Akra rear muffler (no wireless control, it is always in the open mode) and everything else is OEM and I think the sound is perfect. Any louder would kill the ability to daily drive it. But since you have the ability to open and close the valve, it could work out well for you.
      07-06-2016, 12:04 PM   #9
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

You'll have greater gains --and possibly better sound -- by going with catless downpipes and a catted mid-pipe.

Neil
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2016, 01:01 PM   #10
StrkdM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

if you are loosing connection with the wireless device, make sure your daytime running lights are on and or make sure your headlights are on.

The Device works off the power coming from taillight

If lights are not on wireless unit will not have power
      07-06-2016, 01:26 PM   #11
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just left work, after a while I went WOT in 1st gear, jesus christ the exhaust banged/pop so crazy and loud into second gear, damn!! I might regret this thread in a couple more days.

White mode is just so silent, amazing how quietly I can leave work now, wireless definitely worth it!!
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Artemis had the same combo on his old 1M(he know has a M2)... his exhaust sounded AWESOME!!

Appreciate 1
      07-06-2016, 02:46 PM   #13
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcgd21 View Post
I just left work, after a while I went WOT in 1st gear, jesus christ the exhaust banged/pop so crazy and loud into second gear, damn!! I might regret this thread in a couple more days.
White mode is just so silent, amazing how quietly I can leave work now, wireless definitely worth it!!
You will.

07-06-2016, 05:32 PM   #14
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Artemis had the same combo on his old 1M(he know has a M2)... his exhaust sounded AWESOME!!

My car isn't sounding like that, the start-ups are quieter now than stock! Artemis car on that start-up was sounding very loud, for sure it was only N55 mids and AK Slip-on?

Artemis how would you compare the sound of your old 1M with Akrapovic exhaust versus your standard exhaust on the M2?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 05:36 PM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
My car isn't sounding like that, the start-ups are quieter now than stock! Artemis car on that start-up was sounding very loud, for sure it was only N55 mids and AK Slip-on?
I'm pretty sure.

Also... all new exhausts will sound better with some miles(& carbon). My PE took a few thousand miles before it really got a deeper more mellow tone to it.

Dackel
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2016, 07:17 PM   #16
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Artemis how would you compare the sound of your old 1M with Akrapovic exhaust versus your standard exhaust on the M2?
My former 1M in the video shown above sounded just the way it normally should - yours will normally sound the same in the future. My 1M engine was 100% stock (no engine tune). It takes patience to experience how deep the rabbit hole goes. Your brand new exhaust and midpipe need miles to mature.

My M2 features the BMW M Performance Exhaust (MPE). I arranged that it was fitted right before delivery, so I never heard my stock exhaust. Though still young, the MPE has a deeper growl, less raspy, more burbly and banging than the Akra + the overruns are pretty cool. But let's not forget that we're talking about different engines too (N54 1M versus N55 M2).

Cold start of the M2 with MPE (stock midpipe and downpipes - no tune).

07-06-2016, 07:28 PM   #17
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Maybe I was expecting too much? Thanks for the feedback.
Most exhaust setups that I've had take a while to settle in. To me, it's actually an awesome process. I had a really nice mugen twin-loop exhaust on my type-r back in college. at first it didn't sound like much at all, but after a few track days that thing sounded like solid gold! like most modifications...be patient with it. As long as it's installed correctly, it'll really grow on you and you'll wonder how you ever got along without it in the first place.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2016, 03:26 AM   #18
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Artemis today morning I tried the wireless kit on the start-up, I thought the valves started open (and then closed after some seconds) because when I turn off the car I noticed that the valves open automatically. Today I pressed the valve control button and the start-up got really loud, similar to yours. It is good that is starts in quiest mode right away, so I don't have to worry about the noise in the morning, my 1M in the morning is like a pussy cat now, no loud start-ups compared to the stock exhaust, great. Your M2 sounds great too, but not too different from the 1M.

Akrapovic exhaust with windows closed, valves open it doesn't seem that much louder than stock. But with windows open it now roars rather growls, very raspy/agressive sound. I didn't have the time to listen to it correctly yet, a lot of work and the stress keeps me from enjoying it and taking a relaxing approach about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #19
Artemis
Rep

Experiment with "M Mode" (click the Ⓜ button) and default mode (do not click the Ⓜ button) and you'll notice that there is equally a subtle difference in sound. Default mode sounds better, especially in first gear.

The typical Akra sound seems to sing more obviously in default mode (non M mode), during soft but steady acceleration, especially when the engine is still cold. Try with a cold engine in "Red Mode": accelerate slow and smooth towards 3000rpm and then accelerate progressively between 3000rpm and 4500 rpm to trigger that hallmark Akra rasp to kick in. To me that sounds a tad better in default mode (thus M mode de-activated). With the M mode active, the 'rasp' sounds a bit muted when staying around in that rpm zone - with M mode inactive the aggressive rasp is more obvious.

As we know, M Mode is a remap, a more sensitive setting (see page 14 of this document: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/attac...2&d=1396203865), and it also appears to have an impact on the sound.
See also here.

More Akra trivia: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=36

Last edited by Artemis; 07-10-2016 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2016, 07:31 AM   #20
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN
You'll have greater gains --and possibly better sound -- by going with catless downpipes and a catted mid-pipe.

Neil
I second that, Akra w/ stock DPs sounds less aggressive. If you want the best sound I'd recommend cattless DPs and maybe do aftermarket high flow cats welded into a set of N55mids or Maddads if you have to have them. I'm fully catless and only have the valve closed while pulling out of my 'hood. The car sounds incredible.
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #21
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Maybe OP should remove the resonator in the N55 mids like the factory PE does.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 01:58 PM   #22
ALEJANDRO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White 1M 2012

get an HMS exhaust. you won't be disappointed!
Appreciate 3