BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-02-2008, 12:54 AM   #177
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Just for those who haven't seen the Press Release:

http://www.bmwsydney.com.au/scripts/...=10&SearchText=23/01/2008 M double clutch transmission with DriveLogic.
• New seven-speed transmission adds performance, even more refinement to BMW M3 models

Incomparably smooth, silky gearshifts in the blink of an eye, improved fuel economy and reduced emissions are just some of the benefits of the ground-breaking seven-speed M double-clutch transmission with Drivelogic that has been developed by BMW M GmbH for the new BMW M3 Coupé, Sedan and Convertible.

On top of these benefits, the new M double-clutch transmission with Drivelogic is able to produce lightning-fast gearshifts that result in accelerative abilities exceeding those of the six-speed manual transmission version of the new BMW M3.

The BMW M3 Coupé with M double-clutch transmission with Drivelogic is able to accelerate from zero to 100km/h in just 4.6 seconds, or 0.2 of a second faster than the manual six-speed version, while returning an average fuel consumption of 11.9 litres/100 km.

As the world’s first seven-speed double-clutch gearbox developed for a high-torque, high-speed powerplant, the new BMW M double-clutch transmission with Drivelogic simultaneously lifts refinement and efficiency to new levels while providing the driver with a wide range of options that adapt the system to the needs of the moment.

The new transmission offers as many as eleven driver-selectable electronically controlled driving program choices.

These include five shift programs in the fully automatic mode and six in manual mode, and are supplemented by a selectable Launch Control program that provides blistering off-the-line acceleration where the power from the 309 kW, 4.0-litre V8 M3 engine is transferred with maximum effect to the road.

The heart of the new BMW transmission is the double clutch system that acts to smooth out gearshifts to the point that they are often only discernible by watching the rise and fall of engine rpm on the M3’s tachometer.

Each oil-cooled wet clutch activates its own set of ratios – one is used for first, third, fifth and seventh gears, as well as reverse, while the other looks after second, fourth and sixth gears.

Gearshifts are effected by the disengagement of one clutch and the engagement of the other, moving seamlessly from the ratio in use to the next, preselected ratio.

The fact that the next ratio is preselected and engaged merely by activation of the clutch is the secret behind the amazingly smooth and efficient transition from gear to gear.

Combined with the BMW Drivelogic system that, as well as offering the driver a choice of seven specific operational modes, is also able to determine the appropriate mode according to the current driving style, the new transmission’s multi-faceted nature allows it to offer anything from rapid-fire F1-style shifting to smooth, luxurious behaviour suited to relaxed boulevard cruising.

The new M double-clutch transmission with Drivelogic also incorporates a Low Speed Assistant mode that operates when manoeuvring at speeds less than 5 km/h to significantly increase the smoothness and degree of accelerator control available to the driver.

Gradient detection also means that the new M double-clutch transmission with Drivelogic is able to determine the appropriate ratios when travelling up or down hills.

This avoids the “hunting” between gears so often experienced in regular automatics when travelling on undulating roads, while the appropriate selection of lower gears on downhill gradients helps maintain road speed by using the braking power of the engine.

The new M double-clutch transmission with Drivelogic also offers the driver the choice of sequential operation via a sports selector lever in the centre console, or solid aluminium F1-style paddles on the steering wheel - right side for upshifts, left side for downshifts.

The range of shift programs available to the driver means it is possible for the M3 to behave with the grace and aplomb of a luxury car, or with the knife-edge rapidity and precision of a racecar – or anything in between.

In fully automatic D mode, the driver can select from five Drivelogic programmes that regulate both the gearshift speeds and the change points right through to the D5 mode where the engine is stretched close to its maximum rpm – depending on throttle position - on upshifts. In D1 mode, the M3 with M double-clutch transmission with Drivelogic is able to start off in second gear to help avoid wheelspin in slippery conditions.

In manual mode, six different Drivelogic programmes allow a similar range of characteristics, with the added driver control provided by the ability to choose shift points manually. In S6 mode, the drive can also activate launch control by holding the shift lever in the forward position.

In keeping with the overtly dynamic abilities of the new BMW M3, the M double-clutch transmission with Drivelogic, as well as being designed for engine speeds as high as 9,000 rpm, is also able to maintain correct operating temperatures even in the most extreme conditions – including racetrack operation – through its integration with the engine’s cooling system as well as the fact it also incorporates its own oil/air cooler.

The transmission’s interconnection with the engine cooling system also means a quicker temperature rise from startup, which contributes to reduced frictional losses and lower fuel consumption during the warm-up phase.

Faster shifting, smoother, and contributing even more to fuel economy and minimalised exhaust emissions, the new M double-clutch transmission with Drivelogic raises the bar for sophisticated, high-performance motoring to new heights.
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 02:28 AM   #178
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Guys, I was in Sydney last week and I saw a 1974 BMW 2002 with a for sale sign on the window. Looks in very good condition. Asking $7,500. Worth a closer look?

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 04:46 AM   #179
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

BMW//MPOWER - Many thanks for that. Well there you go....a better informed salesman coulda made a $190k sale instead of a $93k sale.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 04:53 AM   #180
imported_Dodgy
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SG 135i 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
The press recently is for the cabrio, as the coupe was announced before christmas.
You are correct! (Not that I doubted you) Have found and article pointing to the coupé's appearance, hidden under announcement of 'vert and X6
      03-02-2008, 06:23 AM   #181
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
BMW//MPOWER - Many thanks for that. Well there you go....a better informed salesman coulda made a $190k sale instead of a $93k sale.
Lol, oh well, i guess it gives you the chance to switch rides in a couple of years. Don't have much sympathy for carsalesmen myself, blood thirsty leeches they usually turn out to be.
It's funny you say that, i've had a few instances where i was handing over dealer updates i'd got from friends to dealers after they told me that something i wanted was un-attainable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgy View Post
You are correct! (Not that I doubted you) Have found and article pointing to the coupé's appearance, hidden under announcement of 'vert and X6
Yeah, the press in aus isn't massive, being a bit of a car nut i've got a daily habit of checking out what's new in the auto world. Websites i think are worth a squiz at on a daily basis are www.motorauthority.com, www.leftlanenews.com there is also www.autospies.com but they're usually a bit late and theres a lot of junk on there, alternatively www.e90post.com and the forums on there are pretty good for upto date information(incl. the aussie one).:headbang:
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 08:20 AM   #182
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Hey guys, checked out the 135i at the motorshow tonight. IT IS PERFECT! Honestly, it looks much better in person than in pics. It's got a very sporty stance and really look like it is ready to pounce. Even the 261's which I wasn't keen on from the pictures look good in real life. I was expecting this car to look too upright and cartoonish like it does in some photos, but it really doesn't in real life. I love it! The interior is as expected, given that we have probably all sat in a 1 series hatch before. I felt very comfortable sitting in it. The car is perfect for me in terms of the styling and the size. It really has exceeded my expectations. I don't say this lightly either as I have had the pleasure of owning some pretty nice cars. Now let's hope it drives as well as it looks!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 08:44 AM   #183
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Thanks for the insight Way. Did you take any pictures? Was it the same Le Mans auto car as at the Brissie show I wonder?

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 08:46 AM   #184
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Hey guys, checked out the 135i at the motorshow tonight. IT IS PERFECT! Honestly, it looks much better in person than in pics. It's got a very sporty stance and really look like it is ready to pounce. Even the 261's which I wasn't keen on from the pictures look good in real life. I was expecting this car to look too upright and cartoonish like it does in some photos, but it really doesn't in real life. I love it! The interior is as expected, given that we have probably all sat in a 1 series hatch before. I felt very comfortable sitting in it. The car is perfect for me in terms of the styling and the size. It really has exceeded my expectations. I don't say this lightly either as I have had the pleasure of owning some pretty nice cars. Now let's hope it drives as well as it looks!
Cool!! Can't wait to see it in person on Thursday! How's the rear leg space?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 02:28 AM   #185
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3syd View Post
Thanks for the insight Way. Did you take any pictures? Was it the same Le Mans auto car as at the Brissie show I wonder?
Yeah I took a couple of pics, but it is no different in pics than anyone elses. Sorry, can't be stuffed hosting it! But yes, it is the same car as the Brissy one I believe. Also, there is a Le Mans convertible with the same colour combo as your car, and it looks great. I am seriously going to consider one as I don't have a convertible at the moment. I wonder if I could fit a baby seat in there seeing that it is much narrower than the coupe. No point getting a convertible unless my whole family can go in it.

Dodgey, no idea about rear leg room. Didn't look as I didn't care. :iono:
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 05:49 AM   #186
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Dodgey, no idea about rear leg room. Didn't look as I didn't care. :iono:
No worries, I'll check it out on Thursday
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 02:34 AM   #187
TMK001
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Biggest disappointment was there was no one to answer me questions on the BMW stand last night

I think the Nav screen is not supposed to be operated by hand

Nice to meet you Rodger. Hope the trip was worth it...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 06:18 AM   #188
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMK001 View Post
Biggest disappointment was there was no one to answer me questions on the BMW stand last night

I think the Nav screen is not supposed to be operated by hand

Nice to meet you Rodger. Hope the trip was worth it...
Well, I've read through the book several times now, but I also have more questions. I think I will definitely need to go see some of the options in action. (eg difference between pro and business sat nav, even if I'm leaning away from it)

Indeed! Great to meet you too! Trips to Melbourne are always worth it. I'm back in Sydney, in the rain again...

Hope to be back down again soon!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 06:42 AM   #189
black135
Private
Rep
Drives:

Does anybody know what the details are for the two hi-fi upgrade options, in particular do you get subs in these packages?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 07:18 AM   #190
jerms
Rep
Drives:

Hi!

black135, from my understanding both HiFi and HiFi Professional have subs under the front seats - the difference lies in the level and quality of the amplification and the fact that HiFi Professional is essentially similar to the LOGIC7 system, and thus has surround processing, etc.

That was one of the questions I had actually, and from what I gather, that's about the thrust of it - probably worth the extra $900-odd.

The difference between the two Nav systems, on the other hand, I'm still a little unsure about - can anyone shed some more light on this?

So everyone knows, I'm Chris and after initially only shortlisting 135i (against C220/C280 and the Elise, believe it or not!), seeing it in the flesh at Melb Motor Show totally made my mind up that it's the happy medium between the two. Plus the old man's reaction that a car half the new price of his E46 M3 is as quick will be priceless!

Thinking at this stage Le Mans Blue with Terra Leather and Brushed Aluminium (like http://users.skynet.be/bk232099/DSC_0015.JPG - although that's admittedly an E90), 6MT, HiFi Pro, Nav Pro. Once I work that out I guess it's off to the dealership to get myself a place in the queue. Anybody got any reccomendations as to particular dealerships in Sydney?

Cheers,
Chris
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 07:41 AM   #191
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by black135 View Post
Does anybody know what the details are for the two hi-fi upgrade options, in particular do you get subs in these packages?
Try here http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=28

That should have the Hi-Fi and Hi-Fi Pro differences :thumbup:

Got it from another forum member

The Pro has an amp, equaliser, better loudspeakers, and surround sound while the Hi-Fi has 10 loudspeakers, and the standard has 6 speakers (no subbies)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerms View Post
The difference between the two Nav systems, on the other hand, I'm still a little unsure about - can anyone shed some more light on this?

Cheers,
Chris
According to the book I got from a dealer at the Melbourne motorshow (yeah I flew down to check it out and also met up with some forum members), the Pro has it's own CD/DVD drive, 8 favourites buttons, and a high res 6.5 in screen that can show maps, arrows, as well as the bird's eye view.

The Standard uses the CD/DVD drive from the Pro radio (ie. combined) and displays maps OR arrows only
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #192
jerms
Rep
Drives:

dodgey, I got the same book, but I found it a little ambiguous in that it didn't show a side-by-side comparison of what they look like. My take was that it kept the screen, but lost birds eye. If the non-pro system loses the screen - essentially like the radio nav on E46 - then Pro it is!

I guess in theory the Pro system also allows DVD playback if one is so inclined?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 08:48 AM   #193
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Correct Dodgey, busines nav is arrows and voice command only.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #194
aus_buster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Check this thread for info

hi all, this guy explains the difference between business and pro nav in the 1 series quite well...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3595
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #195
jerms
Rep
Drives:

Hmm... I've had a play on an E60 M5 nav system and only really recall using the arrow directions, so losing birds-eye maybe isn't an enormous loss - although maybe I should at least have the option there.

As for losing the separate CD player, I'm likely to just be using my iPhone for music now that BMW has got full integration happening . Might have to be a bit meticulous about encoding rates given HiFi Pro though!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 05:45 AM   #196
TMK001
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

So the question is....

How many owners have had MINI's in the past? How many owners have iPhones? How many COI's? How many azn's? I seeing a trend here :-P

Hahaha!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 05:56 AM   #197
imported_Dodgy
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SG 135i 6M

Finally got to Motor Show today.

Agree with Way, all the..... way?

My main concern ordering a car without having seen it in the flesh was how it'd look.

I was pleasantly surprised. It looks great. Despite being marginally shorter than a 3, it looks much more compact. In person, there is much more substance to the shape than a 2D picture can reveal. I walked around it heaps of times looking for a "bad angle", and couldn't find one. The side profile is just great. Front on, has the aggressive face you want in your car.

I was a bit disappointed with the Nav screen. Looks a bit cheap. Will probably be hard to see screen in bright sunshine too. On the dash and no "hood" to shield it. Being on the dash, you look across to it rather than down, which I think is nice. I will like the better iPod and phone information presented on the screen, rather than on a 2 line red LED. The "Favourite" buttons etc will also be handy, but the screen was the low point.

I wouldn't plan on carrying anything more than a 10yo or African Pigmy in the back seats though.

And true to BMW form, not sure I'll get my clubs into the boot, let alone 2 or 3 sets.

Overall. Awesome car. Can't wait.
      03-08-2008, 09:22 AM   #198
jerms
Rep
Drives:

TMK001 -

1) Nearly - took a RCS instead of an MCS
2) Me
3) COI? I'd take that to mean conflict of interest... blame my job! What do you mean?
4) No, but I could see it :P

I think you'll be ok with clubs dodgy - I've got a bag with quite a bulky head cover over the top that I saw a bit over Motor Show weekend given I brought it down with me, and I think that extra indentation on either side of the boot near the rear of the car could save you... it might (hopefully) give you enough width to get them in. One of my concerns also, so I might do some measurements... two or three I'm sure you'll be pushing it, although I have enough trouble using all the clubs in one bag effectively, let alone three
Appreciate 0