BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-14-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
535XrayIndigo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

N52 Blueprints

I have spent hours looking for all the data on our stock engines and I have yet to find much. Looking for:
Cylinder head volume cc, valve clearance at TDC, gasket thickness, and piston volume. On this engine I believe that this would be a negative number. Also any other data that might be helpful.

I am looking to shave the heads for a higher compression ratio. I know this engine is an interference engine so I will have to adjust timing accordingly. Please forgive me for any ignorance as this is the first time I will be putting this type of work into this type of engine. (Last engine I blueprinted was a 350 Chevy.) I have noticed some on this forum are quick to call someone a fool before offering any sort of insightful input. Please prove me wrong in this regard. Many others seem to have a very high level of knowledge which I am looking for.

Thanks again n/a 1erz
Matt
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 01:04 AM   #2
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

See if this helps you out. It was posted on the e90 forum, so if the link doesn't work, I've attached it as well and should have everything I think you could ever want to know about the engine:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...hmentid=659246
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Spec.pdf (4.86 MB, 900 views)
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
harrytruman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
See if this helps you out. It was posted on the e90 forum, so if the link doesn't work, I've attached it as well and should have everything I think you could ever want to know about the engine:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...hmentid=659246
Thanks for this!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
535XrayIndigo
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks,
I remember seeing this before. Can't believe I forgot about it. Really cool read. Found some stuff I am not so fond of. (Aluminum bolts that have to be replaced whenever the engine is rebuilt.) Still missing lots of the info I need though. I am sure this info is somewhere. Where is the problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmTheOne View Post
Thanks,
I remember seeing this before. Can't believe I forgot about it. Really cool read. Found some stuff I am not so fond of. (Aluminum bolts that have to be replaced whenever the engine is rebuilt.) Still missing lots of the info I need though. I am sure this info is somewhere. Where is the problem.
The problem is that outside of that BMW university tech document, there is no real research on this engine. That would generally come from the aftermarket, but because this is neither a M engine or turbo, this info does not exist.
      10-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

That's what frustrates me so much. There are engines in the car market that are way inferior than the n52 yet they have 10x the support. n52 is a hidden gem in the rough.

edit: i do recall reading about completely race built n52's that rev'd to 8500 and had 285 rwhp, your best bet would be to find those teams running them and ask if they would give up any secrets.
      10-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
535XrayIndigo
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye View Post
That's what frustrates me so much. There are engines in the car market that are way inferior than the n52 yet they have 10x the support. n52 is a hidden gem in the rough.

edit: i do recall reading about completely race built n52's that rev'd to 8500 and had 285 rwhp, your best bet would be to find those teams running them and ask if they would give up any secrets.
Amen sir. I want to tear this engine apart and fully blueprint it. Flow the heads port polish and do a 3 angle valve job. I know it's a great engine but I've never been one to leave well enough alone. I want to build a race engine that can still be driven on the street (if only just.) I think I am not the only one that wants to make this car better. And I'll be the first to say that I wish I would have bought a 135, but doing all this work on my own has been way more fun. God knows a 135 would have only gotten a chip and a air box. Now my goal is to prove the -28 can be an amazing car with some work and a group of passionate folks. We'll see what my wife says about how much that costs though.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 05:36 AM   #8
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmTheOne View Post
Amen sir. I want to tear this engine apart and fully blueprint it. Flow the heads port polish and do a 3 angle valve job. I know it's a great engine but I've never been one to leave well enough alone. I want to build a race engine that can still be driven on the street (if only just.) I think I am not the only one that wants to make this car better. And I'll be the first to say that I wish I would have bought a 135, but doing all this work on my own has been way more fun. God knows a 135 would have only gotten a chip and a air box. Now my goal is to prove the -28 can be an amazing car with some work and a group of passionate folks. We'll see what my wife says about how much that costs though.
I assume you've picked the low hanging fruit (headers/disa/tune)? Would be exceedingly foolish to do what you're talking about before that. With those around you're sitting near 100 hp/l NA, which is nothing to scoff at.

BMW makes exceedingly free flowing heads from the factory. Probably not much to be gained there.

Decking the block may prove tricky as well-- Don't forget that the N52 is magnesium protected by aluminum. If you expose that magnesium, you may be able to literally watch your engine rust away. Then again, maybe there's space to do that there. I've never heard of anyone trying, so just voicing a potential pit fall.

IMO the N54/N55 is an awful engine compared to the N52.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #9
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Decking the block may prove tricky as well--
In the previously attached document BMW states that the block can be decked, but not bored. (Page 13). Cool photo on page 14, you can actually see the dissimilar metals at the deck surface.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
535XrayIndigo
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I assume you've picked the low hanging fruit (headers/disa/tune)? Would be exceedingly foolish to do what you're talking about before that. With those around you're sitting near 100 hp/l NA, which is nothing to scoff at.

BMW makes exceedingly free flowing heads from the factory. Probably not much to be gained there.

Decking the block may prove tricky as well-- Don't forget that the N52 is magnesium protected by aluminum. If you expose that magnesium, you may be able to literally watch your engine rust away. Then again, maybe there's space to do that there. I've never heard of anyone trying, so just voicing a potential pit fall.

IMO the N54/N55 is an awful engine compared to the N52.
The low hanging fruit is on my list. I know that this engine could easily handle a higher compression with a more free flowing exhaust/headers because of the reduced combustion temps. Just planning ahead as it is never to soon to do so and want to see how much knowledge is out there regaring these engines.

I am sure these heads flow a million times better than any old Chevy head but those small gains are exacly what I am looking for.

I will for sure agree with you that the more advanced engine is the n52 but the n54 makes more power easier is all I was saying <although this argument has been had too many times and should be mute at this point lol. I have a buddy that has a "built" n54 with 500hp (Chip and Meth injection) and points it out every time I talk to him about the n52.

I cant wait to see what woking with the internals will yeild on the n52. Does anyone know of anyone who has done so?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 04:43 PM   #11
J1Coupe
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Msport 6MT

Wow this is a great thread for n52 enthusiasts who are dying to "squeeze" what they can out of it. I use the term "Squeeze" because everything people have done in the past only yields such little gains but something tells me we are all missing something here. Its just a matter of failing and trying again. Now who has the money and balls for all that? huh? If i wasn't dealing with mine as a DD i would venture down that dark and lonesome road and find something for us. Hope someone does down the line before my impulsiveness makes me buy a honda civic as a DD and my 1'er as my tear apart weekend car. lol
Appreciate 0