sarge
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 1M E92 335d now gone

Advice on servicing

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi
I am in the process of buying a 12,000 mile 1M.
What should have been done service wise and recall etc.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Hi,

Maintenance:

1200 miles: engine oil&filter+diferential oil+tranny oil change
10,000 miles (in UK?) or anual: standard engine oil&filter change and control of the vehicle

Brake fluid should be flushed at least once by now (max 2 years) regardless of mileage too.

Depending on where/how the car was used it could be nice(r) to own a second hand car with cabin (A/C) microfilter and windshield wipers renewed as well.

Issues:

At least in UK, cars produced before a certain date (August 2011?) were subject to a software upgrade to avoid a blindspot in the alarm system which made lots of cars vulnerable and easy to steal;

Front wheel house plastic fender liners have been modified by BMW and if you suffer from slight rubbing even with stock tires and wheels you may ask your dealer to change them under warranty (there is a thread about it with PUMA number);

Rear mirror housing (gloss black part attached to the body of the car) could develop micro cracks due to a production/installation error; dealers change it under warranty after inspecting (my car never showed signs of it).

All typical issues and else plus regular maintanence tips and types of oils that must be used are in sticky threads. So better go and check those threads in the sticky section of this 1M sub-forum:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=760815

and

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620282

Enjoy the 1M!
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 02-28-2014 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
sarge
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers, great info
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Battery connector recall.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 06:44 PM   #5
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
True. I am not sure that was valid in all markets though.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 03:35 AM   #6
sarge
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Hi,

Maintenance:

1200 miles: engine oil&filter+diferential oil+tranny oil change
10,000 miles (in UK?) or anual: standard engine oil&filter change and control of the vehicle

Brake fluid should be flushed at least once by now (max 2 years) regardless of mileage too.

Depending on where/how the car was used it could be nice(r) to own a second hand car with cabin (A/C) microfilter and windshield wipers renewed as well.

Issues:

At least in UK, cars produced before a certain date (August 2011?) were subject to a software upgrade to avoid a blindspot in the alarm system which made lots of cars vulnerable and easy to steal;

Front wheel house plastic fender liners have been modified by BMW and if you suffer from slight rubbing even with stock tires and wheels you may ask your dealer to change them under warranty (there is a thread about it with PUMA number);

Rear mirror housing (gloss black part attached to the body of the car) could develop micro cracks due to a production/installation error; dealers change it under warranty after inspecting (my car never showed signs of it).

All typical issues and else plus regular maintanence tips and types of oils that must be used are in sticky threads. So better go and check those threads in the sticky section of this 1M sub-forum:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=760815

and

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620282

Enjoy the 1M!
Hi
What does control of the vehicle mean?
Also when I asked about the oil change he said it had one @ run-in and the next is at 20K,Should there have been one at 10k? What are the intervals for an oil service?
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge View Post
Hi
What does control of the vehicle mean?
Also when I asked about the oil change he said it had one @ run-in and the next is at 20K,Should there have been one at 10k? What are the intervals for an oil service?
Cheers
I was not sure what BMW UK suggesting as service intervals, it differs market to market; that's why I've mentioned it as something like '10K? in UK' It might be 20 there but I would not wait that long for an oil change anyway and would change my oil myself at 10K miles too, in your case now.

By 'control' I mean diagnostic control of the car to see if there are any codes etc. as well as a test drive dealers are keen to realize.

If the first owner never changed engine oil after the run-in service I would not wait till 20K miles to have the second one with these cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #8
GAZ 345
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

if it's low miles,the oil should be changed every two years
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #9
sarge
United Kingdom
Rep

Well this one has fallen through.
After looking at it carefully I noticed all panels except the roof and boot lid had been painted, also it had three previous owners not one.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #10
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
After looking at it carefully I noticed all panels except the roof and boot lid had been painted, also it had three previous owners not one.
Sounds like walking away from that one was the right decision.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #11
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Hm, might have had more than just an oil change.
      03-03-2014, 05:49 AM   #12
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep

Lol the battery connector recall was told to me by my dealer on my last service only when on the other hand should've noted me immediately once it was issued .
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 06:57 AM   #13
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
True. I am not sure that was valid in all markets though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1'M Blue View Post
Lol the battery connector recall was told to me by my dealer on my last service only when on the other hand should've noted me immediately once it was issued .
OK, I added the battery cable connector as issue #14 in the 1M issue log sticky (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=1).

However, to stand corrected, some sources quote that 1M cars are not potentially affected by this issue/recall. Indeed, there exists some confusion about it (see for example http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs...-b0aa031e8e7f: "The 1M and M3 models are not included"). Probably on some 1Ms battery cable connectors have been replaced anyway (several US forum fellows reported that their 1Ms underwent a replacement: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805698).
      03-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #14
Artemis
Rep

Check also these threads about 1M service intervals:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825956
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911935