BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-22-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
irishscrotum
Rep
Drives: 135i

Swirls under 3M protective film?

I recently had 3M protective film applied my Jet black 135i. I initially opted to go without the film but after a couple thousand miles I noticed a few rock chips and was not interested in continuing that trend. I went ahead and scheduled the appointment with a local detailing shop that is a 3M certified installer and was told over the phone that the paint had to be perfect before applying this film and they would take care of it.

I took the car in and discussed the coverage I wanted and was told it would cost 1,500 bucks. While that sounded a bit pricey to me I figured it was worth it to have the few paint chips touched up, the car cleaned, and the film applied (full front bumper, full hood, full side fender, front half of roof and A pillars, mirrors, and behind the rear wheels).

I picked the car up near the end of the day and the sun was setting. It looked amazing and they did a really good job applying the film. When I got back to my office I parked under one of the lights in the lot and when I got out I noticed there were still swirl marks all over the car. I wasn't surprised that they were in places where the film wasn't applied but I was surprised that it was UNDER all of the film too. Having just paid 1,500 bucks I'm a bit concerned. Should I go back and ask that they remove the film, clay bar and polish the paint, and then re-apply? Is that unreasonable? I was under the impression that the shop would make the areas where the film was going to applied fairly spotless. I wouldn't normally care about some swirls but I can't just take this in to a detailer and have those removed.

Any suggestions on what I can do to resolve this and still maintain a good relationship with the shop I took that car to? Are my concerns ridiculous? I'll take pictures tomorrow when the sun is actually up.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
bmwsam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Garage List
2012 135i  [0.00]
I would start by going back to the shop and inquiring about the swirl marks since you specifically asked to have the car cleaned up before the protection was applied. I had a 3M film applied to my car too (within a week of taking delivery) and the shop was very accommodating to me and told me that if i didn't feel they did a "perfect" job they would redo the film until it met my satisfaction. Luckily, they did a great job and I've had no problems since.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
NFexec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 E91; '12 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsam View Post
I would start by going back to the shop and inquiring about the swirl marks since you specifically asked to have the car cleaned up before the protection was applied. I had a 3M film applied to my car too (within a week of taking delivery) and the shop was very accommodating to me and told me that if i didn't feel they did a "perfect" job they would redo the film until it met my satisfaction. Luckily, they did a great job and I've had no problems since.
what he said!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 12:22 AM   #4
bmwsam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Garage List
2012 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFexec View Post
what he said!
It's actually "she" but thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

I'd take it back, that is way bunch of $$ to cover swirl marks. You might want to look for specks and air spots under the plastic while you are at it.
Appreciate 0