BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-14-2009, 11:28 PM   #23
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

I was fearing that answer - but I'm not really surprised.

I guess I better get some Zaino.

Where are people getting it from, and which products are you using on these hard to maintain colours?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 02:20 AM   #24
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Le Mans is certainly not as good as grey or silver for hiding the dirt but nowhere near as bad as black.
      06-15-2009, 04:00 AM   #25
amalgamman
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i sapphire black

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfi2906 View Post
I was fearing that answer - but I'm not really surprised.

I guess I better get some Zaino.

Where are people getting it from, and which products are you using on these hard to maintain colours?
Try out this link, compliments of Gumball on earlier thread

http://www.zainobros.com.au/
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 04:09 AM   #26
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

keeping a close eye on this thread.... I've got a lot of stuff in the shed from keeping the MINI clean and shiny, but I'm planning on getting all new stuff when the new car arrives. Budgetting ~$300 for new wax, microfibre, claybar etc at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 08:17 AM   #27
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

I am going to try some Crystal Rock - hopefully it's as good as it sounds. I wish I know how to budget like you MickyD.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 09:58 AM   #28
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

If your after great quality products at sub-Meguiars prices, check out these guys - www.chemguys.com.au

I don't understand how they can be so cheap, but I'm not complaining!!!
      06-15-2009, 06:24 PM   #29
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalgamman View Post
Try out this link, compliments of Gumball on earlier thread

http://www.zainobros.com.au/
Thanks for that - interesting read.

I am however, a bit confused about the "Zaino process". On a brand new LeMans Blue car that's garaged day and night when not being driven, what are the recommended products and how are they applied. I've heard of folks using Z2 & Z5 in combination, but they both appear to be polishes. Do I have that wrong?

Do you use Zaino in the same way as conventional products - clean the surface, get rid of any marks, polish, then seal? Or is it different? If so, how does it work? And what products?

What's the ZFX product all about? Is it necessary?

Sorry for all the questions, but if I'm going to spend the kind of $'s they want for Zaino, I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 06:54 PM   #30
EINSER
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Gray E92

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
The following is just my opinion so take it as just an opinion. I have used Zaino for a couple of years on cars that were silver, white, dark gray, and light blue. The results were always fantastic. My 1er is my first high maintenance color (BSM) and I started out using Zaino on it. Like always the shine was incredible but I got really curious about the Swissvax Blau Weiss so I gave it a try. After comparing both, I am leaning towards a preference for the Swissvax only because it seems to hide imperfections better than Zaino while still giving an awesome shine and depth. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either product. Just remember if you go Zaino, please don't think they are exaggerating when the instructions say less is more when applying!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 12:15 AM   #31
CT135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2009 135i Coupe  [0.00]
has anybody used this? http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/pr...vax/blau_weiss
"Blau-Weiss, German for Blue & White, is Swissvax’s premium wax for BMW paints."
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 12:42 AM   #32
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
I know there are a bit of information on maintenance forum, but just want to see if anyone here has compare the two products. I know it's going to be personal preference after all as Swissvax seems to give a wetter/deeper look, and the Zaino seems to give a more sterile look.

Particularly, want to see if there's much point using swissvax on a white car, but then again, I would probably going to buy just one product and if the Swissvax is better on the black, I might just going to use that on the white car.
I am now using swissvax concorso and am extremely pleased with the results. I have tried all different products off the shelf incl autoglym but not zaino. Autoglym was good until I tried the swissvax and never looked back!

However, having said the above what most people forget is that the LSP (last stage product) will only account for between 5-10% of the final look. 90% of the shine will depend upon how you prepare the car. If you prepare the car properly, any wax or sealant can be made to look good. And by preparing properly I mean the following steps:

1. wash - use 2 buckets one for shampoo one for rinse, use microfibre wash mitt, this all helps prevent further scratches or swirl marks
2. Dry with a microfibre waffle weave
3. clay bar - plenty of lubricant
4. polish - this step will take the longest and how many steps will be determined on how bad your paintwork is. This part will also be critical in getting that brilliant mirror finish look. Using a random orbital sander is preferrable if you are a beginner. If done correctly any LSP will look good and vice versa.
My preferred polish is the Menzerna range of professional polishes.
5. Wash again to get rid of polishing dust
6. Cleaner fluid to prepare the paint for bonding with the wax/sealant
7. Finally the wax or sealant of choice.

Now the above steps would only need to be done once or twice a year.
Following that you will only need to wash and dry weekly (use the 2 bucket method as above and use a shampoo that will not strip off your wax/sealant), and top up your wax/sealant every 6-12 weeks.

If prepared properly then your weekly wash will yield outstanding results, as good as the day you detailed it.

Now with white cars, either wax or sealant would yield almost identical results - its all in the preparation as above. Darker cars tend to show a deeper richer colour and shine with waxes over sealants.

Also if you value your paintwork, NEVER take it through a car wash and never let those hand wash places clean your car - I learnt the hard way as I was lazy on one occasion.

so i will stop here - sorry about the lengthy writeup!!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 12:46 AM   #33
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT135 View Post
has anybody used this? http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/pr...vax/blau_weiss
"Blau-Weiss, German for Blue & White, is Swissvax’s premium wax for BMW paints."
I use carecarproducts.com.au for all my detailing needs, however I find that swissvax waxes are cheaper if you go directly to the swissvax website. They pretty much cover everything you will ever need and have a wide range of products.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 04:38 AM   #34
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
I use carecarproducts.com.au for all my detailing needs, however I find that swissvax waxes are cheaper if you go directly to the swissvax website. They pretty much cover everything you will ever need and have a wide range of products.
I was wondering about that, I might get the wax from them then as it's almost $300 difference. Unlese waxit is prepare to match.
Appreciate 0