BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-18-2009, 12:13 AM   #23
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Dicking around? all i did was simply upgrade the chip to the latest and now i can switch maps from inside the car. You dont need to touch it. You leave it there...

You have a warranty? backed by who? Will they honestly replace your engine if it blows up? I HIGHLY doubt it.

You mentioned its not invisable, so BMW will see it and tell you they wont warrant any claims. You're opening a huge can of worms by doing this with your car. Just be wary!

I personally wouldnt want some mug tuning my car, JB has been developing this for over a year, with thousands and thousands of cars, altitudes, feedback, forum development.

I wouldnt trust ANYTHING else.
Exactly, my reaction as well when you stated the dicking around with ECU tuning. What's to dick around there? Car is in overnight, returned to you next day - thats it - end of story. How is that 'dicking' around??

I never said that the tune was visible. I said it was invisable as in it cannot be detected. And the warranty is offered by DMS - they have an insurance policy to cover this (However I must admit, I would also want to see the fine print).

DMS in the UK is a highly respected ECU tuner and have been around for many years doing cars such as BMWs, porsche, ferrari and other italian exotics. They also have their own test cars to actually carry out all the R+D. You mention Jb having over a years research on it, well DMS have had approx 3 years research gone into it. They have featured in BMW car magazine as well as many others with rave reviews.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bagging JB3 (as you seemed to be doing with ECU tuning). I am merely presenting the arguments for it so as to give readers some insight. I HAVE looked at JB3 and I am still evaluating which way to go...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 01:16 AM   #24
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post

I personally wouldnt want some mug tuning my car, JB has been developing this for over a year, with thousands and thousands of cars, altitudes, feedback, forum development.

I wouldnt trust ANYTHING else.
Kris,

fuel + timing + boost = tuning at the basic level.

Ask any reputable tuner if riding the factory knock sensor as the only means to adjusting timing is a good method long term for tuning....

There is no evidence that the JB3 does anything other than fuel and boost alterations.

Yes it works, is it safe or the best method of tuning your car I don't think so.

While I may be biased towards the procede, I recognize that the people behind the box have 10+ years experience tuning turbo cars....

Just my 0.02c worth.

Cheers,

Stuart
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 02:39 AM   #25
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Ideally I would like to go for the JB3 with a BT Scanner to clear any codes that might be thrown. The JB3 is cheap, very highly regarded amongst the 1addict community and very powerful. Only thing that's holding me back is I would never be able to install it myself or know what to do, no matter how easy the instructions are. I'm hopeless when it comes to any technical aspect of the car. This is why a tune seems like the only way to go for people in my situation.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 05:01 AM   #26
oneill3
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe

From who and where can you buy the JB3 from in Australia, or more specifically, Brisbane?

What about the procede? Who and where can you get them from?
      06-18-2009, 05:36 AM   #27
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
You will have to order online from the US oneill3.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 06:19 AM   #28
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneill3 View Post
From who and where can you buy the JB3 from in Australia, or more specifically, Brisbane?

JB3 direct import from the US.. Here is the link mate..

http://www.burgertuning.com/products.html
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 05:20 PM   #29
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneill3 View Post

Procede will be stocked and supported locally (i.e. in Aus) shortly, I'll let those involved get into specifics when they are ready to do so. But it's an exciting development to the product IMHO.

There is also several rev1 hardware versions out there from users that have upgraded to rev2 hardware. I can hook you up if you like.
Appreciate 0