BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-28-2009, 08:04 AM   #1
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Grinning like an idiot....

That's me. I just can't wipe the smile off my face.

I picked up my 135 Manual Coupe yesterday, and it's better than I remembered from the test drives.

I know,

and I'll fix that as soon as I get the chance. But in the interim, it's leMans Blue, with Black, and accented aluminium trim.

It came with Bridgestone tyres, not the Dunlops some are getting. And it doesn't have the bonnet insulation.

I've RTFM, and still can't answer a couple of questions:
1. Is it possible to set a speed at which you get a warning - I've seen it mentioned in the manual, but can't find it in the menus.
2. I can't get it to use the memory settings for the seat, mirrors, radio, AC, etc when I use my key. Again, it's in the manual, but I can't get it to work. Is there a trick to it?

The car doesn't have nav, so no iDrive.

In terms of impressions of the car - what a masterpiece. I'm still being cautions because of both unfamiliarity and running in. But even so, I can see that this is going to be sooo much fun - it is already, and I can't use half of what it has to offer.

So if you see a middle-aged guy driving around in a LMB coupe, grinning like a complete idiot, that'll be me, so give me a wave.

Last edited by bfi2906; 06-28-2009 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 125i coupe

Congrats, the 135i in manual must be amazing, what an engine!

i'm not sure about the speed warning on a non-idrive model, on mine the speed warning's in the navigation menu, so am not sure how you'd set it on yours.

Edit: the sales person set up the speed warning at 68km/hr.. it took me ages to figure out how to turn it off as it was going off constantly (not great for my license i know).
      06-28-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Welcome to the twin tubro addiction. Congrats
      06-28-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Congrats! Have fun with your new car!

The dealer didn't even notice the tyres were different, as they are not allowed to take the wheels off apparently. I spoke to the tyre place and they said they have contract in place for all makes of tyres, so randomly, it will have to put the other brand in? I am putting in some p.zero soon so, it doesn't bother me that much.

The key should automatically revert to the last setting, so you shouldn't need to do anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
~sarah~
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135  [10.00]
Nice! cool colour choice, I have Lemans Blue as well. hehe
I have had mine for a couple of months now and i am still grinnign like an idiot.
      06-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Congrats mate..Enjoy..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
CT135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2009 135i Coupe  [0.00]
welcome to the club! And like others have said ... that grin does not disappear!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfi2906 View Post
So if you see a middle-aged guy driving around in a LMB coupe, grinning like a complete idiot, that'll be me, so give me a wave.
Looks like we've got a lot in common bfi! Congratulations.
      06-28-2009, 11:13 PM   #9
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Thanks for your kind wishes, folks.

While I haven't been able to "unleash the beast within" yet, but this car feels so much like a modern version of my old e30. Small'ish car, ample engine, well sorted suspension and steering, and overload on fun factor.

I've had each 3er since the e30, and as we all know, it's just grown and become more sedate over time. That's not to say the 3er's have not been, and still are great cars - beacuse they clearly are. Now, they just appeal to a different kind of buyer.

Even the 335 coupe has a completley different feel to it than the 135. And in my view, it's a lot more than simply the size of the car, and the consequesces of that.

Both great cars - but quite different.

I still can't get the two issues in my original post sorted, and it's driving me mad. Anyone able to help. Even if the answer is "it can't be done because.......", at least I'd know and stop trying.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 11:23 PM   #10
CT135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2009 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfi2906 View Post
I've RTFM, and still can't answer a couple of questions:
1. Is it possible to set a speed at which you get a warning - I've seen it mentioned in the manual, but can't find it in the menus.
2. I can't get it to use the memory settings for the seat, mirrors, radio, AC, etc when I use my key. Again, it's in the manual, but I can't get it to work. Is there a trick to it?

The car doesn't have nav, so no iDrive.
1. I think it can be done ... but I have iDrive so don't know how else to do it.
2. It *should* just be automatic to each key - it will go back to the last settings when that key was used. So while it would work if you're sharing the car and you each have your own key, if you use Valet parking for example - where you and the valet are using the same key - then the settings could be changed if the valet moves things around. That's where the memory in the seat can be useful for seat position and mirror position.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 03:18 AM   #11
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Congrats! Just past my 12 month point, still suffering permaginitis. ENJOY!!

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 03:59 AM   #12
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT135 View Post
1. I think it can be done ... but I have iDrive so don't know how else to do it.
2. It *should* just be automatic to each key - it will go back to the last settings when that key was used. So while it would work if you're sharing the car and you each have your own key, if you use Valet parking for example - where you and the valet are using the same key - then the settings could be changed if the valet moves things around. That's where the memory in the seat can be useful for seat position and mirror position.
+1

Also, check which key you've got. I thought I have lost my settings initially, but all I have done was start the car with another key. The other thing is on the iDrive, there is a setting to turn it on, so you might actually to turn it on.

Otherwise - you just have to read your manual.
Appreciate 0