BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-08-2008, 09:13 PM   #67
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Nearly there...

48 now, so two more years and I will switch over to APIA..:biggrin:.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #68
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post

Nearly there...

48 now, so two more years and I will switch over to APIA..:biggrin:.
Yeah, six more years & I'll be there. Might join the Ulysses club too.
I like the way I get labled a "Junior Member" here. Almost makes me feel young...
      09-08-2008, 09:46 PM   #69
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Yeah, six more years & I'll be there. Might join the Ulysses club too.
I like the way I get labled a "Junior Member" here. Almost makes me feel young...
You can edit the "Junior Member' by:-
  • Go to User CP
  • Edit profile tab
  • Custom User title
Whatever you want to be... "Soon to be Pensioner"..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #70
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
You can edit the "Junior Member' by:-
  • Go to User CP
  • Edit profile tab
  • Custom User title
Whatever you want to be... "Soon to be Pensioner"..
Thanks but, - I like the way I'm labled a "Junior Member" here. Almost makes me feel young:smile:
      09-09-2008, 10:54 PM   #71
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Guys, just a hint: If you fill in a web form and get your request for a quote declined, give 'em a ring and ask why. I did this with Ryno, as per recommendations here, and found out that it was because the vehicle wasn't garaged in a secure, lockup carport.

When I explained the circumstances, they have agreed to relook at it. I also found that I'd picked the wrong NCB option before too (5 instead of 1).

So, if you have the option, go with the human :smile:.

PS: The dealer's just emailed me and said I should have the car next week!
      09-11-2008, 02:52 AM   #72
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Experience with Ryno?

Hi guys, I've got the quote back from Ryno and it certainly looks as if it's going to be very competitive. Has anyone had any practical experience with Ryno as a company to deal with?
      09-11-2008, 03:29 AM   #73
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Hi guys, I've got the quote back from Ryno and it certainly looks as if it's going to be very competitive. Has anyone had any practical experience with Ryno as a company to deal with?
I'd like to know this as well, unless Suncorp comes back with something better (I'm waiting to hear back) Ryno looks like winning my business.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 06:29 AM   #74
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
I'd like to know this as well, unless Suncorp comes back with something better (I'm waiting to hear back) Ryno looks like winning my business.
Mattyv, the quick search I've had on the net doesn't find anything bad. It appears that they dumped (didn't renew) a whole load of higher risk insured a year or so ago, when they went to Lloyds, but no negative comments.

Their price is so far below the $1800 from HBF that I really have to consider them seriously. If it was close, I'd stick with HBF, but around grand less is considerable!!
:eyebulge:
I tried Shannons online, but as the car is over $50K, can't get an online quote. Will make a few calls tomorrow if I get time.
      09-12-2008, 09:22 AM   #75
SimonB
Australia
Rep

If anyone's interested, Ryno have quoted me $945 for 12 months comprehensive insurance, being for an insured agreed value of $91,000. I'm pretty happy with that, needless to say. They also do 12/4/2 installments, for no extra cost, via direct debit.

The following is their statement, emailed to me, concerning options, accessories or mods:
Any options and/or accessories/modifications that are

- noted on your application,
- accepted and agreed to by us,
- noted on your policy schedule,
- and are legal in your State,

will be covered.
If anyone wants any more details (within reason) such as exclusions etc, just holler.
      09-12-2008, 09:30 PM   #76
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
If anyone's interested, Ryno have quoted me $945 for 12 months comprehensive insurance, being for an insured agreed value of $91,000. I'm pretty happy with that, needless to say. They also do 12/4/2 installments, for no extra cost, via direct debit.

The following is their statement, emailed to me, concerning options, accessories or mods:
Any options and/or accessories/modifications that are
- noted on your application,

- accepted and agreed to by us,
- noted on your policy schedule,
- and are legal in your State,
will be covered.

If anyone wants any more details (within reason) such as exclusions etc, just holler.
Thanks Simon. Any mention about nominated repairers etc?
      09-12-2008, 09:42 PM   #77
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Thanks Simon. Any mention about nominated repairers etc?
From the PDS:

Repairs
Our repair policy is to allow you to choose your own repairer if you wish but we reserve the right to choose if the cost of a repairer we have not authorised is reasonable or not. For full details of our repair policy, see the policy wording under “Repairs”.
      09-12-2008, 09:47 PM   #78
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
From the PDS:

Repairs
Our repair policy is to allow you to choose your own repairer if you wish but we reserve the right to choose if the cost of a repairer we have not authorised is reasonable or not. For full details of our repair policy, see the policy wording under “Repairs”.
Thanks mate. I'll check them out!
      09-13-2008, 03:55 AM   #79
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

I now have a qte from both AAMI and BM, (garaged/42years+/Canberra/max NC bonus etc)

AAMI $1220
BMW $1270
(same excess)
  • BM offers 2 years new car replacement, AAMI doesn't.
  • BM offers your choice of repairer, AAMI won't, then there is the concern that AAMI may use 2nd hand or NON OEM parts.
Decision is easy for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2008, 05:54 AM   #80
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I'm going to go back to Shannons and see if they can compete a bit better with Ryno now we're keeping the gf's car as a "shopping-cart".

I'll be able to justify limited use on the car then.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2008, 09:37 AM   #81
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Mattyv, is it only online online quotes that they won't accept an insured value of over $50,000 then?
      09-13-2008, 05:51 PM   #82
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Mattyv, is it only online online quotes that they won't accept an insured value of over $50,000 then?
Yup. I normally call Shannons and chat directly with them. With the exception of one guy a couple of years ago I find the Shannons guys to be an exceptionally knowledgeable group of people and very helpful.

Just be prepared to justify why you consider yourself a "motoring enthusiast" when you call them.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2008, 08:24 PM   #83
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
I'm going to go back to Shannons and see if they can compete a bit better with Ryno now we're keeping the gf's car as a "shopping-cart".

I'll be able to justify limited use on the car then.
Hi Matt.
I'd be interested to hear how you go with the "limited use" insurance. We use my gf's company car for most travel & I alternate taking my car, bike or bus to work and the car or bike to the mountains, track or coast. I've been with Shannons for several years, but their current quote for the 135i isn't competitive with many others. May be cheaper though if I could justify limited use, as I currently do with the bike?
Cheers.
      09-14-2008, 12:48 AM   #84
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I had my WRX noted as limited use (I told them 3 days a week use at the maximum) as I mainly drove it for pleasure on weekends. During the week I walk or catch the bus to the office. Cost was about 1/3 less than unlimited use.

If I was to sell Boris the Barina I'm not allowed to claim limited-use apparently, even though it would be garaged for entire week.

Ryno also has a limited use policy but it's based on something like driving <10,000KM a year I believe.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 03:49 AM   #85
SimonB
Australia
Rep

The "Limited Use" section from Ryno's PDS:

Limited Use Options

We recognise that many owners do not wish to drive/ride their vehicle on a daily basis. Accordingly we offer premium discounts for reduced usage. In the calculation of this discount we may ask various questions to determine your eligibility such as driving/riding patterns and kilometers traveled. If we offer a reduced usage discount and you agree to such by the payment of your premium, you agree to inform us if this substantially changes.

We class Limited Use as one of the following:

• Limited Use and not driven daily or regularly for usage of up to 8,000km per year; or
• Extreme Limited Use and not driven daily or regularly for usage of up to 4,000km per year.

If we are advised of a substantial change in your usage of your vehicle, you may have to pay an additional premium.
      09-14-2008, 08:43 PM   #86
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

My 2 cents worth

I've been with BMW insurance for the past 10 years or so. I believe it's underwritten by Allianz. I've been fortunate enough to not need to claim (now I'm buggered) so can't comment on how they go under those circumstances - which is one of the most important aspects of any insurance policy & company.

What i can tell you is, I usually shop it around, and they always come up with one of the best offeres, in terms of premium, terms, excess, and service has always been good. I see it as more than just the premium - but that's me.

I originally got onto them through the guy I use to do any panel work I need done (I'm in Sydney) - he's a genius! He gave me a list of companies that he regularly deals with, and more importantly, the ones he doesn't deal with. BMW insurance was on the first list.

One of the companies on the second list was AAMI - he told me he had NEVER won work on a car insured by them, so he doesn't even bother wasting his, or the customes time quoting.

If you look at their policy, they DO NOT guarantee to use new parts - they guarantee the work. They have "preferred repairers", who bid for the work ( I think based on digital photos, but not positive of this) - all of which I understand is code for "the lowest bidder" wins the work. And again, they guarantee the work.

I don't know about you guys, but in the unfortunate event that I need to use a car insurance policy, i want new parts, i want to pick the repairer, and i sure as hell don't want the work done at lowest price possible for the job.

That is why AAMI is usually cheaper than most other insurers.

Sorry if this sounds like an add for BMW Insurance. I'm just a happy customer, that happens to be obsessed by his BMW's, and likes to keep them in pristine condition

Happy Days......
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 10:25 PM   #87
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Thanks bfi. Sounds like good advice!
      09-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #88
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

I have my other two cars insured with Allianz and making a claim is totally painless..

My wifes car was side swiped while parked at out business by a truck..
Rang up allianz, they gave us a claim number, told us who where their preferred repairers in the area...That simple..

NO PAPERWORK....
Appreciate 0