BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-27-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 125i coupe

1 day of ownership thoughts

Well I've had my 125i coupe since about 6pm on Friday. The car's fantastic, I'm really happy with the decision.

THE SOUND!! oh wow, it just gets better, such a nice note, even a little hint of a pop when changing up gears.

The car handles beautifully, took a drive up to Dural this morning, then a late night drive from the city to Manly and back.

Any Sydney drivers, you know if you're heading to the north side of the harbor and you travel across the Gore Hill (think that's what it's called) across the top of Circular Quay, then you have a right hander into the tunnel, then that sweet corskrew left hander up onto the bridge.. well, the 125 ate it up.. very nice.

Anyway, stoked.. can't think of anything else. Oh wait, 1 thing this car has made me realise is that it's less about what the car specs look like on paper, and more the way the power is delivered. This car has to be the least likely car to stall on takeoff i've ever driven, and the power's there immediately, then smoothly all the way to the redline (yes i'm running it in hard).

WOOT
      06-27-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep

only thing i would say is the voice commander thing isn't working well at all, it tells me to speak the person's name i'm trying to call, but i've had very little luck getting the thing to recognise the names i say.. anyone else had this trouble?
      06-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Have you got it set to recognize English or Aussie?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Have you got it set to recognize English or Aussie?
LOL

janus, did the voice commander says, "phone book is empty"?

I happens to me and I had to enter the names and numbers manually
      06-27-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Congrats Janus77..You will have to come along to the next Sydney drive day..We havent had a 125i Coupe attend as yet.

I have a lot of trouble as you with the voice recognition..I thought it might have been a vert thing as the microphone on the vert is situated on the steering column unlike the coupe..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Voice recognition of phone book, Sat Nav voice commands is only available on Professional Nav. All other commands work though.
      06-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe TiAg

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
Voice recognition of phone book, Sat Nav voice commands is only available on Professional Nav. All other commands work though.
Really? It works fine on mine. Or is that the Blackberry funciton?

One should love animals. They are so tasty.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by janus77 View Post
only thing i would say is the voice commander thing isn't working well at all, it tells me to speak the person's name i'm trying to call, but i've had very little luck getting the thing to recognise the names i say.. anyone else had this trouble?
It works well for me. I have an iPhone and it load up my address book automatically once it found the device via blue tooth. Remember, it has to be last name, then first name.

Congrats on the new car.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
congrats janus77. Love the sound of my 1er too, especially after she's warmed up.

I miss the cut an trust of city traffic but not the jams. Blasting along at 150kph ++ all the time on country roads can get a bit monotonous sometimes.....

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 06:12 AM   #10
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, i've got a blackberry, the address book uploaded automatically no problems, however when i try to do the voice commands it doesn't work.

They scraped up one of the mags at the dealership, so i have to go get a wheel replaced this week, will ask them about it then i think..

Took a drive down to the gong through the national park today, saw a couple of 1'ers, was so much fun, some of those new tarmac bits of road are SO sticky, never felt grip like that before
      06-28-2009, 06:27 AM   #11
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

The national park on the way to the Gong?

I used to ride those charity bicycle challenge in my early days and I had one that was raining and the bitumen I remember was pretty bad. Going downhills was really dangerous on the bike. Glad that they have fixed it.
      06-28-2009, 06:54 AM   #12
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep

yeah, they've done some good work, there are sections of the road which are now that really nice black smooth grippy bitchumen.. other parts are still quite lumpy. The nice sections have 25-35km/hr corners which are a blast.

The bridgestone runflats are fine i reckon, not noisy, and the ride is quite nice.. though this is my first bmw, my last car was a subaru, so i'm not sure what the comparison would be like with non-runflats on another bmw. Would be interested to know how the grip on the Michelin SP2's would be in comparison.

What do you do if you buy non-funflats as replacements, get one of those kits which spray glue into the tyre and reinflate it so you can get to a tyre shop? I mean if you have a blow out, it's big trouble right?

oh yeah, i put an 8gb usb key in, no probs, doesn't play Apple lossless files though, will have to do some resaving into .mp3 or .aac
      06-28-2009, 06:59 AM   #13
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

We have voice commands on the car? Somebody also told me we can just plugged a USB hard drive in for music?

Congrats on the new car Janus.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 07:00 AM   #14
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post
LOL

janus, did the voice commander says, "phone book is empty"?

I happens to me and I had to enter the names and numbers manually
It did say this, even though it's uploaded the addess book, does this mean i have to set the actual names for the car to recognise which it then associates with address entries uploaded from my phone?

Unfortunately the dealer couldn't find my books! so i need to pick them up next week after they're located (plus get the scraped wheel replaced and a tank of fuel since they only gave it to me half full).. few things i'd like the books for now to figure out.
      06-28-2009, 08:17 AM   #15
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Janus, The phone book that gets used by the voice acivation is different to what's downloaded from your phone. You have to save the names & numbers to the car if you want to use voice activation. It's not like voice activation software on a phone, where you can dial a number from your contacts using voice commands.

If you press the voice button on the wheel, it'll beep. If you say "help", it'll tell you what commands are available. To save a name & number, you press & hold the button until it beeps, you say "Save name" (it think it'll ask you to repeat it). It'll then say something about saying the number, which you do. When you're finished, the system will still say "continue", and you just say "save". It'll say something to confirm - and you're done.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 08:21 AM   #16
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep

ah ok, cool thanks for the info, will set it up when i get a chance
      06-28-2009, 10:22 AM   #17
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfi2906 View Post
Janus, The phone book that gets used by the voice acivation is different to what's downloaded from your phone. You have to save the names & numbers to the car if you want to use voice activation. It's not like voice activation software on a phone, where you can dial a number from your contacts using voice commands.

If you press the voice button on the wheel, it'll beep. If you say "help", it'll tell you what commands are available. To save a name & number, you press & hold the button until it beeps, you say "Save name" (it think it'll ask you to repeat it). It'll then say something about saying the number, which you do. When you're finished, the system will still say "continue", and you just say "save". It'll say something to confirm - and you're done.
It's strange because mine just works without saving it to the car for dialing.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #18
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe TiAg

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post
The national park on the way to the Gong?

I used to ride those charity bicycle challenge in my early days and I had one that was raining and the bitumen I remember was pretty bad. Going downhills was really dangerous on the bike. Glad that they have fixed it.
Last time we did the southern highlands drive I smacked my head a number of times on the sun roof due to the bumps! I've learnt to drive with my head cocked to one side at the track!

One should love animals. They are so tasty.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #19
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep

haha, bummer. You must be quite tall?
      06-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #20
CT135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2009 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
oh yeah, i put an 8gb usb key in, no probs, doesn't play Apple lossless files though, will have to do some resaving into .mp3 or .aac
I'm pretty sure it does play Apple Lossless files from an iPod though
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #21
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Actually last time we did the Southern Highlands drive the national park roads leading down to the gong where a mess... They were mid way through their re-tarring and it was like dirt/gravel for most of the way..
Have to go down there next Sunday and give it a run now that they are fixed up..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #22
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep

do it, there are some cracking sections now.