BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
Jaw_F430
Private
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Evolve vs DMS

How many people are running either the Evolve or DMS remaps?

How many miles have been covered with the remaps carried out (any issues, codes etc), is one tuner preferred to the other (if so why?)?

Looking at getting my car remapped sometime in the future so looking to get a general feel for the preferred tuner.

Also is it possible to have the maps switchable via say the M-button on the steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

I'm running an Evolve map - I had one on my 135i for over 40k miles so it was the natual choice for me. I previously have been a DMS customer - they mapped my 535d back in 2005 and it made a great difference, but for the 1M they lost credibility for me when they stated that there were no gains to be had from an exhaust or FMIC on the 1M - which has been widely disproven - both on my own car and many others.

I've run Evolve's maps on my 1M from just after run-in, with the car otherwise stock, with FMIC and cat-back exhaust and with decatted downpipes - no codes, no issues and great customer service.

I don't think anyone does maps switchable on the M button, but Evolve have their "R" cable, allowing you to switch between stock and mapped at home using your laptop.
      03-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Jaw_F430
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clived View Post
I'm running an Evolve map - I had one on my 135i for over 40k miles so it was the natual choice for me. I previously have been a DMS customer - they mapped my 535d back in 2005 and it made a great difference, but for the 1M they lost credibility for me when they stated that there were no gains to be had from an exhaust or FMIC on the 1M - which has been widely disproven - both on my own car and many others.

I've run Evolve's maps on my 1M from just after run-in, with the car otherwise stock, with FMIC and cat-back exhaust and with decatted downpipes - no codes, no issues and great customer service.

I don't think anyone does maps switchable on the M button, but Evolve have their "R" cable, allowing you to switch between stock and mapped at home using your laptop.
Thanks for the reply.

What was the gain on your car from just the map?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

I've got the DMS remap on my car and I'm very happy with it.

My pre dyno stats were 349bhp and 402 lb/ft torque.

Post map I'm now at 402bhp and 485 lb/ft torque

I've covered 4125 miles now since the remap and have had no problems at all!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Jaw_F430
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
I've got the DMS remap on my car and I'm very happy with it.

My pre dyno stats were 349bhp and 402 lb/ft torque.

Post map I'm now at 402bhp and 485 lb/ft torque

I've covered 4125 miles now since the remap and have had no problems at all!
Can you remove the map yourself or do you have to go back to DMS?

Is the increase in power much different? Do you have to drive with the traction off all the time due to it keep cutting power, or is it usable power (read the EVO review)?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

I imagine th DMS and Evolve maps are similar from a drivability point of view - and it really all comes down to how much sensitivity you can apply with your right foot. You'll have a lot of torque with a remap, so obvoiusly it's fairly easy to break traction. If it's wet or a broken road surface you have to apply common sense. But when it's nice and dry, wouldn't you rather have all that torque

The Evolve-R switchable maps cable is pretty cool, but you do need a laptop (i.e. it isn't a plug-a-box into your ODBII port jobbie). I don't know about DMS. The gains from mine are very comparable, but I'd suggest there is no point comparing gains measured on different days and different dynos with different operators - just too many variables. Comparing side by side performance is the only real way - or I guess Vbox measured increments would also be good
      03-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Although I don't own a 1M, I do have two cars that were both tuned by Evolve.

When looking for a tune, I think that customer support and a tuner's experience are just as important as the power and gains it puts down.

From my experience, everyone at Evolve Automotive has been incredibly helpful and informative. I can ask any question and they answer appropriately. There were times where they have personally called me from the UK to clarify things or make sure things are running well. We have all seen the amount of research and development that Evolve puts in their products, so there is no need to question of their integrity.

The post history of many of the members Evolve Automotive will simply show that they only want to achieve high standard and make sure that their products are high quality.

In regards to the evolve-R PC software. It is so simple to use. I have flashed my E46 M3 countless times when Sal@Evolve was tuning it live across the world. i have flashed my E90 M3 several times as well. Each time, it ran perfectly and incredibly simple.

If I had a 1M, there is no doubt I'd have the Evolve tune, exhaust, and FMIC!

Best of luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 04:55 AM   #8
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaw_F430 View Post
Can you remove the map yourself or do you have to go back to DMS?

Is the increase in power much different? Do you have to drive with the traction off all the time due to it keep cutting power, or is it usable power (read the EVO review)?
I can't remove the map myself and yes, DMS would have to do it, but I know that they will come out to your house with a laptop to do this.

Clive is right when he says that you need to have a careful right foot. I'm actually very smooth with my throttle usage as my previous few cars have been lightweight Elise's and an Exige which all have very soft tyres on them. These cars in the wet would not get much traction if you just mashed the throttle to the floor, so I got used to driving with a smooth throttle application.

The 1M is no different and you do need to be smooth in the wet. In the dry it will still break traction if you're really aggressive, but once in 4th gear, I find that the traction control light doesn't really flash, even if you're aggressive.

Therefore the power is usable if you know how to drive high performance cars
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 02:10 AM   #9
azmurciev12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

just want to give props to evolve for the 1M tune they gave me. sure it was strong on the streets but i wanted to see how reliable the power will be on the track.

came from the track today with 33C ambient temps and the car ran flawlessly. oil temp was in check. power was on tap anytime. ran several hard laps today and the tune was simply excellent.

many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 02:20 AM   #10
CDR_UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmurciev12 View Post
just want to give props to evolve for the 1M tune they gave me. sure it was strong on the streets but i wanted to see how reliable the power will be on the track.

came from the track today with 33C ambient temps and the car ran flawlessly. oil temp was in check. power was on tap anytime. ran several hard laps today and the tune was simply excellent.

many thanks.
Apart from the tune, do you have any other modifications?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 02:47 AM   #11
azmurciev12
Enlisted Member
Rep

AFe closed airbox and rogue SSK.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmurciev12 View Post
AFe closed airbox and rogue SSK.
What about their FMIC and exhaust, are you with them or just the engine tune?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #13
azmurciev12
Enlisted Member
Rep

i got CPe FMIC and catless D/Ps and Maddad resonated midpipes. but all these are still en route to me. i had bought everything before Evolve came out with their own products. will see how it goes once it arrives, should be any day now. i'll probably get another tune from evolve to accommodate all these new mods and hopefully squeeze a little bit more power.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 06:01 AM   #14
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

I have mapped many cars through EVOLVE. All I can say is that the customer service is awesome and the tune is beautiful! Good luck with your choice. Im sure you'll choose the tuner that best meets your needs.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0