BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
BenDiem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M240i xDrive

Base 128i or 128i Sport package - Inquiries

Greetings all,

Long & short: I'm looking to order a '13 128i to replace my '12 Scion Tc next month.

I'm on the fence about ordering the following two options: Sport Package
($1900) & Moonroof ($1050). I'm a no-frills kind of guy/Keep it simple!

[U]Must haves [/U: Harmon Kardon stereo ($875, upgrade/worth it?), Heated Front Seats ($500), & Sport Seats ($400).

I plan to keep this car for many years. It will be my DD/beater.

Pls note that I have an SUV (All Wheel Drive), and two sports cars (toys). I don't need a 135is or 135i, inasmuch that I already have two sports cars.

I just want a small two door coupe that I can drive in the rain, and don't mind using as a DD/beater. It will merely replace the Scion Tc.

I'd love to hear from someone that has owned both and would love to hear if you think the Sport Pkg is really worth it. Of note, I can't stand the Sport Pkg multi spoke rims. I actually prefer the look of the five star standard wheels. This is so confusing. I don't want buyers remorse. Is the Sport Pkg & the Moonroof essential options? Why does everyone post that the Sport Pkg is essential? What does it offer, besides the fatter steering wheel, sport seats, and perhaps stiffer suspension? The standard exterior looks just as good as the M flares...

Comments/Suggestions/Opinions welcome.

Tks/BB
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

In reading your post, my recommendations would be.

-2013 128i
-Manual Transmission A Must
-Teracotta Interior A Must
-Red, Black Or White
-Sport Package An Absolute Must (Solves Seats And Suspension)
-Cold Weather Package Is Great
-HK Not Quite As Necessary Anymore
-Adaptive Xenons Are Great (Comes With Premium Package Along With Moonroof And Some Other Options) -- This is the area you could prob drop to save $, everything else i would say is necessary.

Do this and it will be an outstanding car for years to come

Last edited by golf_234; 11-07-2012 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
BenDiem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
In reading your post, my recommendations would be.

-2013 128i
-Manual Transmission A Must
-Teracotta Interior A Must
-Red, Black Or White
-Sport Package An Absolute Must (Solves Seats And Suspension)
-Cold Weather Package Is Great
-HK Not Quite As Necessary Anymore
-Adaptive Xenons Are Great (Comes With Premium Package Along With Moonroof And Some Other Options) -- This is the area you could prob drop to save $, everything else i would say is necessary.

Do this and it will be an outstanding car for years to come
^^^I appreciate the intell about HK no longer a necessity. This kind of valuable advise is exactly what i was looking for!
Yep, I'm going with white and the lighter interior color. I think you've nudged me to order the Sport Pkg.

What are your sincere thoughts on the Moonroof?

Tks/BB
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Absolutely sports package and I loved a moonroof in every car I owned, went with a convertible this time around for even more open air experience :-)
Also Drive: 22' Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Waiting for 23' BMW Z4 M40i:
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Everyone also boasts the sports package when it comes to the 135 as well. It's a bigger difference in the 128 because you get the m body panels as well along with everything else mentioned. When I ordered my 135 I decided against msport because I didn't like those wheels or steering wheel. Suspension I didn't care about as I won't be doing hard tracking so at that point all that was left was the sport seats which I just added. Then once I saw the msport wheels (35i ones) in person regretted not getting it but oh we'll. I like to not conform and be different anyway so ill enjoy being one of the rare few who don't have msport. I would say deff do manual trans and get moonroof. I love them. But then again I love sunlight all the time and star gazing. Even in the winter with the heat on its great. If u love your music I'd say do Harmon kardon as most say good things about it but heard a few negative reviews. Whatever you choose enjoy it to the fullest and good luck with the order.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Go test drive some. Don't look for other people's opinions. Find what you like and best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
I consider myself a purist: The only option I got was the Sports Package (sport seats, sport suspension, 17" wheels).

No leather seats, no heated seats, no xenons, no moonroof, no metallic paint.

I sorta miss the sunroof/moonroof, since all my previous BMWs had 'em, but I'll get over it.

Last edited by bmw1racer; 11-07-2012 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

get Sport/M Sport that is all

reason: sport seats and the suspension really makes a big difference. Feels to mushy/soft without it
      11-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
Giancarlo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 135

I have a 135 with the sport pkg, for me as it is my only car and wanted a sports car with room for occasional rear passanger and my 9 and 14yr old kids, it was a must.

But if you have two toy cars and you are looking for a DD, I would not get the sports pkg. I know my car is right on the edge of comfort for a DD. For me it is worth it as I don't have another car.

The HK upgrade is easy to test out and see if it is worth it to you as it shouldnt be so hard for a dealer to let you listen to both cars. Easier thant to be able to test drive sports pkg and normal suspension.

Moonroof is definetly a personal choice.

Maybe for a DD the best choice is not the best handling, but a blend of handling and comfort.

At least that is my .02, any choice is going to be a good choice as the car is not a bad car without the sports pkg.

BTW I am jealous that you have TWO toy cars. LOL!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black on black 128i manual

I have a manual 2012 128 black on black with only heated seats/steering wheel, and bluetooth. I get compliments on it weekly and it drives like a dream. I've had MANY cars including more powerful sports cars and this is my favorite, partly because it such a pure drive in manual with light options. I'm not sure after getting and driving it you'll be referring to it as a beater. Getting it with a manual is a must, the auto trans is a pig compared to the buttery solid 6 speed. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #11
golf_234
Captain
Rep

pleasseee get this interior.

if i were ordering it would be zero question
      11-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #12
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

I have the Terracotta interior. It looks great, though way less so without the M-Sport package (black headliner). I have Terra with M-Sport. The interior looks great.

I agree with Sport Package. This package is what makes the 128 so fun to drive, on an everyday basis, which I do.

I have the sunroof (it was standard in 2009), but I don't use it all that much, and will likely not go there if I buy another 1er, as it is now an option on the 128.

HK stereo? I don't have it. I love listening to music, and the lack of this option hasn't bothered me a bit.

Headlights? Depends on what you like/are used to. I have the standard headlights, and I'm OK. Though, I do not drive my 128 during winter.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #13
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

Oh, I did get heated seats, and my backside thanks me everyday. And, my car is a stick. Unless you have a horrible stop-and-go drive everyday, get the stick. It is a blast!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #14
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
guys on the 2013 128 you can order the sport seats as a stand-alone option. If I were you though I would order just the moonroof, hk sound (which i think is totally worth it and i hate that i dont have it on my car), and sport seats. unless you can find a base 128 coupe to test drive and you find the handling not up to snuff. then you are stuck getting the full msport package that includes the wheels (which i agree look like shit) and the sport suspension. i will also mention that the fatter steering wheel is awesome. you could always find a used set of 135 wheels on here and stick them on.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #15
golf_234
Captain
Rep

sport suspension imo is non negotiable and absolutely a must have item. it's not a mercedes. different animal.
      11-08-2012, 01:22 AM   #16
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Not sure about 128i but 135i w/o sport package speed is limited 140 MPH not 160 MPH if I remember well. And it is pain to remove it. If that make sense to you You know your answer.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 07:14 AM   #17
alexb
Naturally Aspirated
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330xi

I think the real question is whether you're trying to spend as little as possible on the car or not. I would honestly say that the only options you really need are the $400 sport seats and $500 heated seats. Combine that with a manual transmission and you have a very pure BMW experience.

In that case, the 128 will come with manual sport seats. Note that the manual seats go lower than the power seats do. My dad finds them more comfortable in his 128i. By skipping M-Sport, you can order the heated steering wheel (nice!), and you avoid the black headliner (good if you choose a non-black interior). Most importantly, you're avoiding tough to clean M-Sport rims (FYI, they look good in person, though).

The M-Sport wheel is great, but you can add it later. The coupe comes with the "regular sport" wheel, which has the same airbag as the M-Sport and M3 wheels. Also, if you skip the M-Sport package, you get the chrome window trim, not the shadow-line (glossy black) trim. I personally, owning a dark-colored car, rather like the chrome trim.

I don't know enough about suspensions to comment: but you should go drive a base 128 and try to toss it around. There's probably a lot which has one in stock, new, automatic, somewhere near you. It'll be harder to find a sport-package car to try, new or used. There are lots of people on this board who have upgraded their sway bars afterwards. Always an option. I do know that the sport suspension is rather bumpy over rough surfaces.

As for the moonroof, I have one, and I like it. I keep that shade open all the time, unless the sun is up at high noon. I like to open it up for the breeze, even in the fall (with heated seats on!). But it's a luxury you can live without. I would say this: the minute you add leather and the moonroof, get the whole premium package (self-dimming mirrors!). If your X3 has these things, you'll notice the lack of them in your 128.

Your marginal cost to get the full package isn't that much once you've added these items. And once you've added that, get the Xenons. This is going to be your daily. They are amazing. They turn around corners. They adjust up and down. Even if you slap $5000 worth of options onto this car, you've already spent $33,000. That's only 15% more. You're going to be in this car every day. So, go cheap, and don't worry about beating it up, or get a nice car and enjoy it everyday. The difference is 15%!

FYI The base radio sounds fine. If you add HK, you have to also add BMW assist ($640). So, is the HK sound $1200 good? Probably not. You don't need BMW Assist because all cars come with hands-free bluetooth calling now.

Edited to add: I actually find the sport seats a bit uncomfortable. That's a completely personal choice for you. Do you have a long commute? I recommend finding one of each car and sitting in them at length...look also at E92's, if you can find a 1er in each flavor - the seats are the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #18
BenDiem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

^^^ Great posts, all.

I really did appreciate your responses.

To prove your posts did not go in vain, here is my preliminary order for December, subject to change at the last minute, lol:

-2013 BMW 128i
-White Exterior
-Beige Interior (love Terracotta, but I have two sports cars & I want to keep the options/cost limited, b/c this will be my inclement weather automobile)
-Auto (Wife can't drive manual, and I want her to enjoy the little Bimmer too - Moreover, my wife lets me enjoy my toys, so this is my way of showing my appreciation for my wife not giving me any backlash/headache for my passion for cars & motorcycles). Happy Wife/Happy Life, lol.
-Heated Seats ("must have" inasmuch that this will be my DD & winter beater - For snow conditions, the SAV is the vehicle of choice)
-Heated Steering Wheel ("must have"- the wife loves the heated seat/heated steering wheel options on her SAV)
-Sport Seats ("must have" if I don't order the Sport Pkg. This stand alone option is inexpensive at $400 dollars)

On the Fence, still:

-Moonroof (the wife would appreciate it. I've only used the moonroof on my Scion, once! I could live w/o it...)
-Sport Pkg (Inasmuch that I already own two sports cars, I don't think I would miss this pkg; however, who am I kidding. It's why I own two toys... The spontaneous side of me says I want it, but the practical side of me says I should save the $1500 dollars, and just get the sport seats at $400 dollars...)
In all honesty, if it were not for those fugly Sport Pkg wheels, I'd be all over the Sport Pkg. I just despise those multi spoke sport wheels.
I'm not really into adding aftermarket wheels if I like the standard wheels, and the standard wheels are pretty sharp, not to mention easy to clean, lol...

That's how I view it. I think the HK stereo is out. I gotta tell ya, I have the top end stereo in my wife's SAV, and I'm not that impressed with it...

Your comments/opinions were valuable b/c my dealer rarely carries a nice mix of 1 series vehicles to cross shop...

Tks all/Cheers

BB
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #19
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

the hk system in the 1 is better than the "premium audio" package in some of the other models.

get the sport package and moonroof. sure you can save that money, but it's not *that* much to spend to make both of you just a bit happier with the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #20
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
My wife's '11 128i Convertible has M-sport, 6MT, heated seats and "moonlight black" top; I added 18" Alufelgen wheels and non-runflat tires plus a BMW Performance Exhaust. We didn't go for the upgraded sound system or the Xenon lights (nearly $2000 savings there). It's her daily driver, it's sporty, comfortable, and handles like a go-kart. You may be looking for something less sporty, so M-Sport probably isn't what you'd want - but I'd definitely get the Sport package. Having driven a non-Sport 128i during our buying process, I can tell you that it's a major difference in driving dynamics and overall feel. Premium package on a 1-series really didn't seem worth it - you can buy the heated seat option separately, and the rest seems a little superfluous on a car this size and also for your stated purpose.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #21
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black on black 128i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDiem View Post
^^^ Great posts, all.

I really did appreciate your responses.

To prove your posts did not go in vain, here is my preliminary order for December, subject to change at the last minute, lol:

-2013 BMW 128i
-White Exterior
-Beige Interior (love Terracotta, but I have two sports cars & I want to keep the options/cost limited, b/c this will be my inclement weather automobile)
-Auto (Wife can't drive manual, and I want her to enjoy the little Bimmer too - Moreover, my wife lets me enjoy my toys, so this is my way of showing my appreciation for my wife not giving me any backlash/headache for my passion for cars & motorcycles). Happy Wife/Happy Life, lol.
-Heated Seats ("must have" inasmuch that this will be my DD & winter beater - For snow conditions, the SAV is the vehicle of choice)
-Heated Steering Wheel ("must have"- the wife loves the heated seat/heated steering wheel options on her SAV)
-Sport Seats ("must have" if I don't order the Sport Pkg. This stand alone option is inexpensive at $400 dollars)

On the Fence, still:

-Moonroof (the wife would appreciate it. I've only used the moonroof on my Scion, once! I could live w/o it...)
-Sport Pkg (Inasmuch that I already own two sports cars, I don't think I would miss this pkg; however, who am I kidding. It's why I own two toys... The spontaneous side of me says I want it, but the practical side of me says I should save the $1500 dollars, and just get the sport seats at $400 dollars...)
In all honesty, if it were not for those fugly Sport Pkg wheels, I'd be all over the Sport Pkg. I just despise those multi spoke sport wheels.
I'm not really into adding aftermarket wheels if I like the standard wheels, and the standard wheels are pretty sharp, not to mention easy to clean, lol...

That's how I view it. I think the HK stereo is out. I gotta tell ya, I have the top end stereo in my wife's SAV, and I'm not that impressed with it...

Your comments/opinions were valuable b/c my dealer rarely carries a nice mix of 1 series vehicles to cross shop...

Tks all/Cheers

BB
I understand the wife situation, but just be aware you are getting essentially a 100% totally different driving experience and car choosing auto over manual in the 128i. In manual form its been said to be the most pure and engaging BMW driving experience in the entire lineup. If you don't believe me take a test drive of both. good luck on whatever you decide!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #22
Anvil
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White 128i Coupe

The sport suspension adds to the crispness of following the turns in the road. You really should experience both suspensions if you are in doubt. That being said, if this is going to be a daily beater being driven mostly on potholed roads, then the potholes will be even more annoying with the sport suspension. The sportseats do a fine job of holding you in place comfortably. If other will be driving often then power seats are really convenient.
Appreciate 0