BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Jack stands anyone?

Hi peeps,

So I received my jack pad adapters from Terry at Burger, but I realised that the jack stands they have in OZ aren't flat topped. All of the ones I've shopped for have a slight V-shape to them, and I'm a bit hesitant to put my flat based adapter on top of one of these V-shaped stands due to possible lack of stability. Anyone have any experience in this? I read on a thread somewhere that the car should be supported well enough on the jack stands that you can slam the car door without the car falling over (and if it did you've probably wrecked the under carriage )

A search on the net brought up ESCO flat topped jack stands but at $65 each, it's gonna hurt... not to mention shipping too... but if I have to, I have to. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

I use torin jack stand with a BMW adapter built in.

http://www.reverselogic.us/ReverseLo...ck_Stands.html
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX
I use torin jack stand with a BMW adapter built in.

http://www.reverselogic.us/ReverseLo...ck_Stands.html
That's definitely an option. But it looks like they don't ship outside of US. And is that price per stand or pair?

I guess there is shipito
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Moocow
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkatron View Post
That's definitely an option. But it looks like they don't ship outside of US. And is that price per stand or pair?

I guess there is shipito
It does say "sold in pairs"

Shipito or priceusa.com.au would do the trick. Best to try and arrange others to buy stuff too and share the shipping costs! I might be interested in some other stuff from US.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkatron View Post

I guess there is shipito
They do ship outside us, I Didn't need to use shipito and yes it is sold in pair.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

I've got the same curved jack stands you're talking about and you just have the BMW jackpad going through the curve of the V? works perfect for me, have not found any reason to use jackpad adaptors on the jackstands...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moocow View Post
It does say "sold in pairs"

Shipito or priceusa.com.au would do the trick. Best to try and arrange others to buy stuff too and share the shipping costs! I might be interested in some other stuff from US.
And here I was thinking I read everything so carefully... sorry, just went back and final dot point pointed out the obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
I've got the same curved jack stands you're talking about and you just have the BMW jackpad going through the curve of the V? works perfect for me, have not found any reason to use jackpad adaptors on the jackstands...
Hmm ok, maybe that's stable enough then... I just seem to have this idea it might not be. Ok, will give it a go. Cheers Stuart.
Appreciate 0