BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Anyone Here Track with Swift Spec-R?

I recently rode in my buddy's e92 M3 after a track day and noticed the car was a bit harsher than I expected. Turns out he installed Swift springs with OE shocks. I was surprised to hear that there was an option for aftermarket springs designed to be used with OE shocks. I've seen him hustle at the track but then again he's always been a fast driver even before he got the springs.

Would like to know if anyone else here has used them on track? Also how is it for daily use? I would imagine M3 oe shocks are even firmer than M-sport shocks which is why they seemed to go so well together.
      11-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

There are many manufactures that have springs that are compatible with OEM type shocks throughout the BMW line-up.

Swift springs are an awesome spring, however I've never had experience with riding on them personally.

I'm always a firm believer that matching aftermarket springs (whether they are made for oem dia. or not) they are never perfectly matched.

IMO, you need damper adjustments in-order to really tune in your car, or else you're just taking a shot in the dark and the end result may not be anything you expect (IE - Harsh ride is because of the shocks not being able to damper the higher spring rates effectively)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
There are many manufactures that have springs that are compatible with OEM type shocks throughout the BMW line-up.

Swift springs are an awesome spring, however I've never had experience with riding on them personally.

I'm always a firm believer that matching aftermarket springs (whether they are made for oem dia. or not) they are never perfectly matched.

IMO, you need damper adjustments in-order to really tune in your car, or else you're just taking a shot in the dark and the end result may not be anything you expect (IE - Harsh ride is because of the shocks not being able to damper the higher spring rates effectively)
Thanks, everything you've said is stuff I already know but call it wishful thinking. I plan to track the Z for the most part but I'm opening up to the idea of taking the 1-er to tracks that are more than 4 hours away. In that case, I'd want to keep the car stock with minimal mods (ie fixed camber plates, brake pads, tires, and maybe springs).
      11-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
If you add stiffer springs you may want to consider matching a thicker sway. IMO it's difficult to add just one thing when it comes to suspension. I did just swift springs on my old S2K, it sat better but didn't handle that much better. If anything induced more understeer...I gutted my 1er OEM suspension, and bought the car knowing it would be overhauled. Running ASTs w swift springs. Rides fine on the street, drives like another car at the track.

Check out FRSport for swift springs or Harold HPA
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii View Post
Thanks, everything you've said is stuff I already know but call it wishful thinking. I plan to track the Z for the most part but I'm opening up to the idea of taking the 1-er to tracks that are more than 4 hours away. In that case, I'd want to keep the car stock with minimal mods (ie fixed camber plates, brake pads, tires, and maybe springs).
I figured, with you doing TTD soon (if not already) and me knowing you have plenty of track time behind you...just information that should be out there for anyone else reading this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&done View Post
If you add stiffer springs you may want to consider matching a thicker sway. IMO it's difficult to add just one thing when it comes to suspension. I did just swift springs on my old S2K, it sat better but didn't handle that much better. If anything induced more understeer...I gutted my 1er OEM suspension, and bought the car knowing it would be overhauled. Running ASTs w swift springs. Rides fine on the street, drives like another car at the track.

Check out FRSport for swift springs or Harold HPA
I don't understand the logic that a bigger lb/in spring needs to be matched with a swaybar.

S2Ks are probably the most f'ed up suspension to tune (For example most S2K drivers I know add like 12k springs in the front and 8-10 in the rear. It is completely different thinking when your rear wheel changes toe under load).

Logic from TCK himself states that you need weight transfer in order to achieve maximum grip. I know your statement is pretty much a blanket statement, but adding a thicker sway when going with a higher spring rate might negatively effect the car.

Of course a lot more information needs to be known to accurately respond to such a statement.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
I figured, with you doing TTD soon (if not already) and me knowing you have plenty of track time behind you...just information that should be out there for anyone else reading this thread

I don't understand the logic that a bigger lb/in spring needs to be matched with a swaybar.

S2Ks are probably the most f'ed up suspension to tune (For example most S2K drivers I know add like 12k springs in the front and 8-10 in the rear. It is completely different thinking when your rear wheel changes toe under load).

Logic from TCK himself states that you need weight transfer in order to achieve maximum grip. I know your statement is pretty much a blanket statement, but adding a thicker sway when going with a higher spring rate might negatively effect the car.

Of course a lot more information needs to be known to accurately respond to such a statement.
The decision to go to TTD depends on whether or not I put in a cage, else I'll stick to King of DE lol.
      11-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

I have them

I can't comment how they perform on the track as I didn't get to try out my set up this summer. I plan on taking it out for some track time next spring. As for driving on the street they are pretty sweet. They are firm,but not by a crazy amount I think the rears our 500lbs and fronts are 200lbs. So the springs them selves aren't much stiffer then BMWs yellow springs. That being said I think they'd be to much for the stock shocks for daily driving. I paired them with koni yellows and I love the ride.
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Here's another members review of them at the tracks with a video.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873692
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0