BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

DRL replacement

I hate to admit that I reviewed every thread related to DRL bulb replacement and submitted numerous searches. What I have found that some have given up and out-sourced the job and the shop performing the work accomplished the task in minutes or users have actually accomplished the task themselves.

My right front DRL is burned out and I read my owners manual -- an easy task and certainly not complicated.

1. Release metal tabs on back of headlight assembly. (Not that simple, but not that hard)
2. Fold down cover.
3. twist the holder and remove
4. change the bulb
5. Put it back together.

Step 2 has me stymied, 'Fold down cover.' Right, how is that even possible, where are all the ancillary tasks to remove all the crap that is in the way of folding down the cover. I disconnected and removed some canister things that were in the way -- but the hard lines (A/C I think were not to be trifled with.) Put all that stuff back together and ignore. Kindly people will not ignore the obvious burned out light and help me out by letting me know that a 'headlight' is out. I think if I disconnected the other side or found a fuse it would solve the problem. It seems it would be easier to disconnect the entire light assembly and slide it forward to provide room for the cover to fold down; but, I have not investigated that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
You have to lift the covers up then out because there are two little feet that stick into two slots on the bottom of the housing. This is what ensures a correct fit. There is a video somewhere showing someone installing some LUX lights. Youtube it and you'll find it. Try not to lose those metal clips. they have a tendency to detach from the little holes that are holding them in.
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep

PJ -- thanks for the note -- I recognized the feet were there; but could not rotate the cover far enough to lift up. It would swing freely through a very narrow arc; but not move vertically. Perhaps I did not try hard enough?

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
I just had to wiggle it up slowly on both sides until it finally came loose. The first time will be the toughest time because you have not removed it before. It could just be stuck. Try hard but if you're feeling that you're trying too hard, then stop. I'll try finding the lux video
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep

PJ, thank you for the assitance. I had to remove a canister thing and brute force some lines out of the way and it was still a tight fit. I don't think I have encountered such a difficult bulb replacement. (Except for the tail lights which luckily were replaced as a recall. Tail lights were easy to get to; but, surprise, no bulb.)

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Replacing those H8 bulbs is not an easy task. My hands showed some battle scars afterwards and my patience was seriously tested.
Appreciate 0