BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-15-2008, 11:27 PM   #1
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Mods voiding warranty in Canada

I noticed there was a post by Anthony from Riss racing about BMW US policies about modifications to their cars. Anyone got any insight or facts on BMW cars being modded in Canada because honestly even though its ez to take some off my car when I go in for servicing it still creates a big hassle as I am planning to get DPs for my car and whatever else.... I asked my SA before and his answers are always very vague and makes me believe his answers are borderline.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 08:33 AM   #2
Fishsriz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

please post a link to Anthony's post
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Wishful thinking... There is no chance of our warranty being any different. It will get voided for that part without question (and possibly others if they feel like arguing it).
      10-16-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Heres the link to his thread...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12578

Was looking for more info because either end of this year or next year I am going to go with more aggressive mods..

RR intake stage 2
RR Catted DPs
and JB3..

and maybe a quad exhaust.. so if I can leave them on during servicing id be happy cuz the DPs and exhaust would be a hassle to remove and put back on and not to say $$$ tooo..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
never
driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: not a 135 anymore

To void the warranty, BMW has to prove that the aftermarket part caused the issue. The consumer doesn't have to prove that it did not cause the problem.

I wouldn't be too worried about the DPs or the intake. The JB3 is a different story.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by never View Post
To void the warranty, BMW has to prove that the aftermarket part caused the issue. The consumer doesn't have to prove that it did not cause the problem.
To an extent ... I beleive if they "suspect" the mod to be the cause they can refuse to service the warranty, but if you then remove the mod, and reinstate the system to factory, and the fault still occurs, then they are obliged to service under warranty.

And then if they can demonstrate that in removing the factory part, you damaged anything, all bets are off again.

Now, I have to admit my experience is based on warranty issues with IT, but there is some amount of protection for vendors in that regards, but there are also other "user servicable" components that they can not prevent you touching.
      10-16-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Well my current tune and future tune are pretty ez to remove so thats fine.. but if i can leave the intake/dps/exhaust in then id be fine.. when I owned a tsx it was fully modded and the dealership i brought it too was sooo cool about it but i think its because they had exclusives to comptech (aftermarket vendor) parts.. they always go woo and wahhs haha... hopefully I wont have this issue with BMW thou I have had friends complain out of the roof about their services and issues..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #8
Redbeemer
Ne Plus Ultra
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue 2022 M240iXdrive

It may be different in Canada. Their is a federal law in the US (the Magnuson Act, I believe) which protects consumers when the manufacturer tried to void their warranty due to a modification the consumer has made. The burden of proof is on the manufacturer to prove that the mod caused the problem and if they can't prove that, then they have to respect the warranty. Since this is a federal U.S. law, the situation may be entirely different in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post
It may be different in Canada. Their is a federal law in the US (the Magnuson Act, I believe) which protects consumers when the manufacturer tried to void their warranty due to a modification the consumer has made. The burden of proof is on the manufacturer to prove that the mod caused the problem and if they can't prove that, then they have to respect the warranty. Since this is a federal U.S. law, the situation may be entirely different in Canada.
The point to this thread is to find that out :biggrin: wish there were definite answers..
Appreciate 0