BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-11-2015, 03:55 PM   #1
andyleem
Registered
Rep
Drives: 123d

O/S Brakes 'stuck' - Getting hot and slowing car

Hi,

Noticed a pretty serious problem over the past few days. The left side front and rear brakes seem to be getting stuck onto the callipers as while driving the car is very underpowered and judders (like the feeling of a flat tyre) when letting off the gas a little bit. When stopping the car the brakes smell extremely bad and are hot enough to instantly burn almost anything.

I've had a garage put the car up on a ramp and the wheels turn fine when stationary. They don't know what the problem could be.

The car is a 2008 123d coupe. Had new discs and pads fitted around 3 months ago.

Anyone had a similar issue or know what the problem could be?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 07:02 PM   #2
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I had something similar happen but not on a BMW. It was on an old 94 Cavalier Z24. The right front brake would grab after applying the brakes and wouldn't release. The piston in the right caliper would back off after a while and the front wheel would rotate fine again until I started using the brakes.

The problem turned out to be a bad rubber brake line from the hard metal line to the brake caliper. There was a soft/weak spot which ballooned out under pressure and then when the brake pedal was released, would collapse causing a restriction in the line. Replacing the line fixed the problem for me. I don't know what brake lines are used in BMWs from the factory.
Appreciate 0