BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
cmcgonag
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Cayenne Turbo - 2011 1M

I need your help -- iDrive BMW App Dataquistion Integration

I am an engineer and I believe in the KISS method (Keep it Simple Stupid). I didnt want a P3/Awron gauge (why should I, I already have a computer in my car). I want more features and processing etc, displayed on my screen while driving.

Fortunately BMW makes an SDK for the BMW Apps ...so in my mind..if I could get a copy of it... I write some code, port the CANBUS data over, process on the Iphone and display on the screen. Simple. Plus I could pull GPS data, data acquisition; you get the picture.

Anyways, I cant get BMW to give me the SDK. I have tried using my big company name etc to get it but thought I would post here for maybe a better contact. I have been talking with two guys at BMW that work on the apps about it but they wont let me get the SDK...

I am willing to share my emails and correspondences with them to get this thing moving. Some one on here has to have some good contacts. Or if you have a copy of the SDK that would be even better.

Thanks,

Colin
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

uhhh errrr... what is: SDK ?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
uhhh errrr... what is: SDK ?
Software Developer Kit

Basically a set of tools and/or an instruction manual on how to create software that is compatible with a given operating system or piece of hardware.
      02-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
cmcgonag
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Cayenne Turbo - 2011 1M

Ian,

Where did you get to with it? Did you talk to them at all or just do some research etc?

Colin
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcgonag View Post
I am an engineer and I believe in the KISS method (Keep it Simple Stupid). I didnt want a P3/Awron gauge (why should I, I already have a computer in my car). I want more features and processing etc, displayed on my screen while driving.

Fortunately BMW makes an SDK for the BMW Apps ...so in my mind..if I could get a copy of it... I write some code, port the CANBUS data over, process on the Iphone and display on the screen. Simple. Plus I could pull GPS data, data acquisition; you get the picture.

Anyways, I cant get BMW to give me the SDK. I have tried using my big company name etc to get it but thought I would post here for maybe a better contact. I have been talking with two guys at BMW that work on the apps about it but they wont let me get the SDK...

I am willing to share my emails and correspondences with them to get this thing moving. Some one on here has to have some good contacts. Or if you have a copy of the SDK that would be even better.

Thanks,

Colin
very interesting, have not done any research yet. In my experience, when it comes to CANBUS messaging, beyond the common stuff, most OEMs tend to keep their lips together.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I can't help with getting you the SDK, but please update us if you are successful in making an app!
      02-19-2014, 09:35 AM   #7
Aetey
Enlisted Member
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

A colleague of mine was in contact with Munich regarding this. As far as I can remember he had to prove that his app project would be viable before they would hand over the SDK. I don't know the details but I'm pretty sure that BMW did NOT refuse him access from the get-go, they just wanted to be sure that his project would be useful for the average driver (which it wasn't so it didn't go any further than that )

What I do remember though is that he said that you don't simply get a couple of libraries in a zip file if you enroll in their developer program, they provide you with a fully autonomous iDrive system to test your developments on. Which might be why they keep this under the radar.

Edit:

Google says

"“Via BMW Apps and MINI Connected, new in-car apps are being rolled out all the time. The BMW AppCenter supplies interested app providers with a Software Development Kit (SDK) that allows them to access the iDrive system and display using A4A (Apps for Automotive) technology.

Deezer, Napster by Rhapsody, TuneIn Radio, Audible and Glympse have A4A built in, which allows these systems to be integrated seamlessly into the driver-oriented BMW and MINI control and operation system,” says Uwe Higgen, Head of the App Center in Munich."

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...tem=node__5236

You might want to contact this guy Uwe Higgen.
Appreciate 0