BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
bavarianstig
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Calling all TUNED N54 135i MT who track their cars...

I tracked the 135i for the first time last year with BMW CCA at VIR and let me say, I became immediately addicted. I've come a long way as a driver since then, and added some helpful track upgrades like Nitto NT-01 Rcomps, full race exhaust, vorshlag camber plates, Schroth harnesses, and Stoptech brakes with carbotech pads (the brakes are SO much better).

I have, however, stayed away from tunes because of people with STOCK cars getting the dreaded "limp mode". From what I understand, these plague the 335i more than the 135i, and the autos more than the manuals (due to the cooling design of the trans). I'm in the advanced groups and drive the 135 pretty hard every time I go out, often at 9 or 10/10 (full course VIR lap times around 2:17), yet have NEVER come close to limp mode. Highest oil temp I've seen using Mobil 1 0W-40 or Castrol 5W-30 is 260 or maybe 270.

I am looking to get a Cobb Accessport, but am hesitant bc of the fear the car won't be able to handle it without the additional installation of a second/larger oil cooler, upgraded FMIC etc.

Those who have tunes (mainly JB4 or Cobb), what has your experience been on the track? Limp modes? I also welcome any opinions on which of the tunes is best suited for those using them in road course environments (do some tend to do better job of cooling due to water pump remapping etc?) If you did have cooling issues, what helped to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
that's a very good time. nice job! any video by any chance?
      04-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have Cobb and run either stg2+sport or stg2+agg; Was out a Sebring a couple of weeks ago on a pretty hot two day weekend 80-88 degrees morning to afternoon. Sebring's a pretty brutal track, 3.7 miles long and hard on everything in the car. The highest temp I saw was 280 on the second day, after a longer than normal session. However I do have upgraded FMIC with stock oil cooler, 50/50 coolant/water mix with one bottle of Redline water wetter.

On tracks > 3 miles, the highest temp I see are 270 even on hot days. I have yet to limp on the track, and I run pretty aggressive out there.

How do you like your carbotech pads? I just ordered a pair of 16/12 for fronts/rears? Do you mind sharing which Schroth harnesses you're using? On stock seats?

Thanks
      04-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
bavarianstig
Private
Rep

Love the Carbotech pads. I currently run XP12 in the front and XP10 in the rear, on advice from Ken @KNS Brakes in NC (great brake expert, specializes in Subarus).

Fronts just finished up after about 9 hard track days, and have worked excellent. Once the rears go I'll probably do XP12 front and back. The XP16 are a bit more rotor aggressive, and I haven't had any problems with the XP12s so I figure I'll save my Stoptech aerorotors since the fronts go for $500 a set haha
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 05:26 AM   #5
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Sorry to hijack, but I want to know about your tires and harness. In return, I'll tell you about my CP-E intercooler/oil cooler and Dinan tune.

With stock coolant, I've never seen oil temps higher than 255 or water temps higher than 215 even on track days with ambient temps over 100f. This year, I'm using 70/30 water plus Water Wetter just in case.

I still do get an occasional 1 minute limp mode from the stupid "brakes overheating" thing. It happens about one out of every four track days. When it does happen, I just have to pull into the paddock, shut down and restart for it to go away.

My tune is Dinan stage 2, which supposedly has the water pump remapping, but it's also a moderate tune, like running other tunes on their map 1. I usually mix in about one-fourth or one-third race gas especially on hot days because Dinan makes a big deal about recommending it.

So what size NT01? Is it 275/35 on ARC-8s in back? That's what I'm considering. But I've seen posts about them rubbing against the chassis at the front of the wheel well.

Also, which Schroth harness and how is it installed? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
I am running a COBB as well, I have never run it on the track past stage 1. I have also never had an issue with over heating...I do pull the cowl off though. I would recommend the COBB AP and a good FMIC.

Funny I am heading to Sebring tomorrow ^

I run carbotechs w/ titanium shims to protect the weak brembo non SS pistons. Haven't decided if I am going to upgrade the OEM brakes or swap to BBK.
GL
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #7
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Cobb here.

Had the car go into limp mode at the last track event after only 1 1/2 sessions. BUT, the car was not over-heating at all. Apparently I got a "DSC is preventing the brakes from potentially overheating" error or something along those lines.

Couldn't fix this at the track, had to abort the weekend and see the dealer next day...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by int2str
Cobb here.

Had the car go into limp mode at the last track event after only 1 1/2 sessions. BUT, the car was not over-heating at all. Apparently I got a "DSC is preventing the brakes from potentially overheating" error or something along those lines.

Couldn't fix this at the track, had to abort the weekend and see the dealer next day...
What pads where you running? Any cooling mods?
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ran Sebring today with Stage 2+ Weather was in the upper 70's/ low 80's no problems at all...which is why I run this tune.
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #10
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&done View Post
What pads where you running? Any cooling mods?
Ferodo 2500, no cooling yet (just got my F30 backing plates - not installed yet).
It's not a brake issue though. The car has no sensors to measure brake temperature. It's just the DSC not liking the additional work...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by int2str View Post
Ferodo 2500, no cooling yet (just got my F30 backing plates - not installed yet).
It's not a brake issue though. The car has no sensors to measure brake temperature. It's just the DSC not liking the additional work...
Where did you get F30 backing plates from?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
Where did you get F30 backing plates from?
My local BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #13
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

I run a JB4, had the car go into limp mode after a couple of laps in my first session last weekend (over 100 degrees in Las Vegas). Next couple of sessions I turned on the maxcool feature on the JB4 and put the heat on full blast (was at least 120 degrees in the cabin and I have a closed face helmet lol). Didn't go into limp mode again until my 4th and 5th sessions. Both of which came after about 30 min. on track (everyone left), definitely annoying to say the least, however my oil temps looked to be at about 270. Do you think this could have been the brake safety thing? I've never heard of it.
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
Wings0fRed
Newb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am running a COBB as well, I have never run it on the track past stage 1. I have also never had an issue with over heating...I do pull the cowl off though. I would recommend the COBB AP and a good FMIC.

Funny I am heading to Sebring tomorrow ^

I run carbotechs w/ titanium shims to protect the weak brembo non SS pistons. Haven't decided if I am going to upgrade the OEM brakes or swap to BBK.
GL
I ran Sebring on Saturday the 21st as well! I had the Silver 135i (Green, novice group) - what group were you running in?

I currently am using the OEM tune (BMW Perf. Power Kit) and Cool Carbon pads w/ stock rotors and didn't have any issues with overheating anything.
      04-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings0fRed View Post
I ran Sebring on Saturday the 21st as well! I had the Silver 135i (Green, novice group) - what group were you running in?

I currently am using the OEM tune (BMW Perf. Power Kit) and Cool Carbon pads w/ stock rotors and didn't have any issues with overheating anything.
I came in early Sunday morning and ran just for the day. It ended up being a beautiful day. I run green as well. Let me know when you are heading back.

I am running carbotech pads w/ titanium backing pates (0.5mm) I have some slight discoloration in the rotors but as expected for the amount of heat they were taking.

For those having issues w/ over heating due to a tune, have you opened up the exhaust fully? And or upgraded to a bigger FMIC? So far the COBB has been good to me.
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #16
Wings0fRed
Newb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I came in early Sunday morning and ran just for the day. It ended up being a beautiful day. I run green as well. Let me know when you are heading back.
Will do. Carbotech pads are a dedicated track pad or an aggressive street pad?
      04-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #17
bavarianstig
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by int2str
Cobb here.

Do you track with dynamic traction control on (DTC)? I always turn everything off bc the system is too intrusive and won't allow proper rotation during trail braking and hard cornering.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #18
bavarianstig
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings0fRed
Quote:
The Carbotech XP12/16 are dedicated race pads similar to PFC 01 or 06. They are NOT to be used on the street.
Also, what are you referring to when you mentioned removing "the cowl"? The black tray under the hood adjacent to the windshield? And how does removing it help?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianstig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings0fRed
Quote:
The Carbotech XP12/16 are dedicated race pads similar to PFC 01 or 06. They are NOT to be used on the street.
Also, what are you referring to when you mentioned removing "the cowl"? The black tray under the hood adjacent to the windshield? And how does removing it help?
^yes dedicated track pads, I'm using the 10s and 8s

I removed the air filter/ cowl when I installed my m3 strut bar awhile back and just left if off. Works like a vented hood...it's easy to take off an on. It's really hot in FL so anything to get rid of heat. Draw back is that water can easy get in so I only remove it now when I'm at the track.

"It's science" =)
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #20
bavarianstig
Private
Rep

I guess my concern is whether or not to upgrade my FMIC before I go out to the track next time (May 18-20 at VIR with PCA). I would be considering the cp-e intercooler with the additional oil cooler attachment

I want to know if I can avoid overheating while running a Cobb Stage 1 upgrade at the track with only other mods being a secondary cat delete and muffler delete (berk race exhaust, stock downpipes).

Optimally, I'd like to see how it does without the FMIC before spending $1000+ on a FMIC and install. At the same time, I don't want to have to use my stock tune all weekend after finding that after a few laps I would hit my first ever limp mode...have to show all the Porsches that 135is mean business!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #21
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianstig View Post
I guess my concern is whether or not to upgrade my FMIC before I go out to the track next time (May 18-20 at VIR with PCA). I would be considering the cp-e intercooler with the additional oil cooler attachment

I want to know if I can avoid overheating while running a Cobb Stage 1 upgrade at the track with only other mods being a secondary cat delete and muffler delete (berk race exhaust, stock downpipes).

Optimally, I'd like to see how it does without the FMIC before spending $1000+ on a FMIC and install. At the same time, I don't want to have to use my stock tune all weekend after finding that after a few laps I would hit my first ever limp mode...have to show all the Porsches that 135is mean business!
I think you will be ok. I ran a stock FMIC at my first track event and was fine on stage 1 however I did have a full Berk exhaust. You can always flash it back to stock if you see the temp. raising. Check w/ Harold at HP, he recommend upgrading the radiator before the oil cooler. BMW makes smaller secondary unit along w/ a larger fan. You need wire in a bigger relay. I looked into that because I read about people over heating...I have had no issues so I am not too worried. Make sure you have had a recent oil change or check the level..I think you will be ok, like I said jk Id worry more about learning the lines vs the heat...if you're new there.

As far as FMIC, go w/ a big one that fits, and one you can get a deal on. I have a Spearco and there was some cutting involved, not so if you have a 335. Wasn't crazy but many 135 owners would shy away form it. Still, it's a great FMIC.

Report back, jealous you get to run at VIR, that's a sweet track! Enjoy!
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 11:05 AM   #22
omar14711
Rep
Drives: 2008 white 135i

I us a custom tune provided by PAW in Miami. Car never limps, and with the Steet oil cooler upgrade I never see oil temps over 300 on track days. Car tuned to 403 on 93 oct. and420hp with 97 AT THE WHEEL.
Appreciate 0