BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-12-2016, 04:28 AM   #1
miiiiiiiitch
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

135i Exhaust

I'm looking to change my stock exhaust and had a couple of options. One was doing a custom muffler delete but not sure how loud this would be and if the drone would be bad (also the cost of doing this) or buying a Berk Race exhaust (or similar aftermarket exhaust) but I can't find anywhere to ship it to Australia that won't bump the price up heaps. Car is completely stock. Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 06:20 AM   #2
Tricki
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by miiiiiiiitch
I'm looking to change my stock exhaust and had a couple of options. One was doing a custom muffler delete but not sure how loud this would be and if the drone would be bad (also the cost of doing this) or buying a Berk Race exhaust (or similar aftermarket exhaust) but I can't find anywhere to ship it to Australia that won't bump the price up heaps. Car is completely stock. Thanks in advance
Same issue here!!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 06:34 AM   #3
OzJustin
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i AT Monaco Blue

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
I'm running the Berk Street with AR downpipes and can highly recommend it. Very minimal drone and generally quiet unless you plant the foot in which case it has a fantastic angry note. Highly recommended if you can source in Australia!
      01-12-2016, 03:43 PM   #4
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

I bought a spare stock 135i exhaust and will cut it open and weld up the perforations in the internal pipes. This will make it louder without making it overbearing. From what I've read theres minimal drone but will report back when I have done it.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=963343

Unfortunately most of the people in that thread did it to E82 N55. So not many sound clips for E82 N54.
      01-12-2016, 05:26 PM   #5
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJustin View Post
I'm running the Berk Street with AR downpipes and can highly recommend it. Very minimal drone and generally quiet unless you plant the foot in which case it has a fantastic angry note. Highly recommended if you can source in Australia!
I've always wanted a berk and it seemed like no one in Australia had one until now! Am surprised that you say it's generally quiet even with DPs - have you got any sound clips?

I have a Meisterschaft GT which seems very quiet to my ears. The burbles are somewhat faint from the drivers seat which was very disappointing (Sourced from Active in Melbourne)

Simonnn had the AFE and damn if you like loud that would be the go to exhaust. Also had the loudest burbles and crackles i've heard lol (Sourced from eBay)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 06:26 PM   #6
Simonnn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7smurfs View Post
I've always wanted a berk and it seemed like no one in Australia had one until now! Am surprised that you say it's generally quiet even with DPs - have you got any sound clips?

I have a Meisterschaft GT which seems very quiet to my ears. The burbles are somewhat faint from the drivers seat which was very disappointing (Sourced from Active in Melbourne)

Simonnn had the AFE and damn if you like loud that would be the go to exhaust. Also had the loudest burbles and crackles i've heard lol (Sourced from eBay)
Miss that exhaust

Was a bit loud (obviously subjective) and also droned at 100km/hr in sixth gear from memory though! I'm also in the market for an axleback of some sort too.. someone set up a group buy!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 09:21 PM   #7
Kkuba
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
I bought a spare stock 135i exhaust and will cut it open and weld up the perforations in the internal pipes. This will make it louder without making it overbearing. From what I've read theres minimal drone but will report back when I have done it.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=963343

Unfortunately most of the people in that thread did it to E82 N55. So not many sound clips for E82 N54.

I have done this mod.

Check out my write up thread if you want more info. But basically, on a standard car (except for JB4) it made only a very small difference to volume, even when blocking all holes.

Edit: I may have slightly overstated the volume increase in my write up, or I just got used to it very quickly - not sure. I have to say that I recently have been driving round with a wastegate failure, which means they are always open, and the car is (slighly) louder at idle and town speeds as a result (doesn't make boost so have been granny-ing it around), and it has made me want a slightly louder exhaust. It will be fixed by this weekend, and I will be a bit sad to go back to my modified standard exhaust, but we shall see how it goes.

Last edited by Kkuba; 01-12-2016 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 09:25 PM   #8
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkuba View Post
I have done this mod.

Check out my write up thread if you want more info. But basically, on a standard car (except for JB4) it made only a very small difference to volume, even when blocking all holes.
Yeah, have seen that thread thanks. I have downpipes and the exhaust is already loudish just want a little more pops and burbles and maybe a little more volume under power. I think the N54 muffler has additional perforations:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1142747

See how the 90 degree bend pipes are welded up? The pictures from n55 look like they were already solid pipes. I am not sure if it would be best to weld up those pipes in addition to the middle holes.
      01-12-2016, 09:29 PM   #9
OzJustin
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i AT Monaco Blue

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7smurfs
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJustin View Post

Yes I haven't seen anyone local with the Berk either. I like being unique haha.

When I say it's quiet that really depends on your driving style. I'm running the Alpina flash and driving round in the suburbs in auto means it shifts before 2000rpm i.e. Very quiet. Take it out into the country in manual mode & it gets really gruff & angry from 4000rpm onwards. I've heard the 'Race' model is quite a bit louder than my 'Street' model though (seemingly with more drone too).

No exhaust clips sorry. Will try to get one when I'm next in a remote location.
      01-12-2016, 10:38 PM   #10
miiiiiiiitch
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

I've been quoted $300 for a 135 muffler from a wrecker which doesn't really seem worth it, are there any other exhausts similar to berk such as afe or active autowerks that can be easily sourced here? Got a quote for a muffler delete which was $200 with my own tips or about $380 where they fabricate everything which seems like a good option atm
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 11:15 PM   #11
Simonnn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I bought my afe exhaust from these guys a couple of years back:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400362639540...U:1120&vxp=mtr

However with the current exchange rate you're probably looking at >1k AUD landed
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 11:20 PM   #12
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by miiiiiiiitch View Post
I've been quoted $300 for a 135 muffler from a wrecker which doesn't really seem worth it, are there any other exhausts similar to berk such as afe or active autowerks that can be easily sourced here? Got a quote for a muffler delete which was $200 with my own tips or about $380 where they fabricate everything which seems like a good option atm
Give active motorwerke in Melbourne a call. They had mine in stock however it isn't cheap...!

eBay is your best bet for cheaper options
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 11:49 PM   #13
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miiiiiiiitch View Post
Never buy stuff from wreckers. They sell to insurance companies and charge through the nose for everything.

You can get a stock muffler from people selling their exhausts after buying an axleback. Should be $150-200 tops

I've heard a couple different custom muffler deletes on some 335i's (n54). Full delete sounds great when you're in the mood but is crazy loud and drones badly if you're just driving slowly. Also driven a muffler delete 335i + magnaflow and that wasn't as loud but still droney almost as bad.
      01-13-2016, 12:06 AM   #14
Simonnn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Never buy stuff from wreckers. They sell to insurance companies and charge through the nose for everything.

You can get a stock muffler from people selling their exhausts after buying an axleback. Should be $150-200 tops

I've heard a couple different custom muffler deletes on some 335i's (n54). Full delete sounds great when you're in the mood but is crazy loud and drones badly if you're just driving slowly. Also driven a muffler delete 335i + magnaflow and that wasn't as loud but still droney almost as bad.
Sounds like a custom job might be a bit of a bit of a hit and miss then! wonder if anyone out there has a winning combination for a custom setup..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 12:34 AM   #15
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Problem is that almost of the axlebacks are developed for a stock car without downpipes. Chances are if you are getting an exhaust, your car is modified and has or will eventually have downpipes. Even the BMW Performance exhaust will drone with downpipes (if you keep the stock resonator it should be okay though).

Another option is to do something custom with an exhaust flap system. You can buy a weld in remote controlled butterfly valve that you can toggle according to the sound you want. Can even get vacuum operated ones that will likely work with the stock exhaust flap system.
      01-13-2016, 01:19 AM   #16
miiiiiiiitch
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Problem is that almost of the axlebacks are developed for a stock car without downpipes. Chances are if you are getting an exhaust, your car is modified and has or will eventually have downpipes. Even the BMW Performance exhaust will drone with downpipes (if you keep the stock resonator it should be okay though).

Another option is to do something custom with an exhaust flap system. You can buy a weld in remote controlled butterfly valve that you can toggle according to the sound you want. Can even get vacuum operated ones that will likely work with the stock exhaust flap system.
That's not a bad idea, keep the stock exhaust and have a straight pipe that bypasses the muffler with the toggle of a switch, might be a cheaper option. Axle backs seem a bit too expensive for what they are
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 01:51 AM   #17
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonnn View Post
Sounds like a custom job might be a bit of a bit of a hit and miss then! wonder if anyone out there has a winning combination for a custom setup..
Mine was N55 but my custom exhaust went.
Catless DP, custom 2.5" midpipes with magnaflow resonators, 3"muffler delete.
Sounded great and didn't drone, maybe because of larger diameter resonated mid pipes. It was definitely loud at WOT.

I tried two mufflers (magnaflow and Varex) which sounded crap compared to no muffler.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 01:52 AM   #18
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

I have a berk street with a y pipe welded in just after the flange to the midpipes dumping straight down around the axle. I just got my butterfly valve fixed so I just need to reinstall it. Already wired it up to the battery to a switch inside the car so I can manually open and close it but the motor burned out.

Currently running with AR careless DPs and 1M mids. I'll reinstall the valve tonight or Saturday and can maybe take some vids. With the valve open it definitely drones more but overall volume is increased probably 50-100% even just idling.
      01-13-2016, 01:57 AM   #19
miiiiiiiitch
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
I have a berk street with a y pipe welded in just after the flange to the midpipes dumping straight down around the axle. I just got my butterfly valve fixed so I just need to reinstall it. Already wired it up to the battery to a switch inside the car so I can manually open and close it but the motor burned out.

Currently running with AR careless DPs and 1M mids. I'll reinstall the valve tonight or Saturday and can maybe take some vids. With the valve open it definitely drones more but overall volume is increased probably 50-100% even just idling.
Do you have any pics of your setup?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 02:02 AM   #20
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Here's the only one I got. I'll take a pic of it installed with the valve later when I re-install it.
Attached Images

01-13-2016, 05:57 AM   #21
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Here you go.
      01-13-2016, 05:58 AM   #22
froop
Colonel
Australia