BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
bluesunit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: D-Stock 135i

Multiple Reduced Power Lights Plus SES

'08 135i here, 45k miles here, bone stock:

I've been getting very occasional reduced powers I've the last month or so, but they've always cleared after rebooting the car. Today, however, I've had like 5 RPLs and a constant SES. The RPLs clear with a restart, but the SES is on constantly. RPLs appear to be coming on after accelerating hard then going off throttle.

I just had injectors replaced and spark plugs done. Fuel pump was replaced at 25k.

Im calling the dealer on Monday, but any thoughts in the meantime? Think it's time for a new fuel pump?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
BimmerSkunk
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 340i

This happened to a friend's 335i and it was his bearing ledges causing a VANOS code. Exact same symptoms. I'd get that checked ASAP. Let us know what you find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesunit View Post
'08 135i here, 45k miles here, bone stock:

I've been getting very occasional reduced powers I've the last month or so, but they've always cleared after rebooting the car. Today, however, I've had like 5 RPLs and a constant SES. The RPLs clear with a restart, but the SES is on constantly. RPLs appear to be coming on after accelerating hard then going off throttle.

I just had injectors replaced and spark plugs done. Fuel pump was replaced at 25k.

Im calling the dealer on Monday, but any thoughts in the meantime? Think it's time for a new fuel pump?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
bluesunit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: D-Stock 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean96gsr View Post
This happened to a friend's 335i and it was his bearing ledges causing a VANOS code. Exact same symptoms. I'd get that checked ASAP. Let us know what you find.
You're 100% correct.

I brought the car in and after about an hour one of the techs came to talk to me (which is weird for my dealer, they usually keep the techs and customers as separate as possible).

He said that he'd found two codes:1) One of the injectors was throwing a constant out of calibration warning and 2) Exhaust VANOS mechanically stuck/stiff.

He said he'd fixed the calibration in hopes that it would correct the exhaust VANOS code, but that there was a know issue with the bearing ledges. We went out an rawhided the car a bit but couldn't get the codes to return, so we called it fixed until we heard otherwise.

Of course, as soon as I leave the dealer, I get a code sitting in traffic.

It's going in Monday to have the VANOS solenoids replaced and the head torn down to check and see if the bearing carriers need to be replaced.

It sounds like the most likely cause is oil contamination, but I've been religious about changing the oil. Maybe I was just unlucky? I believe thy added a screen to the VANOS solenoids to prevent this from happening.

TL;DR: Here's what the problem is and what the fix is:

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/Arti...ed_in_dme.aspx
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
BimmerSkunk
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 340i

Almost exactly one month after we had this discussion, mine threw the VANOS codes as well. ~ 44,230 miles, so roughly the same as yours. I couldn't believe it.

They tore into my motor and found no abnormal wear, which made me happy. 2 new VANOS solenoids and the car seems to be back to normal. How did you make out?
Appreciate 0