BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-23-2009, 10:10 PM   #45
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

It's possible there was something wrong with his tester car. But it's more likely he is just a blowhard.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 10:14 PM   #46
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: women crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed 2.0 View Post
It's possible there was something wrong with his tester car. But it's more likely he is just a blowhard.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 10:24 PM   #47
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
Actually RPM I posted to hear everyone's rebuttal...I especially wanted to hear what you guys thought of the "the 135i bucks and snaps like a cheap Kia" and "On the real road, the 135i continually fights the driver with heavy steering and an extremely twitchy nature"
Well, have you driven the car you're thinking of buying, both of them?

You drive, you decide.

Do you REALLY think someone who describes a BMW as being like a cheap Kia, should be taken seriously?

Heavy and twitchy? This guy is an idiot.

There is a thread on that very article, with many many many rebuttals.

I find some quirks with the 135i, like the suspension that could have been dialed in better. But, overall, driving the 1 is NOTHING like a Kia, or a Hyundai, or Ford, or Chevy, or Honda, or etc.... It is very much a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 10:44 PM   #48
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Well, have you driven the car you're thinking of buying, both of them?

You drive, you decide.
Quote:
I have test driven both cars and that hasnt been able to make up my mind hence why I am at this fork in the road.
First/Original Post

I am probably going to go with 135i because the 335 doesnt have that much more space, if the trunk and rear seating were significantly bigger in the 335i I would have chosen it
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #49
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
First/Original Post

I am probably going to go with 135i because the 335 doesnt have that much more space, if the trunk and rear seating were significantly bigger in the 335i I would have chosen it
I was in the same situation a couple of months ago. I liked the 135i but I wasn't sure either. I really like the sedan with the new redesigned look, it's MUCH better than before. For me, it was more between the 135i and the 328i sport sedan, the 335i sedan was more than I wanted to spend.
Then, I looked at the 3 series coupes. The leases were excellent and it was a reasonable price increase to get a 335ci.

It came down to how much space did I really need vs how much I thought I needed. I like a sedan for all it's storage and carrying space. But, I don't drive many people many times.
The 3 coupe is a bit bigger than the 1, and it has better headroom, for me anyway, than the 1. Overall, I didn't see why I would want the 3 coupe over the 1 coupe. To me the 135i looks better than a 328ci or 335ci.
There's something about the rear half of the 3 coupe that's too Japanese and/or too...girlish, I guess. The 135i has a cool kinda quirky look.
Some angles are stout and rough, and some are sleek and purposeful.

If someone wants a bit more space, and a more mainstream sleek look, the 3 coupes are quite nice, yet kinda mundane.
If someone wants space, utility, classic sport sedan shape, the 3 series is the choice.
If you want a drivers cockpit feel, don't need to carry more than 2 people for longer than about an hour or two, want something unique and different with performance to take on and easily run with the big boys, then the 1 can easily be the one.

My 135i is supposed to dock in S.Carolina today. My SA thinks I may have my 135i by next week.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 05:51 PM   #50
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

Very insightful RPM, thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #51
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed 2.0 View Post
The guys over there also reviewed the 128 vert. They hated the car because it was hot outside when they drove it (see below)..

"Unseasonably hot, 97-degree late-April weather be damned.
Within 60 miles, it was clear I was the one who was damned. Perching on leather seats without a roof on a cloudless day is a combination only out-dumbed by a fresh-off-the-plane, no-SPF sojourn at an Australian beach. Sure, I could have pulled over and raised the 128i's lid. But I'm a journalist damn it! Heatstroke is who I am and what I do.
After building the bridge on the river Kwai, I left the 215 in Upland. Could the BMW 128i really be this awful? Seriously; 60 miles had never felt so tortuous. I could only justify the misery by telling myself that the hot, windy, loud and uncomfortable ordeal was good practice for my upcoming LeMons race. But in reality, there is no way a $100 Volvo could be this bad."

Good thing it wasn't hailing outside..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #52
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

To his defense I could never drive a Covertiable I would faint
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 12:41 PM   #53
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
To his defense I could never drive a Covertiable I would faint
Do you faint walking to your car? I am not sure I understand your defense of his article? Convertibles have tops that go up for a reason. You can put them up and down depending on the weather. To complain about the weather as your main critique of a specific convertible seems unneccessary. Most vert owners put the top up and crank the AC when the weather is uncomfortable.

He could test the coupe in 100 degree weather with the AC off and be uncomfortable, as well... It doesn't say much about the car, though.

Anyway, none of this has a lot to do with the original question, but the website with one of the few bad reviews of the 1 series was mentioned, so I thought I would post just how ludicrous their reviews can be. Even the article linked above seems to indicate that the 1 and 3 have different engines ("the 135i's auto feels cheaper and slower-witted than the sublime ZF-equipped 335i.")...every other source on the web claims they have the same engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #54
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uofmtiger View Post
Do you faint walking to your car? I am not sure I understand your defense of his article?
Quote:

I was standing with my car in the garage (with Garage open) taking some books out of the back seat for all of 10 minutes and I nearly fainted from the heat lol.

I sweat as if I ran a marathon just walking from my car to my house.

And no I am not overweight, I just cant take heat, set my A/C to 65 and I play "Ice" Hockey for fun
So yeah I faint walking to my car
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 01:37 PM   #55
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
So yeah I faint walking to my car
Then you just leave the top up when it is hot... In any case, it was a stupid way to review the car.

It is hot as hell here, too. So I do get your humor. I just want to make the point that I would find a better source for reviews.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #56
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

I dont disagree...I think his review is stupid.

But that being said, although convertibles are cool, I could never own one. I cant stand the heat even when its winter (in florida) so I would never have it down.

Plus it is sunny outside and its pissing rain. Weirdest thing I've ever seen, rain with no clouds. I have also seen it rain across the street and not where I was standing.

Freaken Florida
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #57
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by uofmtiger View Post
("the 135i's auto feels cheaper and slower-witted than the sublime ZF-equipped 335i.")...every other source on the web claims they have the same engine.
What does the difference in the tranny have to do with the engines?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #58
amiller212
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 135i

I've read so many reviews of the 135 and the 335 and the only thing that I see repeatedly mentioned is the 335's aesthetic appeal.

I like the looks of the 135 (my car will be here in August) but I can see where people come from when they say they don't like it. The 335 (coupe and sedan) is a very nice looking car. If BMW had been able to infuse the same "sexiness" of the 3 in the 1-series, I think you would see a lot less of people arguing the 3 is that much better. Ultimately, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I can't wait for my 1 to get here!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #59
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
What does the difference in the tranny have to do with the engines?
Sorry, meant tranny...that's what I get for posting while doing other stuff at work... The both have a ZF tranny.

Here is the Bimmerfile review:

Quote:
However the single option that defined this particular car’s experience more than anything was the newly released ZF Steptronic 6-speed automatic transmission. As someone who has clearly been defined as a stick-shift snob, I was dissapointed to learn that our test car would be coming with an slush-box. However a lot has been made of this particular transmission since it was released on the 335i last year. It’s shift times, ability to match revs on downshifts and general flexibility has won over many reviewers. And while I can’t quite call it the perfect choice for the enthusiast driver, I can definitely say that it is the best auto I’ve ever driven.

Also, they both use the GA6HP19Z tranny. If you look on this page you will see the 135i and the 335i listed under the same number:

Quote:

GA6HP19Z

E82/E88

135i All
The transmission fluid has a Condition Based Service interval of approximately 100,000 miles; please refer to S.I. B00 07
02 for further information. Never mix any other oil with this transmission fluid when doing repairs or topping up.
Shell M-1375.4, BMW Part No. 83 22 0 142 516.

E90/91/92

325i, 328i, 330i, 335i, All

Since they are the same tranny mated to the same engine, I find it hard to believe the review unless the guy got a 135i with a bad HPFP.

Appreciate 0