BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-15-2007, 07:55 PM   #111
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

2 pics from the Automobile Magazine article.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 08:53 PM   #112
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

Quote:
OH MY FUCKING GOD - THAT IS SO HOT

im speechless..

i take back every inkling of negative comment towards that car (still wish they made a sedan with an at least useable backseat)
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 09:06 PM   #113
jt328i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2000 328i

Been reading this forum for the last couple of months (and it's been fun following the slow unveiling of this car) and the last few pictures have inspired me to put in my $0.02.

The 1er (or 2er or whatever they're coing to call it) coupe looks more like a successor to the E46 coupe than the actual E92 successor, but I imagine that BMW intended that as they move the 3er coupe more upmarket and more like a mini-6-series.

When a 6'2" Stuck looks like he's got lots of headroom, you know you're going to be sitting low to the floor and therefore have that sitting in a tub feeling with a high beltline. I'm having trouble reconciling how the car looks bland in some pictures but really hunkered down in others (like last set of the grey car).

I was thinking of getting a used E46 coupe for my next BMW, preferably a 330Ci with ZHP, but I'm now thinking a 1er. It'll probably be more expensive than a used E46 coupe, but I'm really liking the way it looks. And it looks like the last grey car had a red interior, which I really go for but I think I'm in the minority on that one ("it'a a car not a bordello").

For all those that are posting pictures, keep up the good work... we need our fix.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 10:18 PM   #114
Brookside
Major
Rep

I came to terms about a month ago with Advevo's pics of the Nurburgring blue coupe.

My wife thinks the car looks like what she calls "a generic BMW".

I see it's design as something that's been pared down to bedrock-
a minimalist conception of BMW design. And never would I have guessed that the hatch could be transformed into such a great looking coupe.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 01:01 AM   #115
larry lawless
excellence
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
I came to terms about a month ago with Advevo's pics of the Nurburgring blue coupe.

My wife thinks the car looks like what she calls "a generic BMW".

I see it's design as something that's been pared down to bedrock-
a minimalist conception of BMW design. And never would I have guessed that the hatch could be transformed into such a great looking coupe.

I am so with you on that when i saw ADVEVO'S pics too i was completely hooked on this car since then. And now i'm like a dog drooling, waiting for the next piece of meat:headbang:
      06-16-2007, 06:40 AM   #116
Brookside
Major
Rep

Release of BMW Press Package

Scott26 today on GCZ.com:

"What I have been told is that due to constant embargo breaking which leads to confusion amongst BMW distributors in other countries - ie release the PR anyway even though it is leaked when BMW still have embargo on.

So BMW are not uploading anything to the media pool this early from now on. This is to prevent the usual suspects to stop breaking of embargo .
Nearly every BMW launch has been leaked before official announcement - BMW also like to do internal launches for guests on the day of official release - pre-release of images and text somewhat dampen the enthusiasm.

I was not on the Coupe work schedule ( But I am on the Cabrio - something about "perceptions" is what I am aiming for) But remember the scoop - which led to a delay in the schedule so they were behind - Remember though what you will see first is a step release - the media presentation. Further info will be updated further until the European launch at Frankfurt in september."

Does this seem cryptic? Trying to read between the lines I think he's saying that we'll see the press pack on Tuesday or at least portions of it.:iono:
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 06:49 AM   #117
danp
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kere View Post
this is a brilliant picture, and the best angle of the car for me, nicely hunkered down, a bit like a 90% scale model of the E46 M3.

You also can't see the slightly long and scrawny rear overhang...but overall looking good...7/10...but roll on the ///M...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 01:21 PM   #118
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Wow guys, this car is seriuosly starting to look hot :headbang:.

BTW, for those talking about modifications, I believe I can calm some nerves. Current tuning for the N54, from companies like Vishnu, allow the user to upgrade the car through a piggy-back computer that plugs inline between the cars sensors and computer, thus allowing the unit to modify the signals it recieves from the sensors while still fooling the computer into thinking that it is running stock. Additionally, these units can be removed for trips to the dealer. Don't worry guys, this car will be fun to mod .
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 10:35 PM   #119
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by danp View Post
this is a brilliant picture, and the best angle of the car for me, nicely hunkered down, a bit like a 90% scale model of the E46 M3
That shot really works because you get a really good look at the depth of the rear-wheel arches. In my opinion, a real sports car should have a nicely flared rear wheel arch and very few cars have been able to break this rule. Fortunately, this 135i M Sport doesnt disappoint. Beautifully proportioned.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 07:05 AM   #120
ZweierCoupe
Private
Rep
Drives:

Sporty Look Lies in the Wheels and Air Scoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt328i View Post
I'm having trouble reconciling how the car looks bland in some pictures but really hunkered down in others (like last set of the grey car).
The difference (bland vs. sporty) is attributable to the front bumper air scoops plus different wheels and tires. The sporty wheels shown in the recent photos appear to be 19-inch wheels, with different tire sizes for front and rear. However, wheels of that size would require some kind of active damping feature in the shock absorbers. Failure to provide this suspension enhancement as an option, if it's not already standard anyway, would be a big disappointment.

I have no idea if the final stamping dies for the exterior metal shapes have already been determined or if minor modifications are still possible. Usually four or five intermediate dies are necessary during the stamping process to form the sheet metal, in intermediate steps, and achieve the form. Very slight and subtle changes to the exterior can impact the way the light is reflected and thus what the overall appearance is.

Frankly, I'm not sure why BMW would even want to introduce a bland version of this type of car, for which the likely type of purchaser demographics are already understood. Nor is it so important how comfortable a big guy fits in the rear seats on long trips, though it would make sense not to have the back seat divider like the 3-series coupé so that one person sitting in the rear can stretch his feet sideways. Since the small coupé will likely sell much better than the bloated 3-series coupé, it will certainly get the full "efficient dynamics" features, to reduce the company's average carbon dioxide emissions as much as possible.

If anyone feels so strongly about aspects of the small coupé (including whether it should get a 2-series badge or not), the person to communicate with would be Dick Arnold, BMW head of market research, according to an article I read in a car magazine.

What's most important is performance and handling. Since BMW allowed photos of race car driver Stuck at the Nürburgring to be shown in its pre-release marketing campaign, along with the mention that a camera was filming from the inside, I hope that this video will be released on the Internet. I'm rather curious whether the car can do a lap on this circuit within 500 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 11:37 AM   #121
jt328i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2000 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZweierCoupe View Post
The difference (bland vs. sporty) is attributable to the front bumper air scoops plus different wheels and tires. The sporty wheels shown in the recent photos appear to be 19-inch wheels, with different tire sizes for front and rear. However, wheels of that size would require some kind of active damping feature in the shock absorbers. Failure to provide this suspension enhancement as an option, if it's not already standard anyway, would be a big disappointment.

I have no idea if the final stamping dies for the exterior metal shapes have already been determined or if minor modifications are still possible. Usually four or five intermediate dies are necessary during the stamping process to form the sheet metal, in intermediate steps, and achieve the form. Very slight and subtle changes to the exterior can impact the way the light is reflected and thus what the overall appearance is.
Interesting comments, ZweierCoupe. It seems to me like the last set of pictures of the grey car appear to have more "flame surfacing" and that could be a variation in stampings, but that could also be just the lighting. I do agree with the last few posters about the fender flares... just like an E46 M3 but hopefully we don't have to pay E46 M3 prices to get it.

Like I said in my first post, I'm looking at getting this instead of an E46 coupe but am concerned about the interior room and general size. Any thoughts or speculation about interior and exterior dimensions? I think we all agree that it's going to cramped in the rear seat, but is it going to be any worse than an E46 coupe and can I still throw my two kids in the back?

Someone said something about preferring the chrome window trim over the black window trim. I like the chrome better myself but I think we're in the minority. It seems BMW likes to use black for the low-end models, chrome for the high-end models, and back to black ("shadowline" or high-gloss black) for the M/Sport models. Sounds crazy but if I got a M/Sport model with black trim, I think I'd change it myself after the fact.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 12:14 PM   #122
larry lawless
excellence
Rep
Drives:

Well about the back seat space, a lot of people seem to be concerned about that and maybe i can shed some light on this subject. I have a e30 m3 and im 6 feet tall and i can fit in the back seats of my e30. I also have a rsx type-s which i can also fit into the back, although in the rsx it is a bit more cramped due to the sloping rear window and the fact that its a hatch. So if the 1 series coupe's back seats are in between these 2 cars it should be fine for most people to get into especially if its closer to the e30. And definitely for your kids to get into.

06-17-2007, 07:35 PM   #123
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry lawless View Post
I have a e30 m3 and im 6 feet tall and i can fit in the back seats of my e30.
They only time I am in the rear seat of my E30 M3 is when I am detailing the interior. At 5'11" I also have plenty of room, but I would not want to ride back there for a lengthy amount of time.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 08:20 PM   #124
larry lawless
excellence
Rep
Drives:

Yes i agree with you on that ULTIMATE. But i think you'll agree that there is enough space for most of the usual running around and hangin out that we do.
:respekt:
      06-17-2007, 08:21 PM   #125
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Yes i agree with you on that ULTIMATE. But i think you'll agree that there is enough space for most of the usual running around and hangin out that we do.
I'm 100% sure it has more space than my s2000 in the rear. I did have two chicks sit in one seat though. Hotness right there....swooosh...haha
      06-17-2007, 08:27 PM   #126
larry lawless
excellence
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
I'm 100% sure it has more space than my s2000 in the rear. I did have two chicks sit in one seat though. Hotness right there....swooosh...haha

HaHa...........you got that
      06-17-2007, 11:23 PM   #127
ghotman906
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

if both the red/orange coupe and the grey coupe are the 135 models, why is that the grey doesnt have the chrome molding around the windows?

btw has anyone noticed the pop-up navi on the grey BMW? it doesnt seem intergrated like in the other models from BMW equipped w/ i-drive...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 12:25 AM   #128
hoefx
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghotman906 View Post
if both the red/orange coupe and the grey coupe are the 135 models, why is that the grey doesnt have the chrome molding around the windows?

btw has anyone noticed the pop-up navi on the grey BMW? it doesnt seem intergrated like in the other models from BMW equipped w/ i-drive...
I am not sure about the molding but the navi looks to be the same as what is available in the hatch.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 12:37 AM   #129
PierrePHRWEAUX
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghotman906 View Post

The M sport package (both the red and grey seems to have it) will certainly have the shadow line (black molding) as it uses to on the other models. But the chrome line should be on the models without M-sport kit. They just sometimes put chrome line on the test mules even if that version won't get it (Like there were some ME mules with chrome line too).
The navigation system in the 1 is the same as in the Z4, with a 'retractable' screen.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 12:43 AM   #130
PierrePHRWEAUX
Private
Rep
Drives:

I meant "...(Like there were some M3 mules with chrome line too)..."
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 07:02 AM   #131
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierrePHRWEAUX View Post
I meant "...(Like there were some M3 mules with chrome line too)..."
Personally I like the chrome strip. Isn't this available on the hatch in Europe as a seperate option? Chrome sets the bright colors of very nicely.

Also, interesting post about the metal stampers. I didn't know it was that complicated.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 09:25 AM   #132
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:

As long as there is enough room in the rear to carry my growing child and maybe the occasional adult, I will be happy. Of course the interior materials will have to be decent, otherwise I will have to pass if they are cheap and thin plastics are used.
Appreciate 0