BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Question OEM or Prior Design?

Ive decided that the 1M body style is just to damn sexy to not turn my 135i into a look alike.

Prior Design kits are going for roughly 5k, and usually 5k for paint, install, and modding the rear fenders.

Buying OEM is going to be about 2k.

Ive been told by a body shop that the Prior Design kit will in the long term save money over the OEM. Since OEM will take a lot more body work to get fitment right. So what are some of your opinions on this statement?

My concern is they just want me to buy the Prior Design so they get more money out of me and also another concern is if say I'm unfortunately in an accident... Im not sure how easy it will be to get a replacement from them over getting a OEM replacement...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
n54pete
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e82

as for kit vs oem I can't comment as I have no experience but if you're simply after the body style of the 1M and don't require the added width to run wider tires up front, have you considered the 1M style 135 front? gives you the aggressive look of the 1M front without having to modify sides and rear fender.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by n54pete View Post
as for kit vs oem I can't comment as I have no experience but if you're simply after the body style of the 1M and don't require the added width to run wider tires up front, have you considered the 1M style 135 front? gives you the aggressive look of the 1M front without having to modify sides and rear fender.
Yes I have considered this set up. Still an option i suppose. But i like the side fenders and and widened stance.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 07:57 PM   #4
Curare86
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54pete View Post
I personally think OEM is a far better option than prior design and that is what everyone on these forums has been doing. OEM parts don't have fitment issues, thats the point of buying OEM. Im willing to bet that part quality/materials and final fitment would be much better with BMW parts. And its cheaper!! I think that statements crap. The only OEM parts requiring bodywork are the rear quarters, which the prior kit requires too. Theyve been done a few different ways here. Some have them custom made, others of us bought OEM rear quarter panels which I prefer personally since I felt its a more secure option. Priors rear quarter inserts arent even metal are they?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
Curare86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken View Post
Ive decided that the 1M body style is just to damn sexy to not turn my 135i into a look alike.

Prior Design kits are going for roughly 5k, and usually 5k for paint, install, and modding the rear fenders.

Buying OEM is going to be about 2k.

Ive been told by a body shop that the Prior Design kit will in the long term save money over the OEM. Since OEM will take a lot more body work to get fitment right. So what are some of your opinions on this statement?

My concern is they just want me to buy the Prior Design so they get more money out of me and also another concern is if say I'm unfortunately in an accident... Im not sure how easy it will be to get a replacement from them over getting a OEM replacement...
I personally think OEM is a far better option than prior design and that is what everyone on these forums has been doing. OEM parts don't have fitment issues, thats the point of buying OEM. Im willing to bet that part quality/materials and final fitment would be much better with BMW parts. And its cheaper!! The rear quarters are the only part requiring bodywork with both kits so I think your shop's statement is BS. Theyve been done a few different ways here. Some have them custom made, others of us bought OEM rear quarter panels which I prefer personally since I felt its a more secure option. Arent the prior design rear wheel arches made of plastic?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare86 View Post
I personally think OEM is a far better option than prior design and that is what everyone on these forums has been doing. OEM parts don't have fitment issues, thats the point of buying OEM. Im willing to bet that part quality/materials and final fitment would be much better with BMW parts. And its cheaper!! The rear quarters are an issue of course with either route. Theyve been done a few different ways here. Some have them custom made, others of us bought OEM rear quarter panels which I prefer personally since I felt its a more secure option.
I saw the option to buy OEM rear quarter panels. How would that work with installation? Wouldn't that require to modify the whole frame instead of just modifying the arches?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #7
Curare86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I saw the option to buy OEM rear quarter panels. How would that work with installation? Wouldn't that require to modify the whole frame instead of just modifying the arches?
Its just the same as having a smashed rear quarter requiring replacement. The mounting points are all the same, the fenders just more flared. It is definitely more work than customised rear quarters though. If I was getting customised rear quarters id much rather have metal ones in case of rubbing etc than duraflex, which is a FRP
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Its just the same as having a smashed rear quarter requiring replacement. The mounting points are all the same, the fenders just more flared. It is definitely more work than customised rear quarters though. If I was getting customised rear quarters id much rather have metal ones in case of rubbing etc than duraflex, which is a FRP
Very true. Hmm something ill have to think about now. I wouldn't mind just having the entire car OEM all around vs modded..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 08:23 PM   #9
Curare86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Very true. Hmm something ill have to think about now. I wouldn't mind just having the entire car OEM all around vs modded..
If you do decide on OEM, ilikebmxbikes has a thread somewhere detailing all the little bits that are needed to make things trouble free.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #10
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
here ya go @yeineken this is what @curare86 is referring to: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818411

Bug either of us if you have any specific questions.

I haven't looked through the thread in a long long time but I would also add rear arch undershield. Also you will need custom work for the battery cables.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 10:41 PM   #11
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
here ya go @yeineken this is what @curare86 is referring to: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818411

I haven't looked through the thread in a long long time but I would also add rear arch undershield. Also you will need custom work for the battery cables.
Thanks for the feedback. Was a new hood also required for proper fitment?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 11:26 PM   #12
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. Was a new hood also required for proper fitment?
hood, trunk, etc is the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #13
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks, so say i want to try and save on shop cost like some others did and install body pieces myself. How hard was it take off the 135i bumper and put on the 1M bumper? is there anything special that needs to be done? I know you need to remove and update the windshield washer tank for the fenders and update the rear for the quad exhaust. But overall just getting the 1M pieces on the car how hard was this?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 08:31 AM   #14
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken
Quote:
Thanks, so say i want to try and save on shop cost like some others did and install body pieces myself. How hard was it take off the 135i bumper and put on the 1M bumper? is there anything special that needs to be done? I know you need to remove and update the windshield washer tank for the fenders and update the rear for the quad exhaust. But overall just getting the 1M pieces on the car how hard was this?
It's not hard if you know what you are doing. Everything is bolt up and because it is OEM, fits like it should.

Use the DIY for removing the bumper. The only difference between 135i/1m bumper removal is the 1m has a second screw where the fender/bumper meet by the headlight, where 135 I has one.

Side skirts are direct bolt on.

As curae said, OEM is the way to go. Prior will not fit like OEM. It just wont. I find it hard to believe prior would include ducting and other details the OEM does. Even if shop labor is more on OEM (it shouldn't be much more) the parts are cheaper and better quality .
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #15
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
It's not hard if you know what you are doing. Everything is bolt up and because it is OEM, fits like it should.

Use the DIY for removing the bumper. The only difference between 135i/1m bumper removal is the 1m has a second screw where the fender/bumper meet by the headlight, where 135 I has one.

As curae said, OEM is the way to go. Prior will not fit like OEM. It just wont. I find it hard to believe prior would include ducting and other details the OEM does. Even if shop labor is more on OEM (it shouldn't be much more) the parts are cheaper and better quality .
Thanks again for the help guys. Really helps. Think i will go the OEM way so it is of better quality.

ilikebmxbikes: what did it cost you to have the rear fender done without painting it? (if you don't mind me asking)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #16
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Thanks again for the help guys. Really helps. Think i will go the OEM way so it is of better quality.

ilikebmxbikes: what did it cost you to have the rear fender done without painting it? (if you don't mind me asking)
4-5k, we got it done at the same place at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #17
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
4-5k, we got it done at the same place at the same time.
Hmm I'm curious if at that price if it wouldn't hurt just have a full 1M rear quarter panel installed while buying them for $605 a piece.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 11:50 AM   #18
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Hmm I'm curious if at that price if it wouldn't hurt just have a full 1M rear quarter panel installed while buying them for $605 a piece.
it is the about the same price either way. I would definitely go for the "grafting method" with the 1M rear quarters though.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #19
Curare86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post

As curare said, OEM is the way to go. Prior will not fit like OEM. It just wont. I find it hard to believe prior would include ducting and other details the OEM does. Even if shop labor is more on OEM (it shouldn't be much more) the parts are cheaper and better quality .
wooh someone agrees with me for once
with rear exhaust, supersprint makes an exhaust for the 135i with 1m bumper so you dont need to swap the battery tray. I think its pretty pricey though. For all the other 1m exhausts you'll have to do the battery tray mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 05:27 PM   #20
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
wooh someone agrees with me for once
with rear exhaust, supersprint makes an exhaust for the 135i with 1m bumper so you dont need to swap the battery tray. I think its pretty pricey though. For all the other 1m exhausts you'll have to do the battery tray mod.
Thanks for this tip. I may go that route.

Has anyone ever modified a BMW performance exhaust to a quad tip?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #21
Curare86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for this tip. I may go that route.

Has anyone ever modified a BMW performance exhaust to a quad tip?
Not that ive heard of.. the positions of the stock tips wont line up with the 1m rear diffuser so youd have to move them as well as adding the extra 2 pipes
Appreciate 0