BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-17-2014, 07:04 AM   #1
mccandless
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

What Is With The Tow Hooks!!!

OK, so this is a bit of a rant, but i just couldn't hold back any longer.

WHAT IS WITH THE TOW HOOKS!!!

Can someone explain it to me? I see some cars with cheap aluminum tow hooks sticking out of the front bumper.

Is it because race cars have them? Are they pretending to be race drivers, or do you think they actually see track time?

Do they plan on crashing their car and getting towed out of a ditch? Do they crash so often that is saves time to just leave the hook in the bumper?
I don't think it's even legal to leave them in on the street.

Why do they buy cheap aluminum ones when there is a perfectly good tow hook in the trunk? If they actually need to be pulled out of a ditch, i know some tow truck drivers will not pull on those aftermarket hooks, so they're going to have to get the one from the trunk anyway.

I'm not judging, people can do whatever they want with their cars, I'm just wondering why.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #2
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
I blame inbreeding.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

One of my biggest pet peeves, people who run tow hooks when they are not on the track.

If you're going to run a tow hook, something proper like this is a lot better, and functional on the track

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-27...lue-black.aspx
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
New21er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Looks like a tongue hanging out.^^
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
LAZ
OneThirty5Eye
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Some people put the tow hook in because often times the covers get stolen...
      02-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

It's definitely grown into a hipster thing when I see it in pictures. Kind of like, all those people that were hanging those little plush toys from the under rears of their car.

I would say that most cars on the road that have it, are on there merely for looks, which I think looks pretty silly.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #7
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

It's just as dumb as you think it is. My favorite is when it paired to some awful "cambro" "dapper" stanceworks POS. They really have the ricers beat these days for the lowest tier of car ruiners.
      02-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Let's not turn this into "I hate the stance scene cuz..." thread, but let's get this straight. Yes, in most cases you see those tow hooks on lowered (stanced) vehicles with some wannabe race theme. So it's there just for aesthetics purpose. What I don't understand more than tow hooks are roll cages in street-driven, slammed cars. Like a Golf, or hell, there's now even a stanced 135 on here with it.

FYI, I'm not a stance-hater.
      02-17-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Always surprises me the degree to which people get bothered by what other people do to their cars…but anyways, I agree it looks a bit silly and have no plans to have one on my cars. With that said..it’s a tow hook. If you don’t like it, get over it.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #10
mabutler308@yahoo.com
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 i35is, Carbon Black

Garage List
lol - I would agree. I often see things people have done to their cars as I am driving around and think "I would never do that, but to each his own". I know others don't always agree with what I have done with my cars. The tow hook thing is one of those things I would not do to a street car, but again - to each his own. :-)
      02-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #11
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Yeah, exactly. To each his own.

Still better than donks and FnF ricers, huh.
      02-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #12
mccandless
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

So i guess it's just a fad that has no real purpose other than personal style (which is fine and totally subjective).

But one good thing about it, once the fad is over, it's easy to remove with no scars. Not like 10 years ago when the kids drilled holes in their trunk to mount huge wings.

Last edited by mccandless; 02-17-2014 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #13
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccandless View Post
But one good thing about it, once the fad is over, it's easy to remove with no scars. Not like 10 years ago when to kids drilled holes in their trunk to mount huge wings.
Oh darn, I was about to order one.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 04:15 PM   #14
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
"To each their own" is what everyone types after they really mean to say.

I think XXxXxX looks like crap, but to each their own.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #15
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
One of my biggest pet peeves, people who run tow hooks when they are not on the track.

If you're going to run a tow hook, something proper like this is a lot better, and functional on the track

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-27...lue-black.aspx
Because racecar

But seriously it does look stupid leaving it in on the street.

I have one of those tow straps for the rear tow point, but you can't screw it into the front tow hook while the bumper is on. Next time I have the bumper off I'll screw it in and then I can just pull it out when at the track.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #16
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
"To each their own" is what everyone types after they really mean to say.

I think XXxXxX looks like crap, but to each their own.
True but sometimes its meant as: "I don't like that but I don't have the balls to say so."

And sometimes its genuinely meant as "This is my opinion but I am intelligent enough to realise that my opinion should only apply to my car."

I read (or saw) once somewhere that you should always ignore the part of a person's statement that comes before the word "BUT".

That's a fairly bleak way to live though so I try to assume that people are always giving "constructive" criticism and that they would never actually try to tell me what to do with my own car...
      02-18-2014, 06:06 AM   #17
mccandless
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

This thread has opened up an interesting discussion. I wonder how many people are holding back with cosmetic mods because they are worried about what others might think.

Personally, i really like race stripes. I know not everyone does. And to be honest, I've been holding back because i was worried about other peoples opinion. But screw it, it's my car, i'm putting stripes on it!

Are there any mods you guys are holding back from because of popular opinion?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #18
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Let's not turn this into "I hate the stance scene cuz..." thread
Why not? We get grouped in with them for being "car people". If they are going to besmirch our image, why not call them out for the mouth breathing idiots that they are?

And this is before we get into all the good cars they ruin...
      02-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #19
Fifty3bags
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Why not? We get grouped in with them for being "car people". If they are going to besmirch our image, why not call them out for the mouth breathing idiots that they are?

And this is before we get into all the good cars they ruin...
I still don't see why there is so much hate towards the 'stance scene'. Are they not car people? What's the difference in the way they choose to modify their car compared to the hotrod scene where people take classic muscle cars and chop them up to fit wider wheels, remove the stock suspension for newer suspension? To some people that would be considered 'ruining' a car because they didn't restore it to factory specs/numbers matching/etc. Just because you don't like the style doesn't mean you have to thrash on it, and you don't have to take every thread that has a hint of talking about the 'stance scene' in that direction.

On topic: Most of the time the tow hooks are for looks. Not too many people track their cars and have a need for a tow hook. It's an additional accessory that can be added to your car and customized to your liking
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #20
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty3bags View Post
I still don't see why there is so much hate towards the 'stance scene'. Are they not car people? What's the difference in the way they choose to modify their car compared to the hotrod scene where people take classic muscle cars and chop them up to fit wider wheels, remove the stock suspension for newer suspension? To some people that would be considered 'ruining' a car because they didn't restore it to factory specs/numbers matching/etc. Just because you don't like the style doesn't mean you have to thrash on it, and you don't have to take every thread that has a hint of talking about the 'stance scene' in that direction.

On topic: Most of the time the tow hooks are for looks. Not too many people track their cars and have a need for a tow hook. It's an additional accessory that can be added to your car and customized to your liking
No, they aren't car people. They are fashion people chasing the current idiotic trend set by the trashiest group of car owners.

Just look at them.

02-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #21
135iam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6mt

^^^^at least pic a shot with a tow hook installed. lol

My previous weekend/track day car was an S2000 with rollbar, Cobra race seats, Schroth ASM FE harnesses (DOT legal race harnesses). Non staggard track tires (Star specs/RE-11's) brake cooling ducts, suspension, etc. I took that damn tow hook off when I left the track.

But to each their own. If matching the paint on your tow hook, rims, rear view mirrors, and roll bar makes your car a "race car" then go for it. I personally like the sleeper look.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #22
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
The tow hook in that first pic is a Rennline one and I can vouch for that one being a quality piece. But those shiny aluminum ones from eBay are crap. People prefer fold down style because it protrudes out less from the bumper, call it convenient or safe. I used to have the Rennline piece because it doubled as a GoPro adapter but now that I record from inside the cabin I sold that two hook and now use the OEM one.