E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Mp3 for E90's with Navi

11-18-2005, 02:14 PM   #23
tirtaps
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d e92

Garage List
2008 335D e92  [0.00]
2005 330d  [0.00]
JamieA > I think all e90 with business navi worked fine with mp3; I think the problem was only with pro navi
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2005, 04:43 AM   #24
CardinalZeus77
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.2 Carrera S

Garage List
MP3

I have contacted my dealer to find out if there is a software update in the UK which will sort out the problem of playing MP3s on cars with Navi Prof. Will keep you posted!

Hitman999
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2005, 05:23 AM   #25
garethpeate
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 325iSE (E90)

I don't want to appear pessimistic, but it was going to be available September, then October, now late November - early December... I'm beginning to spot a pattern emerging.

Would BMW really leave the pro-nav systems so under-specced that the hardware couldn't support MP3?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2005, 05:41 AM   #26
Costa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethpeate
I don't want to appear pessimistic, but it was going to be available September, then October, now late November - early December... I'm beginning to spot a pattern emerging.

Would BMW really leave the pro-nav systems so under-specced that the hardware couldn't support MP3?
Can you tell us what your user's manual says about MP3 support. I am guessing that if it says that Prof Navi can do it (I am guessing you have Prof Navi ?), then you can hold BMW to it under warranty ?
      11-19-2005, 11:22 AM   #27
cdxp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325 Saphire Black

Is pro-navi with MP3 working anywhere in the world ?

Were all these post october MP3 cars bus navi ?
Does anyone anywhere have a working pro-navi with

RDS
MP3

My RDS was working but got broken with the latest software update (that didnt fix the MP3)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 04:13 AM   #28
CardinalZeus77
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.2 Carrera S

Garage List
MP3

Hi,

My manual says that the CD will play MP3s but I have had no luck so far!

Hitman999
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2005, 05:36 PM   #29
cdxp
Enlisted Member
Rep

They can make it work in a pair of f*cking sunglasses but not a $100,000 dollar car ??!!

Music That Goes To Your Head : BMW Introduces MP3 Sunwear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marriage of Sight and Sound Produces Hi-Tech, Stylish Sunglasses with Built-in MP3 Player, Stereo Earphones

Woodcliff Lake, NJ - September 23, 2005… Music fans can enjoy an eye - and ear opening experience - with the new BMW MP3 Sunwear. Users can protect eyes from harmful UV rays, listen to a favorite song with built-in stereo earphones, and record a ‘to do’ list, bringing the terms multifunction and multi-tasking to a new, “unheard of” level.

As stylish as it is functional, BMW MP3 Sunwear features a sleek, contemporary look with the BMW roundel logo displayed on each temple. Both models come in black with two spare exchangeable lenses and a BMW carrying case.

The BMW Sunwear features Flash memory with an integrated USB device that can offer a steady stream of tunes in both an MP3 and Windows Media (WMA) format. The 512 MB model holds or stores eight hours of music in the MP3 format, 16 hours in Windows Media and can store up to 36 hours of voice recordings. For those who enjoy extended listening pleasure, the 1 GB model holds or stores 16 hours of music in the MP3 format, 32 hours in WMA format and stores up to 72 hours of voice recordings.

Charging up and downloading data are low maintenance tasks with these hi-tech sunglasses. There’s a USB cable jack on each temple: the left side is for recharging and the right one uploads and downloads data to the BMW MP3 Sunwear. Users can take off on their favorite adventure and move to the latest music hits for up to 15 hours before the lithium battery needs a recharge.

The BMW MP3 Sunwear also records sound in an Adaptive Differential Pulse Code Modulation (ADPCM), a method of encoding sound data that takes up less storage space than the regular PCM format.

Both models are compatible with operating systems for Windows including WIN 98 Second edition, WIN Millennium Edition, WIN 2000 and WIN XP, as well as with Mac operating systems - Mac OS 9.0 or higher and Mac OS X 10.3 or higher.

BMW MP3 Sunwear models have a one-year warranty. They come with operating instructions, and a CD-ROM for easy set up. Two USB extension cables are included for proper uploading/downloading capabilities. The BMW MP3 Sunwear is $295 for the 512 MB model and $395 for the 1GB model, and are available at BMW dealerships,
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2005, 09:27 AM   #30
cdxp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer325iSE
Received a call from my local dealer today (totally out of the blue).
He's been chasing up this MP3 Navi situation since I ordered the car (back in May). Basically he's finally heard back from BMW UK.
Apparently theres gonna be a S/W update which is due to be released sometime in December 05.
I just got the same information today from a dealer - there is definitely a software update in December.... BUT it cannot be confirmed that the MP3 fix for Pro Navi is in the update. They believe it is but last week they believed the problem didnt exist and the week before that they probably believed the earth was flat. My concern reading back through the threads is that its been promised a few times (CIP 19.2 being quoted as an example).

Does your dealer have a list that includes the MP3 fix and can he name a software version ? That would be really good to know if you can get it so we can all go ask for that version or later.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2005, 12:14 PM   #31
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
For the love of God!, when are we going to get our mp3 ability?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2005, 01:02 PM   #32
lxapilot118
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i + SC Mustang

For the record (I've gotten a few emails)...I have a Sept. production US-spec 330i with I-Drive/Nav. I CAN play mp3's with both the cd and dvd drives. The cd player WILL read CD-Rs (as long as they're finalized), the DVD player will read DVD-R's with mp3's on it. MP3's will show the first 8 letters in the list, but will show the ID3 tag when it's the active song playing. Here are a few pics...the only one you can see the MP3's on is the pic driving towards a tunnel (no ID3 tags on the song playing).
http://photos.yahoo.com/afpilot118
      11-23-2005, 09:17 PM   #33
cdxp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Pro-Nav or Bus Navi ? Bus Navi works.

Local dealer finally came through. Current version SW is CIP 19.23 does not support MP3. Version CIP 20 will support MP3 . Expected release date early December 2005 but if it slips a bit will be early January 2006 due to Europe shuts for two weeks at Christmas.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2005, 08:58 AM   #34
axie
Rep
Drives: 325 SE

Upgrade policy

Does BMW try to charge for these software upgrades? My 325 was delivered in March as a dealer demo, and I bought it in October with 6k on the clock. Apart from the MP3 issue, I can't say that there is anything obviously wrong with the software, other than the occasional crash of i-Drive, and a hint of an engine flat-spot (both are known problems reported elsewhere) And, of course, the half-assed Bluetooth support... :-(

a.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2005, 01:22 AM   #35
cdxp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Post Long sorry

Its a good question. If its in warranty you should get it but you'd need a court case to prove it definitively.

If you go to court it tends to lean towards the consumer. People love the little guy.

In practise I think it works that if you dont ask for it you dont get it. Its basically a business decision between how much will it cost to do it against how much legal, bad publicity, cost and lost good faith will the dealer and manufacturer get for not doing it.

If its a recall or retrofit the dealer generally gets comped from the manufacturer, and the dealer will be happy to do it. They will argue about costs of course.
The Manufacturer wants as few of those as possible.
If its not a recall, its normally a negotation between you and the dealer and sometimes the manufacturer to get it done for free, or labour only or something inbetween.

This grey area sucks for everybody because nobody including you wants to pay and all are trying to push the cost to someone else.
They will recall and retrofit anything that is dangerous ( or will cause them a major publicity problem see Sony BMG's recent problems). Anything else will be "on failure" and sometimes rarely "on request". On request is dangerous grounds for them because if you dont know you could argue ethically they should have told you, if they tell you you'd probably request it.

My dealer attitude is leaning towards - you wanted MP3 so bad you should have made it clearer at purchase time and we are doing you a big favour by even talking about this. Nobody else is complaining. You'll get it when it comes.

My argument is your honor

- Its well known that the early releases of new products have defects. However reputable manufacturers fix these without question because they want more consumers to buy new products.
- Its included in the handbook provided with the product
- It was told to me it was full function all format stereo
- cheaper BMW versions in the same model range do include it.
- Its being reported all over the web so dont pretend nobody else cares or knows.
- Its a reasonable expectation that a premium car with a premium sound system will support it.
- every single cd/dvd based device over $150 (and many under) in my local consumer electronics superstore supports it including the cheapest and nastiest car devices.
- In light of reasonable expectations its absence was not advised at purchase time.
- Its a global brand that carries a price premium for claims around advanced engineering and quality

The point i'd make here is this.
One guy makes a fuss he's a sad loser and has to fight for it. 100 people make a fuss its common practise to fix it at service time if you ask. 10000 guys make a fuss its in the papers the stock price is down and you are getting 2 letters. One is the company falling over itself giving you love and telling you when to come in for an upgrade and a corporate blow job freebies. The other is from a lawyer asking you to be part of a class action suit.

Make noise. They will fix it and you will help everyone else get respect when they go in for it. Or they can just give everyone a free Ipod.

Happy thanks giving.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2005, 01:51 PM   #36
mikepinkerton
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

BMW has been very up front about MP3 not working with pro Nav in the E90, it's in all of their brochures and has been for a long time. You don't have much of a leg to stand on, i'm afraid. Just wait it out.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2005, 07:24 PM   #37
cdxp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Not on my part of the world it isnt - i think what happened was they had the new post october brochures and manuals but delivered me a pre-october build car. I guess the brochures get here in 2 weeks by plane and the cars come by boat taking 12 weeks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 04:33 PM   #38
dlk001
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Just got my E90 325 last Friday with Prof Nav and it plays Mp3.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 06:36 PM   #39
Costa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk001
Just got my E90 325 last Friday with Prof Nav and it plays Mp3.
Can you tell us what build week your car is ?
Failing that there should be a build month somewhere on the car (under the bonnet ?).
      11-29-2005, 01:04 AM   #40
shanmand
Rep
Drives: 325i Monaco Blue

My car is week 45 build and it has Prof Nav and it plays MP3s.
Attached Images

Monaco Blue 325i; Beige Interior; Poplar Wood; Professional Navigation; Bluetooth; Lights Package; Electric Sport Seats; Sport Steering; Logic 7; Sunroof; PDC front & rear; Rain Sensor; Bi-Xenon; CD-Changer

Last edited by shanmand; 11-29-2005 at 03:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 01:41 AM   #41
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Excuse me for asking stupid questions, but what does S/W stand for?

And what's this about Business vs Pro-Navi DVD Navigation? I don't recall being able to order one or the other?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 02:27 AM   #42
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
They are talking about system software for the Nav. Cars with nav have not been able to play MP3 CD directly in the US. This feature has been promised since the "september update" but has yet to materialize for those that purchased their cars early on.

You have Professional NAV (US). Other countries have the ability to have Business Nav.(plays video....ahhh!!!) :mad:

which is why you did not have a "choice".
      12-02-2005, 03:12 PM   #43
tirtaps
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d e92

Garage List
2008 335D e92  [0.00]
2005 330d  [0.00]
shanmand> I ve got my car today, mp3 titles are bizarre and truncated, how you do to have full titles ?

thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2005, 06:37 PM   #44
cdxp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
Excuse me for asking stupid questions, but what does S/W stand for?

And what's this about Business vs Pro-Navi DVD Navigation? I don't recall being able to order one or the other?
Different markets rate different features more. Like on the equator we dont care about heated seats or sun roofs (sun is always overhead and mosquitos) and we dont understand the american obssession with cupholders :-) So they need other ways to differentiate the models

In some territories there are two type of Navi systems
Business Navigation is lower cost has a smaller screen and doesnt (as far as i read) show maps when you are driving - just directions. It does however play MP3 . Its bundled into some of the 320 model packages in some countries.

The Professional Navigation has a larger screen and does show maps and directions and has a (wow) an AM band radio as well as FM
In pre september 05 versions the software is broken and does not play MP3 ! Its bundled into the 325i in some territories

Last edited by cdxp; 12-06-2005 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: spelling !
Appreciate 0