BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-08-2013, 03:59 AM   #23
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boring

The lease turn-in manager at my dealer told me they can't CPO a car that has had Dinan software. I'm not sure if that's a BMW NA thing, or just a dealership policy.

I agree about the rear bumper...not cool. I would ask them to replace the cover.

For some reason, I'm not comfortable buying a used FI car, especially one that had aftermarket software. But, I guess if the price is right....
Previous - 2010 e90 335i (N54) - BSM, 6AT, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Hi-Fi, Nav, BMW PPK & PE, Dinan S2
Previous - 2007 e90 335i (N54) - BSM, 6AT, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Hi-Fi
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #24
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJx View Post
Yeah, we all start off with a list features that are "must haves" on a vehicle when we begin our search... then usually start to settle from there. However, it's an amazing feeling once you find a car (at a reasonable price) that has everything you were looking for AND is in great mechanical/physical condition.

My favorite BMW color option was Sparkling Graphite (kind of a dark-ish Metallic Gray). I owned a E46 330ci in that color prior to my 135i and constantly received compliments on the car. Took me 2 months to find the exact color that I wanted with all the options I had been looking for... Only thing I didn't really like about it was the interior wood trim (not my personal preference), but that was always removable / swap-able.

Stuff like "high mileage" and "bumper holes" can't be swapped though... well, not with ease at least.
I love the BMW topaz blue metallic....my E46 was that color and it got a ton of compliments. They don't make a 1er in that color, but some of the blues are pretty damn close. I would honestly prefer a blue or the dark gray for the 1er, but black works. One thing I thought of this morning was that even if I can get past the bumper holes, I have to think about when I eventually sell the car.....it'll be an issue, I would imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler9595 View Post
The lease turn-in manager at my dealer told me they can't CPO a car that has had Dinan software. I'm not sure if that's a BMW NA thing, or just a dealership policy.

I agree about the rear bumper...not cool. I would ask them to replace the cover.

For some reason, I'm not comfortable buying a used FI car, especially one that had aftermarket software. But, I guess if the price is right....
I don't really find much issue with buying a used FI car....I've owned a used Evo VIII and my current Mazdaspeed 6, both FI, both used and both have been super reliable.

This is the 2nd 135i I've looked at in the past year, so I think I'll continue my search until I find a better example.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #25
phobic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea6speed View Post
Still a good deal. I'd be srsly jealous if it was CPO a that price.
I wish it was CPO, would love that extended warranty!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #26
1addyfan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i Vert ///M-Sport 6 M-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by other_evolved View Post
I have to think about when I eventually sell the car.....it'll be an issue, I would imagine.
Oh... you better believe it will be a problem.

The reaction from some of the members here should clue you in to just how most buyers would feel about that. I wouldn't even drive 3 blocks to see a car that had such an obvious blemish, tbh. I've heard of people searching for SUV's / station wagons with roof racks to put their bikes on... but I've never heard of anybody calling up a dealership and asking... "Hey do you have any BMW's... with bumper holes? I need one."

Pass...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #27
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...odyStyleCodes=

Any clue why this one is so cheap? Carfax looks to be clean.....
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #28
phobic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

no added packages probably.

edit: looks like it has a few added packages actually... most likely the dealer doesnt know what value the packages add or which packages are there. Id say go take a look at it. looks nice.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #29
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobic View Post
no added packages probably.

edit: looks like it has a few added packages actually... most likely the dealer doesnt know what value the packages add or which packages are there. Id say go take a look at it. looks nice.
So far I'm spying:

M-Sport Package
Navigation Package
Boston Leather
Comfort Access

And an aftermarket exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #30
neglectedX5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i/90 325i/02 M5/12 X5

Well i got my 08 135i in March with 524xx miles, AFE intake, Procede tuner, BMW PSK, carbon fiber trunk spoiler a spare set of 17" rims and winter tires for $20814. The only thing it has needed so far is spark plugs.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #31
sea6speed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335i Msport 6M / E34 535i

Quote:
So far I'm spying:

M-Sport Package
Navigation Package
Boston Leather
Comfort Access

And an aftermarket exhaust?
I'm going to say it's the weird (lemon yellow? why?!?) color combo, lack of premium package, and that it's 2 weeks away from expiration of the factory warranty. Also, > 1 year owners are suspicious - higher probability that the vehicle had a problem or unreported accident in my experience. Doesn't appear to have comfort access either, unless the option code was different in '09.

If you haven't used the VIN decoder, it's really useful for figuring out what's on the car.

http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/

Last edited by sea6speed; 05-10-2013 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #32
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm going to say it's the weird (lemon yellow? why?!?) color combo, lack of premium package, and that it's 2 weeks away from expiration of the factory warranty. Also, > 1 year owners are suspicious - higher probability that the vehicle had a problem or unreported accident in my experience. Doesn't appear to have comfort access either, unless the option code was different in '09.

If you haven't used the VIN decoder, it's really useful for figuring out what's on the car.

That site doesn't seem to be working for me

I've entered about 6 or 7 vin's and each one says no results.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #33
sea6speed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That site doesn't seem to be working for me

I've entered about 6 or 7 vin's and each one says no results.
Last 7 digits only - sometimes it returns no results for no apparent reason, but it works about 90% of the time. Here's the results on the car you linked to:

Vehicle information
Type

Value
VIN WBAUC73559VK80505
Type code UC73
Type 135IS (USA)
E series E82 ()
Series 1
Type COUPE
Steering LL
Doors 2
Engine N54
Displacement 3.00
Power 225
Drive HECK
Transmission MECH
Colour BLUEWATER METALLIC (896)
Upholstery LEDER BOSTON 2/B7 LEMON (LWB7)
Prod.date 2009-04-29

Close Options
Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)
S1CAA SELEKTION COP RELEVANTER FAHRZEUGE Selection of COP relevant vehicles
S249A MULITFUNKTION FUER LENKRAD Multifunction f steering wheel
S2MRA M LM RAEDER DOPPELSP. 261 M / MB BMW LA wheel, dual spoke 261
S2VBA REIFENDRUCKANZEIGE Tire pressure display
P337A M SPORTPAKET M Sports package
S403A GLASDACH, ELEKTRISCH Glass roof, electrical
S441A RAUCHERPAKET Smoker package
S442A GETRAENKEHALTER Cup holder
S481A SPORTSITZE FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER Sports seat
S4ASA EDELHOLZAUSF. PAPPEL MASER GRAU Fine-wood trim poplar grain grey
S502A SCHEINWERFER-WASCHANLAGE Headlight cleaning system
S521A REGENSENSOR Rain sensor
S522A XENON-LICHT Xenon Light
S524A ADAPTIVES KURVENLICHT Adaptive Headlights
S534A KLIMAAUTOMATIK Automatic air conditioning
Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)
S540A GESCHWINDIGKEITSREGELUNG Cruise control
S570A STAERKERE STROMVERSORGUNG Reinforced power supply
S609A NAVIGATIONSSYSTEM PROFESSIONAL Navigation system Professional
S620A SPRACHEINGABESYSTEM Voice control
S653A HIGH DEFINITION RADIO High Definition Radio
S676A HIFI LAUTSPRECHERSYSTEM HiFi speaker system
S693A SATELLITENTUNER VORBEREITUNG Preparation BMW satellite radio
S697A AREA-CODE 1 Area-Code 1 for DVD
S6FLA USB-AUDIO-SCHNITTSTELLE USB/Audio interface
S6UHA TRAFFIC INFORMATION Traffic Information
S710A M LEDERLENKRAD M leather steering wheel
S760A INDIVIDUAL HOCHGLANZ SHADOW LINE High gloss shadow line
S775A INDIVIDUAL DACHHIMMEL ANTHRAZIT Headlining anthracite
S840A HOCHGESCHWINDIGKEITSABSTIMMUNG High speed synchronisation
S8SCA LAENDERSPEZ. TELESERVICEFREISCH. Telematics access request,country-spec.
Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)
S8SPA COP STEUERUNG Control unit COP
S925A VERSANDSCHUTZPAKET Transport protection package

Close Standard equipment
Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)
S321A EXTERIEURUMFAENGE IN WAGENFARBE Exterior parts in vehicle color
S473A ARMAUFLAGE VORN Armrest front
S645A RADIO-STEUERUNG US BMW US Radio
S704A M SPORTFAHRWERK M Sports suspension
S823A HEISSLAND-AUSFUEHRUNG Hot-climate version
S845A AKUSTISCHE GURTWARNUNG Acoustic belt warning
S850A ZUSAETZL. TANKFUELLUNG EXPORT Additional Export tank filling
S853A SPRACHVERSION ENGLISCH Language version English
S876A FUNKFREQUENZ 315 MHZ Radio frequency 315 MHz
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #34
phobic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

site worked for me too.

I was wondering how to do this. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #35
1addyfan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the link Sea6... That will come in very handy for me. Didn't know there was a way to decode BMW vins and see what packages/options were included with the car.

Cool.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #36
kits135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Coming Soon

That site is bad a... Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #37
1addyfan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...odyStyleCodes=

Any clue why this one is so cheap? Carfax looks to be clean.....
Well, for starters... strange color combinations tend to sell for a lot less. A teal Green BMW with orange interior will always go for less than a Gray with Black interior would. That Blue/Lemon combo is just a harder sell... but for the right buyer, it's a good find.

Warranty is also about to expire, but that's probably no different than most 09's on the market today (...although I got lucky, because my '09 wasn't placed "in service" until 2010, so my warranty doesn't expire until some time in 2014.)

2-owner vehicles also tend to be priced for less. With the addition of each owner, the cars value goes down a bit (in the eyes of a dealer/buyer at least). First owner was also a "commercial" owner, instead of private... so who knows what the car was used for. Running errands? Delivering packages? Picking up prostitutes? lol Who knows... I'd get the car checked out by a mechanic and if they gave the thumbs up, then fine. I'd also check with the Dealer to see if you can get any previous service history on the car (if possible)... even if it's just a quick peak.

Car seems to be mostly stock, which is good. Windows are also tinted... that may or may not be a problem for some people. Has some pretty good features, like the Msport and other options included. No comfort access? Not really a deal breaker imo.

Overall, it looks like a good deal if the color works for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #38
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

AJx, all great points

The color would take some getting, err, used to. Particularly the interior. The exterior is nice, but would be heaps better with a black leather interior.

For any of you who have dealt with CPO cars, how flexible are the dealers on price typically? I found a 2011 SGM, manual, boston leather, m-sport, HK and value package with 35k miles.....FS price is $31,200. I was thinking of shooting with $27kish and see what ends up.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 01:59 AM   #39
sea6speed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
AJx, all great points

The color would take some getting, err, used to. Particularly the interior. The exterior is nice, but would be heaps better with a black leather interior.

For any of you who have dealt with CPO cars, how flexible are the dealers on price typically? I found a 2011 SGM, manual, boston leather, m-sport, HK and value package with 35k miles.....FS price is $31,200. I was thinking of shooting with $27kish and see what ends up.
Sounds like an odd combination if it's lacking premium, comfort and nav. If that's really the case, you can probably get them to drop around $2K, maybe a bit more if it has condition issues or has been sitting a while.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 05:11 AM   #40
cwg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP. AZB on black

I have a 2011 135i. With about 24k miles comes off lease in November. Current pay off is just under 30k. Residual in November is about 26K. Black on Black leather. Hk, Premium, sport and comfort pkgs with DCT and BMW PE. So that gives you an idea of the residual values. Not sure how it works between BMW financial and the dealer on the cost of lease returns. But they have to deal with the residual values in some way.

I had the dealer install the BMW Performance suspension and power kit. Car is very sweet. I have an M3 on order. Expected to arrive end of June. It will be a great car for someone looking for a used 135i
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #41
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like an odd combination if it's lacking premium, comfort and nav. If that's really the case, you can probably get them to drop around $2K, maybe a bit more if it has condition issues or has been sitting a while.
The dealer went down to $30,4xx without me really asking, which I thought was odd. I have yet to respond. I don't really care about nav, but do premium and comfort really make a big difference?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #42
sea6speed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The dealer went down to $30,4xx without me really asking, which I thought was odd. I have yet to respond. I don't really care about nav, but do premium and comfort really make a big difference?
I recall them being a major sales point on the 3, so I'd expect the dealer to view the car as harder to sell without them. (this is more of a guess) Personally, I really prefer the power adjustable seats and full auto dimming mirrors from premium, and the keyless entry and PDC from convenience (err- thought this one was called comfort, but apparently not). I could do without them, but I also don't use this car as a DD.

FYI - the CPO financing incentives through BMWFS improved this month. 2011 1's had nothing good last month, now they have both 0.9% and 2 payment credits, so that could be another $1K off the purchase price.

Last edited by sea6speed; 05-14-2013 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #43
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I was soooo close to finding "the" car TWO times within the past 24 hours from the same dealer in Plano, TX. While I was emailing/calling back and forth with the salesman both cars were sold

One was a CPO and the other non, but both were great.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #44
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Am I way over paying?

2008 AW 135i, every option, terra leather, 6 spd., dealer serviced, newer VANOS (warrantied), BMW performance exhaust, came off CPO last month, 2 owner. 55k miles.

Car is pretty perfect.

$22k looks like the lowest he'll go.

What say you addicts?
Appreciate 0