BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
heroyo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i 6MT

Does the BMS modified clutch valve really extend the life of the clutch?

I am not sure if I am posting in the right section but here it is, I have been reading good reviews about the day and night difference with the BMS modified clutch valve (CDV?) but does it really extend the life of the clutch as advertised on the description? I can only imagine fully engaging the clutch would create more wear to it if anything. I don't understand the engineering of it, would anyone be able to answer this?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
Fume
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

The whole point of the CDV is to keep transmission safe by slowing down how fast the clutch can engage. However, this adds more wear on the clutch. If the BMS modified clutch valve doesn't have as small of a restriction (i.e. acts like a CDV delete), then it should (theoretically) improve clutch life.

New Car: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS | Stock for now
Old Car: 2013 BMW 128i | 6MT | BMW Performance Grills | CDV Delete | SSK | Performance Exhaust | M3 RSFB | TCKR DA

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
heroyo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fume
The whole point of the CDV is to keep transmission safe by slowing down how fast the clutch can engage. However, this adds more wear on the clutch. If the BMS modified clutch valve doesn't have as small of a restriction (i.e. acts like a CDV delete), then it should (theoretically) improve clutch life.
I'm sorry if I'm not comprehending this correctly, but are you saying that the stock CDV puts more wear onto the clutch even though it slows down the engagement of the clutch and that a CDV delete will improve the clutch life better than the BMS modified CDV?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #4
SayHack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
^^^ yes because your clutch would grind more as it completely engages slowly, instead of faster engagement.....its kind of like if you are driving lets say 50mph and you want to do a complete stop. Option A is you slowly brake (lets say for 10 seconds duration) till you completely stop. or Option B would be a much hard braking (lets say 3 seconds duration)...so in this case your brake pads would wear off more in Option A braking as opposed to Option B braking....lol, i hope that make sense.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Theoretically yes but if you still shift like a noob, then no lol.
      04-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
heroyo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayHack View Post
^^^ yes because your clutch would grind more as it completely engages slowly, instead of faster engagement.....its kind of like if you are driving lets say 50mph and you want to do a complete stop. Option A is you slowly brake (lets say for 10 seconds duration) till you completely stop. or Option B would be a much hard braking (lets say 3 seconds duration)...so in this case your brake pads would wear off more in Option A braking as opposed to Option B braking....lol, i hope that make sense.
I get what you are saying but I believe that harder braking will cause more wear to the pads, calipers and rotors than slow braking, grinding a tiny bit of pad material off. But in the case of clutch engagement, we stop putting wear on the clutch as soon as it fully engages versus slowly grinding it. Thanks for making me think on a Friday. Lol I am just kidding but yeah I really appreciate the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Theoretically yes but if you still shift like a noob, then no lol.
I am no pro but definitely not a noob, I would say lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 10:40 PM   #7
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Less slip is going to give you less wear. CDV delete was the best thing I ever did to this car. Stock setup was the worst clutch engagement I have experienced in 40+ years of driving manual trans. cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #8
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olgeezer1 View Post
Less slip is going to give you less wear. CDV delete was the best thing I ever did to this car. Stock setup was the worst clutch engagement I have experienced in 40+ years of driving manual trans. cars.
Agreed!

CDV delete + Clutch stop = .............. a normal manual transmission driving experience!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Reduces clutch wear, but at the expense of drivetrain wear if you aren't the best manual driver.

It exists for a reason.