BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #1
rt31301
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Convertible Top not locked/fix the chime?

Hi all, I’m new here and also looking for help. I have an 08 135i, and had to manually close the top by pulling the cables.

I have the top up, closed and “locked” using an Allen key where the top meets the windshield. My cables too are still pulled out and have not “sucked” back in. While I can live with that at the time being, I can’t drive the car past 30mph because it pings and has an alert saying “convertible top not locked” on my I drive screen.

For sure it’s locked as I did that manually but to buy myself time until I can get to a dealer, how/what do I need to do or check to get that alert off the screen so I can resume regular driving without the car constantly pinging needs at 30mph+ speed?

Is there a sensor I need to fix, some mechanical button hidden somewhere that isn’t pressed down causing the car to think it isn’t locked? I tried looking for diagrams that would be helpful in locating a sensor, couldn’t find any worth mentioning.

Please help, thanks all and be safe during this time.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 05:19 PM   #2
Edrift
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E88

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt31301 View Post
Hi all, I’m new here and also looking for help. I have an 08 135i, and had to manually close the top by pulling the cables.

I have the top up, closed and “locked” using an Allen key where the top meets the windshield. My cables too are still pulled out and have not “sucked” back in. While I can live with that at the time being, I can’t drive the car past 30mph because it pings and has an alert saying “convertible top not locked” on my I drive screen.

For sure it’s locked as I did that manually but to buy myself time until I can get to a dealer, how/what do I need to do or check to get that alert off the screen so I can resume regular driving without the car constantly pinging needs at 30mph+ speed?

Is there a sensor I need to fix, some mechanical button hidden somewhere that isn’t pressed down causing the car to think it isn’t locked? I tried looking for diagrams that would be helpful in locating a sensor, couldn’t find any worth mentioning.

Please help, thanks all and be safe during this time.

From memory you can code this out our at least a workaround. I recall seeing the speed defined when using the bwm tools to code my auto folding mirrors when locking the car.

Just remember to code this back as it's there for a reason. You wouldn't want to be doing 100kph whilst operating the roof.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 05:52 PM   #3
rt31301
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

thanks for that, ill take a look into that
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 12:40 AM   #4
Ultraman-X
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i E88 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt31301 View Post
thanks for that, ill take a look into that
Any update how you fixed this, I have the same issue. Pulled the chords in the back now I get a flashing light when pressing the open top button. Reading the codes it states the rear -lid-sensor unlocked (Sensor #10) , but I cannot find a procedure how to re-lock the convertible cover lid . -Thanks-
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 05:41 PM   #5
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Try a couple of window open/close cycles. Wait like 10 min come back see if you can fet the top working again. I did this a few months back when I was getting the same error and it worked. Good luck.
Appreciate 0