BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #23
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

I've been looking for a spoiler and wouldn't mind saving a few $$ over oem, but in a couple of pictures it looks like you have a decent sized gap between the leading edge of the spoiler and the trunk surface. I thought I also noticed that in the for sale photos from JB also.

Is it as bad in person? Also, do you think it might be because of the 3m tape underneath or the overall shape of the part?

I've seen some oem ones and they seem to fit water tight st the edge.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #24
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Still waiting for my spoiler. I PM'd them early last week, they said it would ship late last week, or early this week. It's mid week, and they have not responded to the PM I sent on Tuesday.

Not happy. Sure would love to get the spoiler I paid for over a month and a half ago.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #25
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i - DCT - N55

It is worthpaying the extra $$$ for the OEM ones, fitment is spot on and quality is 100%.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #26
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
Still waiting for my spoiler. I PM'd them early last week, they said it would ship late last week, or early this week. It's mid week, and they have not responded to the PM I sent on Tuesday.

Not happy. Sure would love to get the spoiler I paid for over a month and a half ago.
Most likely these spoilers are made in China and they ran out of stock here in the U.S. So a new crate filled with them and other parts has to arrive first. Which is why Chinese stuff is usually not so good quality / takes a while.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #27
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-2MANY View Post
Just got a painted one from them. I'll take some pics of the paint quality/ fitment as well. Greenkirby21, what type of alcohol did you use to prep? Thanks
how was the paint quality and fitment? I am potentially going to get one in AW
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #28
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie135 View Post
It is worthpaying the extra $$$ for the OEM ones, fitment is spot on and quality is 100%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
I've been looking for a spoiler and wouldn't mind saving a few $$ over oem, but in a couple of pictures it looks like you have a decent sized gap between the leading edge of the spoiler and the trunk surface. I thought I also noticed that in the for sale photos from JB also.

Is it as bad in person? Also, do you think it might be because of the 3m tape underneath or the overall shape of the part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
how was the paint quality and fitment? I am potentially going to get one in AW
The only potential downside is "yellowing" of the clear coat over time. OEM you can guarantee that it won't yellow.
      02-23-2012, 05:29 AM   #29
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

Just got an email saying the spoiler is shipped. I'll post pics of the part and install.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #30
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post

can't see it in person unless u look at it from a weird angle(I.E open the trunk).
I think the reason is because it needs more tape? There is no double sided tape on the corners, so I think that is why it lifts up because its not as level.

So far, it has been good and stuck. i should clean it as it is a bit dirty right now hehe
      02-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #31
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

I finally recieved my JBspped rear trunk spoiler. It looks good, quality and finish look good. No "holidays", or clear spots visible when held up to the light.

The front edge is a little warbly, but if the adhesive does it's job and holds the front edge firmly to the trunk, it should be fine.

I know the stock, and most aftermarket spoilers are held on with double sided adhesive tape usually. I am wondering if a rubber type glue can be used?

She Goo, and "Amazing Goop" basically the same thing as Shoe Goo, are rubber based glues. I have used these glues for many things, and they are amazing glues.

I've thinned them out with Toluene, which i believe is the solvent agent in these glues, and I'm wondering, if I use Amazing Goop to install my new spoiler, does anyone think that the solvent might affect the paint?
Gasoline has toluene in it, and drops of gas from the gas pump don't seem to affect the paint, but the glue would have the solvent in contact with the paint for a longer time until the glue cures.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #32
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I finally recieved my JBspped rear trunk spoiler. It looks good, quality and finish look good. No "holidays", or clear spots visible when held up to the light.

The front edge is a little warbly, but if the adhesive does it's job and holds the front edge firmly to the trunk, it should be fine.

I know the stock, and most aftermarket spoilers are held on with double sided adhesive tape usually. I am wondering if a rubber type glue can be used?

She Goo, and "Amazing Goop" basically the same thing as Shoe Goo, are rubber based glues. I have used these glues for many things, and they are amazing glues.

I've thinned them out with Toluene, which i believe is the solvent agent in these glues, and I'm wondering, if I use Amazing Goop to install my new spoiler, does anyone think that the solvent might affect the paint?
Gasoline has toluene in it, and drops of gas from the gas pump don't seem to affect the paint, but the glue would have the solvent in contact with the paint for a longer time until the glue cures.
If you want to use glue, then I would use the OEM betalink that they use to put on the OEM performance spoiler.

http://www.unitedbmwonline.com/bmw-a...r-spoiler.html
      02-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #33
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
If you want to use glue, then I would use the OEM betalink that they use to put on the OEM performance spoiler.

http://www.unitedbmwonline.com/bmw-a...r-spoiler.html
This stuff is permanent. Once it dries it will not come off without screwing up your paint.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #34
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

I'm going to do a test of the Goop glue on some inconspicuous spot and see if it affects the paint. One good thing about Goop is that it can be undone with a dab of toluene.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #35
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

I am in the process of trying to install my JBspeed rear wing.

The fit is OK. The wing doesn't just "fit", as it needs to be tweeked at the edges for them to stay down and flat.

The double sided tape sticks with authority on the smooth rear contact area of the wing, but the front area is rough, and I'm not sure if the tape will be able to hold the tips/edges down. The way the wing fits, the tips will be under tension, and I fear that they'll lift up once the car is exposed to the sun/heat.

At this point, I am tempted to use the glue, instead of just the supplied double-sided tape.

I'm going to test the GOOP glue, and if it doesn't hurt the paint, I'll use it on the front edges and tips.

Once i figure this issue out, the wing looks like it should fit well and look good.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #36
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

Wing install complete. I set the wing on the trunk outside, in the sunlight, and it softened and was easier to flex it and get it to fit nicely.

Overall, the fit is good, looks great, I am happy with this purchase.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #37
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

congrats
      08-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #38
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Melbourne Red

Quote:
Wing install complete. I set the wing on the trunk outside, in the sunlight, and it softened and was easier to flex it and get it to fit nicely.

Overall, the fit is good, looks great, I am happy with this purchase.
So what was the final decision? You used "goop" glue to apply the spoiler?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #39
Chazzyfizzle
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Thanks for the review. I ordered one for my Le Mans Blue 128. Just installed it. Very sturdy and looks great!
Appreciate 0