BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Thumbs up JBSPEED E82 Carbon Fiber Spoiler Review!(Updated with install pics)

Edit2: Here are some final installation pictures. It has been raining all week so sorry no outside pics. Also, I have fingerprints all over my spoiler from when I installed it. I should clean it soon.

Side Shot:

Top:

From the top and side it seems fine

but I think I messed up on installing it. It is very sturdy so right now I am not going to change anything, but you can see some tape left over. I should have installed it sideways then downwards, instead I just kinda placed it x_x.

Edit: Added installation instructions. go down to the bottom to see : )

Note*: I have not installed it yet. All these pictures are from when I just placed it on the car. Since its my christmas present I have to wait until then : <.

The Good:

Price: Was 175$ when I bought it. The lowest price I have ever been able to find for the E82 carbon fiber spoiler.

Packaging: Was not damaged at all. The spoiler was wrapped in soft wrapping. Then it was enclosed in plastic, and finally put inside a smaller box then a larger one.

Super Fast Shipping: Seeing how this company is based in Taiwan, I bought it on a Sunday, was processed on Monday, and at my door 4 days later. It was originally scheduled to arrive the next week on Monday, but to my surprise it came super early(Friday)!!

Fitment: Fitment is perfect. While I have not installed it in my car yet, I just "layed it on top" and it was completely flush except for in the middle there is a < 1 mm gap. Once the tape is on, it will be on perfectttt : ). Amazing fitment. Comes with 3M tape on it already

In the pictures, I just placed the spoiler on my trunk. It was not attached yet it was flush .

Size: It is the same size as OEM performance BMW spoiler. Looks exactly the same as it. Nothing different.

Weight: Very light weight. Although this is not the newer dry vacuum carbon fiber spoiler, it literally weighs nothing. I can carry it with 1 finger.

The Good/Bad xD

The "normal" part of the spoiler, very good quality.

Quality: This is where it is a bit fishy. I originally asked them for pictures of their product. They told me they had none. I decided to order it anyways, and lo and behold, as soon as I ordered it, they were able to take pictures the next day. I am pretty sure in the pictures that is my spoiler xD. Not that it really matters. I guess I am the guinnea pig

Anyways, the quality is weird. I have never seen this problem before, even though they told me it is normal for carbon fiber products. The part where the spoiler attaches to the body has small defects(holes) from imperfections in the weave. It seems like the layer is single and thin that light can go through. It is only where the spoiler ATTACHES to the body. As you can see in the picture, it only occurs in a small portion(the right side). The actual spoiler itself is unaffected by this defect.

Under Light:

Under normal indoors:

The rest of the spoiler is almost perfect. It has multiple layers so the issue does not exist. I am no expert, but the weave looks great to me. It is very glossy and light.

The holes CANNOT be seen once the spoiler is on the car. You can only see them if you hold it in your hand and place it against the light.

Also, even though I am calling them holes, they are not really holes. You cannot feel them in any way. The surface is completely smooth and clean.

Once placed on the car, the holes disappear : )

Overall: I give this product a 4/5. Obviously, for the price, one does not expect the perfection of the OEM BMW CF Spoiler. However, for the price, you get exceptionally fast and good customer service. They were always friendly and responded to me PM at all times during the day.

Only small issue I had was with the holes, but they offered me a refund and were nice about it. I declined, because as I said, it cannot be seen once in the car. You can't even really see it in person. I only saw it because it was such a bright day and I held it against the window.

if you have any questions lemme know.

Thread where I bought it.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617837

EDIT: Installation

Okay, finally got time to install it. I followed the instructions from this guy
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607510

Step 1: Wash car

Step 2: Use alcohol to clean any debris/the clear coat to allow bonding.

Step 3: Heat the tape/car using your sisters blow dryer. It shouldn't take long at all. This is my first time blow drying something

Step 4: Attach spoiler. Be very careful as it is very sticky. Have a friend help you. I tried to do it by myself and it was a bit crooked so I quickly removed it and re attached it. Fit is amazing.

I used painters tape to hold it down. The corners do not stick up at all but I decided to tape it anywho like the guy did in his tutorial.

I was also too lazy to push it down so I just placed some coke cans to give it pressure. I did not put the coke down on the spoiler itself!! I just placed them where the spoiler is FLAT with the surface.

Right Side Spot on Great Fitment:

Left Side Spot on Great Fitment:

Last edited by Greenkirby21; 12-26-2011 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: added pics
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

thats pretty good. other vendors spoiler lifts at the end.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
They are right about this being common in certain CF products. Lower quality carbon ones. I know of an iCarbon trunk that I saw in person recently where you can see through the trunk if you open it against the sunlight and look through the bump stops / other holes and you can see the sunlight just like your pictures. My SLeK trunk doesn't do that but then also the SLeK stuff is made in the U.S. and costs more.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
Mister RK
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I'm glad it's a positive review. Just bought one a few days ago and there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I'll be able to wait until Christmas for the installation. I also bought a set of pedals from them a few weeks ago and they were great quality and fitment.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 12:08 AM   #5
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister RK View Post
I'm glad it's a positive review. Just bought one a few days ago and there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I'll be able to wait until Christmas for the installation. I also bought a set of pedals from them a few weeks ago and they were great quality and fitment.
cool let me know how it goes : ). I am curious if yours will have holes as well xD
      12-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
hyper1
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013, Z4/28

pin holes

I had the same issue with Icarbon diffuser.
I just sprayed black paint inside.

That spoiler look good. (what is the price)

hyper1
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Thats a really great price for that piece!

The iCarbon front lip had that see-thru issue too, but thats because it was a single layer.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Great write up.... for the price you can't go wrong.. and honestly almost everything is made in asia somewhere or another now adays (based on the economy) and I think they try to provide the best quality their cost can afford.. with our cars being uncommon vs the general population of automobiles mods tend to cost more so any alternate options are always welcome.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Yah thats the only issue is that the weave wasn't pulled tight enough when going through the process. But I mean from the looks of it you wouldn't tell when its finally installed
      12-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #10
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Looks great for the price! Update us on how it wears over time, especially if it yellows. I got a spoiler from "******" for a little less than what you paid, but this was years ago. In a few months it yellowed, and now it looks just plain fugly. Too lazy to take it off.. but hey.. under 150 bucks for carbon fiber, what are you gonna do? I think ****** got booted out of the CF business eventually for crap products. If you're worried about yellowing, it's usually from UV Damage, so I started applying generous amounts of synthetic wax with UV protection on my CF parts. Mother's FX SynWax has been good so far.

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #11
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Looks great for the price! Update us on how it wears over time, especially if it yellows. I got a spoiler from "******" for a little less than what you paid, but this was years ago. In a few months it yellowed, and now it looks just plain fugly. Too lazy to take it off.. but hey.. under 150 bucks for carbon fiber, what are you gonna do? I think ****** got booted out of the CF business eventually for crap products. If you're worried about yellowing, it's usually from UV Damage, so I started applying generous amounts of synthetic wax with UV protection on my CF parts. Mother's FX SynWax has been good so far.
Ya, I asked them for sure. My car is parked outside. I told them before hand that this. They said it has a special UV coating and won't fade for 3-5 years.
      12-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #12
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

added installation pics + tips on bottom of first post : )
      12-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #13
dcho
Captain
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

thats great news for the price! i believe my icarbon one had little "holes" in it too. congrats
      12-25-2011, 02:35 AM   #14
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Great write up. Gonna be looking into this as the new year starts.
      12-26-2011, 04:37 PM   #15
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

added final pictures. I messed up a bit during the installation I think, but you can't tell unless you look under the spoiler very hard and its sturdy as a rock so I will leave it how it is : )
      12-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #16
1-2MANY
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Just got a painted one from them. I'll take some pics of the paint quality/ fitment as well. Greenkirby21, what type of alcohol did you use to prep? Thanks

Last edited by 1-2MANY; 12-27-2011 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #17
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-2MANY View Post
Just got a painted one from them. I'll take some pics of the paint quality/ fitment as well. Greenkirby21, what type of alcohol did you use to prep? Thanks
Just some alcohol wipes. I believe it was 60% xD
      01-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #18
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I just ordered my JBspeed rear trunk spoiler for my 135i. I look forward to installing it.

So far, cosmetically, I have the plastic front splitters, carbon diffuser, wheels/tires/lowered, and soon this rear spoiler.

The last thing I think will be window tinting, then my car will be finished!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 02:26 AM   #19
ChuckD05
NeedsMoarBoost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i / 06 e90 325xi

Garage List
pictures from far away? standing behind and from the side...

so many companies sell products like these and only post closeup like you did, its hard to get a good idea of how it looks that way
      02-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #20
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

I ordered my spoiler a month ago. I read about this spoiler before I ordered, and it seemed like everyone else got their parts fairly quickly.

When I contacted JBspeed, they said I can send payment, and they didn't say anything about any delays, so I assumed the part was in stock.
They Have responded to my PM's, which I appreciate, but if I had known it would take over a month, it might have affected my decision to order the part. Now, I still would prefer to get the spoiler over a refund.

I really would love to get my spoiler and install it. I'll post pics once I recieve it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 12:30 AM   #21
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I ordered my spoiler a month ago. I read about this spoiler before I ordered, and it seemed like everyone else got their parts fairly quickly.

When I contacted JBspeed, they said I can send payment, and they didn't say anything about any delays, so I assumed the part was in stock.
They Have responded to my PM's, which I appreciate, but if I had known it would take over a month, it might have affected my decision to order the part. Now, I still would prefer to get the spoiler over a refund.

I really would love to get my spoiler and install it. I'll post pics once I recieve it.
o wow that sucks. maybe they should give u a discount or something. I am guessing they had some in stock when I bought it, because it shipped the next day and i got it 3 days later. sucks they dont have any

as for an update, everything is great. It seems to be holding on well with the tape. Still glossy and looks like when I bought it. When i took in my car for service, they said the bmw performance spoiler looks great on my car. to their surprise, I don't have the BMW performance spoiler
      02-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #22
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

I PM'd them again, and they said it would ship late this week, or early next week.

Yeah, I'm bummed I have to wait, but I do appreciate their responding quickly to PM's.
Appreciate 0