BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #67
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Just peeked in after a small absence! Am loving this thread! Great to see more foodies - we really do share a lot of things on this forum!

Raihax, nice thread mate - really good effort on the recipe. I don't eat pork but it sounds delicious!

Honny, mate I'm definitely visiting you on my next Perth trip! You must do amazingly well with the ladies. My juvenile efforts were a success mostly, but your's would just be great!

I too love to don an apron and get my creativity going. Not really into recipes - just like to see what happens. I also love my Electrolux BBQ - clean design and awesome utility

Been using a tagine a lot again lately - used extensively in uni. You can really churn out some amazing stuff and all the flavour is preserved so nicely while maintaining the tenderness of the meat you use.

Another personal is, wrapping up a fresh fish fillet in foil with a bit of butter/evoo, coriander and a fresh chillie. On the BBQ for 10-15 and oh man!
      03-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #68
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Just peeked in after a small absence! Am loving this thread! Great to see more foodies - we really do share a lot of things on this forum!

Raihax, nice thread mate - really good effort on the recipe. I don't eat pork but it sounds delicious!

Honny, mate I'm definitely visiting you on my next Perth trip! You must do amazingly well with the ladies. My juvenile efforts were a success mostly, but your's would just be great!

I too love to don an apron and get my creativity going. Not really into recipes - just like to see what happens. I also love my Electrolux BBQ - clean design and awesome utility

Been using a tagine a lot again lately - used extensively in uni. You can really churn out some amazing stuff and all the flavour is preserved so nicely while maintaining the tenderness of the meat you use.

Another personal is, wrapping up a fresh fish fillet in foil with a bit of butter/evoo, coriander and a fresh chillie. On the BBQ for 10-15 and oh man!
Thanks mate - I love food! I am always in a constant battle keeping my weight down due to my love affair

btw is this what you are referring to ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tajine

very interesting if so.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #69
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

That's the one Raihax. The one in the main picture is the traditional porous clay. They are really great as they absorb flavour and after a few years they deliver their own distinct flavour to the dish, even without spices. I've had one for a few years and it's still nowhere near that stage though. They can however be a little harder to look after - need to soak it for 24 hours every couple of month and also soak it for 30 mins and air-dry before each use.

The new ceramic ones are a great alternative. They provide the same cooking effect without the care instructions. Obviously you forgo the flavor transferring qualities.

They work by regulating the cooking temperature. So the meat or whatever is under constant hear rather than a fluctuating temperature such as in a pan or pot. Also it traps in all the flavours and juices and circulates it around.

They really are pretty foolproof. A bit of lamb or chicken with some chickpeas, carrots, capsicum, etc... Some spices or a mix like Ras-el-hanoot is all you need. Ads some preserved lemons for a really nice twist. Above is only a small starter into what you can with this.
      03-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #70
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Raihax, can you please PM about your side work. Very interested in setting up an iPhone app for us.
      03-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #71
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
That's the one Raihax. The one in the main picture is the traditional porous clay. They are really great as they absorb flavour and after a few years they deliver their own distinct flavour to the dish, even without spices. I've had one for a few years and it's still nowhere near that stage though. They can however be a little harder to look after - need to soak it for 24 hours every couple of month and also soak it for 30 mins and air-dry before each use.

The new ceramic ones are a great alternative. They provide the same cooking effect without the care instructions. Obviously you forgo the flavor transferring qualities.

They work by regulating the cooking temperature. So the meat or whatever is under constant hear rather than a fluctuating temperature such as in a pan or pot. Also it traps in all the flavours and juices and circulates it around.

They really are pretty foolproof. A bit of lamb or chicken with some chickpeas, carrots, capsicum, etc... Some spices or a mix like Ras-el-hanoot is all you need. Ads some preserved lemons for a really nice twist. Above is only a small starter into what you can with this.
Interesting I am going to look it up and see where I can buy it from

Quote:
Raihax, can you please PM about your side work. Very interested in setting up an iPhone app for us.
PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #72
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
Interesting I am going to look it up and see where I can buy it from
I got my first one in Perth. A place on Murray St, next to Tiger Lils. Right next to where the Bose shop is.

Forgot the name of the place now but it's kitchen concept store. Have some sweet stuff. Not sure if it's still there - it's been about 3 years since I left.

They have the clay ones there and I think other ones too. Don't buy the Cuisinart one with the metal base - pretty pointless in terms of temp regulation. The Emile Henry one is a nice ceramic one.
      03-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #73
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I got my first one in Perth. A place on Murray St, next to Tiger Lils. Right next to where the Bose shop is.

Forgot the name of the place now but it's kitchen concept store. Have some sweet stuff. Not sure if it's still there - it's been about 3 years since I left.

They have the clay ones there and I think other ones too. Don't buy the Cuisinart one with the metal base - pretty pointless in terms of temp regulation. The Emile Henry one is a nice ceramic one.
Ah cool - I am going to the city tonight after work will check it out
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #74
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Ah cool - I am going to the city tonight after work will check it out
David Jones used to have them also.
      04-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #75
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

So we made some macaroon today - turned out pretty good for a first timer (well second as the first one we did failed )

Raspberry with White chocolate Macaroon !
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 07:03 AM   #76
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Price shipped to Brisbane?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #77
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Price shipped to Brisbane?
I will do a swap with you - pass me say your LSD and I will make a box full of macaroon
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #78
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
I will do a swap with you - pass me say your LSD and I will make a box full of macaroon
No worries Rey. Send over the macaroon first and I'll book the car this week
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #79
eriktufa
3r1k
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 MY08 BMW E92 335i

That actually looks good, easy to make?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 07:41 AM   #80
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg82 View Post
That actually looks good, easy to make?
Yeah it wasn't too hard - I followed My Kitchen Rules recipe.

A lot of waiting around though so quite time consuming.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #81
~sarah~
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135  [10.00]
ohhhhhh Honny I just noticed you had a Thermomix in the background of your one of your pics!
I just had mine delivered today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Watch this space because i am a foodie in the making lol
      04-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #82
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

I wish I had a thermomixer but is damn expensive!
Appreciate 0