BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-21-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Installed Forge Diverter Valves

First off, thanks to Nick @ NA Motorsports and Mike @ Forge for helping me out with the purchase and the install.

I bought these valves because of all of the positive reviews found on e90post. O-cha especially convinced me with his review.

I installed the Forge Diverter Valves about two weekends ago and I feel like I have developed a good first impression to share with you all. First off, these things are HUGE compared to the stock diverter valves. I'll try to take a picture for comparison, but these look way over-engineered compared to the stock diverter valves, making them almost look like something from a kid's toy. Everything felt very solid, from the hoses and clamps to the valve itself.

Installation was a little difficult for me, but I am a noobie DIYer so it could just be my lack of skills . In the instructions, it did not mention removing the plastic cowl, but I did to make it easier to access the back hose clamp on the intake.

I ended up finding out that the Forge valve and the stock valve were not the same height, and because of that, the hose could not be routed the same way.

In the end, I routed the hose underneath the intake to connect it to the new valve.

I also ran into what seems like a glued on vacuum hose.

I wasn't able to pull it off the first time I tried to install it. A week later, it loosened up and I was able to finally pull it off and finish the install.

Here's a few pics of it installed (angles are a little bad unfortunately):

The front hose was a little long :iono:

Nick and Mike said that I was one of the first to try this out, so they did not know what to expect as the kit was made for the 335i. If I were change anything, I would say to include an extra vacuum hose line in case the person wasn't able to get their's off, and to make the back diverter valve hose a little longer to give it more slack.

Impressions:
Because I have no power mods on this car, Nick recommended that I use the green springs included in the package. This is stated for 5psi-15psi. Initially, I found that the car was trying to adapt to the new valves. It was a little jerky at first, like it didn't seem like it knew what to expect yet. After awhile, the response started to feel much better. The power feels like it comes on much more linearly now, whereas before, there seemed like there was hesitation. Partial throtttle response is definitely improved here, and I feel like I'm much more in control with this car.

Conclusion:
I bought these valves in anticipation for more power mods in the future (tune, plus other bolt-ons), so I was not expecting much. Instead, I found the car to become more lively and much more responsive! I didn't expect to find any hp gains, and I don't believe there are any, but for drivability, it's much improved. Thumbs up to Forge :thumbup:!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
M1rider
Retired: 2008 135i /// 2011 1M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS / 2010 Techno M3

how did u twist the gray pieces on the lines i cant twist mine to pull of the stock diverter valve any help?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
doubleA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Can you hear the WWOOOOOSSHHH sound as well? lol
      12-10-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
M1rider
United_States
Rep

can anyone help me i try to twist them as hard as i can and their not comming out
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 01:21 AM   #5
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleA View Post
Can you hear the WWOOOOOSSHHH sound as well? lol
You can, with the window down - but it isn't that much different than stock TBH. It's definitely not a mod for showing off like a BOV is.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 01:25 AM   #6
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1rider View Post
can anyone help me i try to twist them as hard as i can and their not comming out
I had trouble with this too. It has small ridges that the gray twist lock has to go over before it can unlock. Also, make sure you are twisting the right direction - if you look closely you can see which way it can twist and can't twist. I think one of mine went the opposite direction from the other one, but I don't remember.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
M1rider
United_States
Rep

ok i will try and the stems on the twist lock on the gray part on the side do u have to pick those up im still a little confused?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
ok i will try and the stems on the twist lock on the gray part on the side do u have to pick those up im still a little confused?
No, if you twist hard enough, you will see the lock go over the stems that hold it place and lock into a new "unlocked" position.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 03:27 PM   #9
M1rider
United_States
Rep

im stilled confused i called namotorsports and he tryed to explain it to me but im still lost is their anyway anyone can make a vid of how to take the stock valves off
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
namotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i Coupe

Quote:
im stilled confused i called namotorsports and he tryed to explain it to me but im still lost is their anyway anyone can make a vid of how to take the stock valves off
Did you still need help? Feel free to give us a call toll free at 1-877-NAMOTORS :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 03:38 PM   #11
namotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairex View Post
First off, thanks to Nick @ NA Motorsports and Mike @ Forge for helping me out with the purchase and the install.

I bought these valves because of all of the positive reviews found on e90post. O-cha especially convinced me with his review.

I installed the Forge Diverter Valves about two weekends ago and I feel like I have developed a good first impression to share with you all. First off, these things are HUGE compared to the stock diverter valves. I'll try to take a picture for comparison, but these look way over-engineered compared to the stock diverter valves, making them almost look like something from a kid's toy. Everything felt very solid, from the hoses and clamps to the valve itself.

Installation was a little difficult for me, but I am a noobie DIYer so it could just be my lack of skills . In the instructions, it did not mention removing the plastic cowl, but I did to make it easier to access the back hose clamp on the intake.

I ended up finding out that the Forge valve and the stock valve were not the same height, and because of that, the hose could not be routed the same way.

In the end, I routed the hose underneath the intake to connect it to the new valve.

I also ran into what seems like a glued on vacuum hose.

I wasn't able to pull it off the first time I tried to install it. A week later, it loosened up and I was able to finally pull it off and finish the install.

Here's a few pics of it installed (angles are a little bad unfortunately):

The front hose was a little long :iono:

Nick and Mike said that I was one of the first to try this out, so they did not know what to expect as the kit was made for the 335i. If I were change anything, I would say to include an extra vacuum hose line in case the person wasn't able to get their's off, and to make the back diverter valve hose a little longer to give it more slack.

Impressions:
Because I have no power mods on this car, Nick recommended that I use the green springs included in the package. This is stated for 5psi-15psi. Initially, I found that the car was trying to adapt to the new valves. It was a little jerky at first, like it didn't seem like it knew what to expect yet. After awhile, the response started to feel much better. The power feels like it comes on much more linearly now, whereas before, there seemed like there was hesitation. Partial throtttle response is definitely improved here, and I feel like I'm much more in control with this car.

Conclusion:
I bought these valves in anticipation for more power mods in the future (tune, plus other bolt-ons), so I was not expecting much. Instead, I found the car to become more lively and much more responsive! I didn't expect to find any hp gains, and I don't believe there are any, but for drivability, it's much improved. Thumbs up to Forge :thumbup:!
Thanks for the great write-up. Once you have the car chipped, you'll really notice this mod. :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #12
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Just installed mine. Installation was a pain becuase the 135i has the muffler on the charge pipe which the 335i does not. This makes routing the hoses a pain in the ass. I also think the rear hose is a bit too long. I am going to play with the routing tomorrow morning. Getting the rear hose to fit around the dual cones is turning out to be quite the challenge. Oh and I cant get the rear dv out to save my life. That thing is in there for good. My valves are pressed up against each other. I think if i cut some hose in order to relieve some tension they may have a bit more room. Let's see!
Appreciate 0