E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Is BMW has any plan to introduce music "hard drive" like new G35?

04-14-2006, 11:50 AM   #1
luxman999
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Is BMW has any plan to introduce music "hard drive" like new G35?

http://www.caranddriver.com/custom/s...h_id=613&cddg=

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/04/13/infiniti_g35/

The G35 sedan will offer built-in hard drive to rip music from your CDs and store them for quick access and organization. In addition, its stereo system, built by Bose, is claiming to be the best for automobile, even better than M.L. system offered by Lexus.

This is really something. Very innovative, groundbreaking and something any music lovers would dying to have. What BMW offers? Just a plug for iPod...

"Besides a 300-plus horsepower engine, Titanium paddle shifters, push-button ignition, touch-screen navigation and a rear-view monitor, the G35 will offer a high-end Bose audio system that integrates a digital audio converter (DAC) that lets users rip audio CDs and create digital audio files.

According to Infiniti, the unit uses a 24-bit DAC built by Burr Brown, which recently was acquired by Texas Instruments. There are few technical details available, but edmunds.com reports that the system also includes a "9.5G" hard drive, which serves as storage device for audio files.

It is unclear which hard drive the G35 actually uses but the vague information suggests that Seagate was finally able to push its EE25 2.5" hard drive series into the automotive segment, making the Infiniti the first car that is offered with a mass storage device.

Seagate currently offers the 5400-rpm EE25 in versions with 20, 30 and 40 GB. We contacted Seagate and Infiniti officials to find out more about the hard drives used in the new G35 but have yet to receive an answer.

Infiniti may be surprising its competition with the announcement to offer mass storage solutions in order to support audio systems. Manufacturers such as BMW are still focused on adding interfaces for Apple's Ipod to their cars."
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 12:08 PM   #2
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Honestlly, I'd rather skip that option and have a quality Ipod interface. You can always take the Ipod out of the car and listen where ever you want. A hard drive just for music seems like a good idea but not as versatile a solution. Wonder if there's a way to directly transfer music files to it or if you have to burn them directly from a CD and how they'll deal with naming your files you've burned.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 12:14 PM   #3
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I agree. Given the MOST system, there should be options for access to large data storage devices in addition to I-pod.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

I would want the iPod because you can then remove the iPod and take it anywhere. Cant remove part of a car and take it with you. Plus that would make it a big process to input all the music...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 12:26 PM   #5
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Screw the I-Pod

You load the Hard-Drive with a Memory Card. There's a slot in the dash. The Memory card/Hard Drive method is much more preferable and universal IMO. Not everyone owns or even likes the I-Poo, I mean I-Pod. The BMW I-Pod interface limits BMW owners mass storage options to just the I-pod, which isn't good. Memory cards are a lot cheaper than an I-Pod. BMW screwed up IMO with an I-pod only interface. Audi and Now Infiniti appears to have it done right and unlike BMW isn't alienating non I-Pod Owning mp3 music lovers. Hopefully BMW will still retain the Aux input. Also, The I-Pod isn’t the best MP3 player out there. Most popular yes, most features and best sound no.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 12:28 PM   #6
IllinoisE90
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I am a music lover, but why in the world would I want to rip CDs in my car??

The IPOD plug and Sirius satisfies my needs.
      04-14-2006, 12:34 PM   #7
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisE90
I am a music lover, but why in the world would I want to rip CDs in my car??
Where in that article did it state that you would be able to rip CD's in the G35? The Hard Drive is used for mass storage of music. Where did you get the "rip CDs in my car" from?

Last edited by Tony; 04-14-2006 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 12:34 PM   #8
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
You load the Hard-Drive with a Memory Card. There's a slot in the dash. The Memory card/Hard Drive method is much more preferable and universal IMO. Not everyone owns or even likes the I-Poo, I mean I-Pod. The BMW I-Pod interface limits BMW owners mass storage options to just the I-pod, which isn't good. Memory cards are a lot cheaper than an I-Pod. BMW screwed up IMO with an I-pod only interface. Audi and Now Infiniti appears to have it done right and unlike BMW isn't alienating non I-Pod Owning mp3 music lovers. Hopefully BMW will still retain the Aux input. Also, The I-Pod isn’t the best MP3 player out there. Most popular yes, most features and best sound no.

Thats why you have an Aux jack in your E90. You choose the MP3 player...

Hard drive system? I cant wait for them to stop working from hitting pot holes and stuff like that...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 12:34 PM   #9
hkj
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I like what Infiniti is doing. Built-in hard drive for music. But, I prefer BMW's the ipod solution though. And judging from JSpira's recent report, BMW did a pretty good job on their ipod integration.

-hkj
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 12:38 PM   #10
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
Thats why you have an Aux jack in your E90. You choose the MP3 player...
Yeah but you wont get any ID3 tag info displayed on the head unit.

Quote:
Hard drive system? I cant wait for them to stop working from hitting pot holes and stuff like that...
Not an issue. If you are playing your I-Pod while driving, Does the "Hard-Drive" based I-Pod stop working if you hit a Pot-hole? Why would a built in Hard-Drive be any different? And besides, you don't think that they tested this stuff already, Or are you assuming that people who will purchase the G35's system are Beta-Testers?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 12:47 PM   #11
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah but you wont get any ID3 tag info displayed on the head unit.

Not an issue. If you are playing your I-Pod while driving, Does the "Hard-Drive" based I-Pod stop working if you hit a Pot-hole? Why would a built in Hard-Drive be any different? And besides, you don't think that they tested this stuff already, Or are you assuming that people who will purchase the G35's system are Beta-Testers?

My iPod is well cushioned no matter where it is. The names popping up on my screen means nothing to me. I can glance down at the iPod if I really wanted to know.

The hard drive just sounds like it is a lot of work to get going (I have 2,500 songs on my iPod, and it would be a nightmare to put those in storage).

Let infiniti do it. Lets just say that BMW does not have to fear me leaving them for infiniti for yet another reason...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 12:49 PM   #12
luxman999
Private
Rep

I own iPod only because I got it as a gift. I only use it during exercise or travel. I don't hate it but I don't love it either. I definitely don't want to carry or plug it in and out in my car constantly.

iPod is a personal MP3 player. It is NOT designed for or intended to be a primary mass music file system for your car!

Infiniti's hard drive system may not be perfect yet, but it is the definitely right direction. It has built-in slot for Compact Flash which is dirt cheap now, so you can easily store or transfer music files from your computer. This seems much more integrated solution than stupid plug for iPod.

By the way, when you compare the interior of E90 to new G35 as shown below, the G35's interior has much better "flow" and well integrated together. E90's interior has too many sharp edge and weird lines. I still get good laugh whenever I see the stupid cup holders in the E90....it's like BMW engineers forgot to design it and only add it at the last minutes
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 12:56 PM   #13
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My iPod is well cushioned no matter where it is. The names popping up on my screen means nothing to me. I can glance down at the iPod if I really wanted to know.
What about changing tracks from the head unit or steering wheel? With the BMW you can only perform this with an I-pod. With the memory card solution you don't need an I-Pod to do this. Why limit that functionality to only I-Pod Owners? If you use the Aux input you will have to change tracks with the MP3 player in your hand (Non I-Pod). That method doesn't seem to be safe IMO. BMW Could have still kept the I-Pod interface and also included a memory card slot. That way everyone would be happy.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 02:14 PM   #14
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
No one can win in a technology and gadget war. We all have different expectations, tastes, and preferences when it comes to cool toys and techie gadgets. I think the AUX port is great. I chose to use an iPod, but this allows you to use any auxiliary device you choose. Between Sirius, MP3 CDs and iPod I'm set.

There may be a PhatBox alternative if someone really wants to go to all that trouble...

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 02:20 PM   #15
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxman999
By the way, when you compare the interior of E90 to new G35 as shown below, the G35's interior has much better "flow" and well integrated together. E90's interior has too many sharp edge and weird lines. I still get good laugh whenever I see the stupid cup holders in the E90....it's like BMW engineers forgot to design it and only add it at the last minutes
Actually from a useability and UI perspective, the G35 is awful.

It starts with the fact that the keyboard controller for the display system is mounted high in front of the display - a very inconvenient place compared to the iDrive knob - and there are a lot of buttons, which BMW has mercifully eliminated with the iDrive system. A few buttons are ok, but not a lot. It gets worse from there - the E90 looks far more integrated and harmoniously designed.

Part of my job is to analyze user interface - so although you may not agree with my statements, I am applying industry standards in my evaluation.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 02:34 PM   #16
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira
the E90 looks far more integrated and harmoniously designed..
The E90's interior isn't one of its strong points IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira
Part of my job is to analyze user interface - so although you may not agree with my statements, I am applying industry standards in my evaluation.
So how would you rate the I-drive system? The multi layered menu approach that the I-Drive system utilizes, isn't the quickest or most efficient way to access functions. I’d rather have buttons. I can't see I-Drive like controllers staying around for the long haul.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 02:42 PM   #17
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
So how would you rate the I-drive system? The multi layered menu approach that the I-Drive system utilizes, isn't the quickest or most efficient way to access functions. I’d rather have buttons. I can't see I-Drive like controllers staying around for the long haul.

Id like to see how you would fit enought buttons to control the amount of functions the full Idrive system like that found in the 7 Series can handle.

Anyway, dont like the controller ? Use voice
Just say what menu or function you want, and there it is
      04-14-2006, 02:54 PM   #18
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
The current iDrive is the 2nd generation (the 7er is the first gen and the new 7er continues to use the older UI with improved technology behind it).

I would rate the current iDrive as a pretty good interface - not great but better than almost anything else on the market right now.

Buttons are inherently inefficient. Speech recognition allows you to hit anything you need in iDrive bypassing layers of menus.

The iDrive's haptic controller provides the driver with a highly-refined pointer for occasions where the driver doesn't use speech recognition. In addition, the placement of the haptic controller is excellent.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 03:00 PM   #19
carjon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi Sedan

If you're buying a car for music interfaces - you aren't really a bmw driver. I think the e90 gives me more than enough choices (although I'd like to chose xm or sirius). I-Pod is really the industry standard at the moment. Computer people may have no problem with getting cards - writing the music data on them via a gadget that they attach to their pc and moving the card back and forth but the whole i-Pod thing is easier for many people.

The hard drive may not break over a pot hole but over time hard drives die and I'll bet it will be more expensive to replace than an mp3 player.
      04-14-2006, 03:01 PM   #20
mundo74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10M5

Kudos to infiniti for the mass storage. Not everyone likes to be held hostage by apple. The hard drive idea give everyone the lowest denominator who listens to mp3, whether the use ipod, creative or whatever. no need to by adapters and I bet the infiniti solution will be faster to manuever than BMWs adapter (just guessing). I was hoping bmw would make some sort of a universal interface (ie bluetooth) that other MP3 players could theoretically be a part of. again not everyone owns an ipod.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 03:08 PM   #21
mundo74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjon
If you're buying a car for music interfaces - you aren't really a bmw driver.
Most people in the US whobuy BMWs aren't "bmw drivers" and by extension I could say a real BMW drivers should not have auto boxes but un synchronized 6 speed boxes. Fact is technology is selling cars and If BMW or any other luxury brand does not get this then they will be left behind. Also hard drives are cheap.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #22
luxman999
Private
Rep

Quote:
It starts with the fact that the keyboard controller for the display system is mounted high in front of the display - a very inconvenient place compared to the iDrive knob - and there are a lot of buttons, which BMW has mercifully eliminated with the iDrive system. A few buttons are ok, but not a lot. It gets worse from there - the E90 looks far more integrated and harmoniously designed.
I really don't want to get into the iDrive argument again. I've used iDrive and I hate it. Period. Is it because it's hard to learn? No. I make living by designing system far more complex than that, so that's not the point. I hate it because it does NOTHING to add style to the car. Buttons, if well designed, add real character and style to the car. And I really like the solid feedback on high-quality buttons. If every car has iDrive like device, all cars will have same generic single knob and screen....from BMW to Hyundai. Say goodbye to uniqueness. How sad is that?

Quote:
If you're buying a car for music interfaces - you aren't really a bmw driver
I'm sick of hearing the term "a BMW driver". So what makes you a true BMW driver? You can disregard pretty much everything else except car's handling. Is that it? Music is one of the important factors for many people when deciding cars. Of course, the car's dynamic character is much more important but that doesn't mean BMW cannot offer the best music system.

So take a look at below. Is it too many buttons to control all Navi, audio, climate and others? I don't think so. It's pretty well designed layout and it ADDS real style and character to the car. Looks damn high quality too. No iDrive device can do that. It has "voice" function too, so you don't even have to use all these buttons. I've used the Navi and voice system in the M45 and it was awesome. Its Navigation features are FAR better and cool than BMW. I'm sure G35 will have the same system.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0