BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #111
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brow0814 View Post
Gary for those of us with a wife who thinks this is her car and made the SlushBox decision- Is there be a different map for AT transmissions? How does that work?

On the Cobb site, an AT transmission sees gains of ~6% less as compared to a MT.

Thanks!
Scott
+1 . . . though I actually like my auto.
      01-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #112
RX-BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i sport package 6AT

Quote:
Gary for those of us with a wife who thinks this is her car and made the SlushBox decision- Is there be a different map for AT transmissions? How does that work?

On the Cobb site, an AT transmission sees gains of ~6% less as compared to a MT.

Thanks!
Scott
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #113
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Is this available now for delivery, or only at COBB Dealers??
      01-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #114
Dannydeleted
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Subaru STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
Is this available now for delivery, or only at COBB Dealers??
AccessPORT? Why yes it is!

Call us at 866.922.3059

- Website - AccessPORT - Forums - Mailing List - Blog - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube -
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #115
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

Thanks!
Scott
Most automatics have a bit more parasitic loss than the manuals, that is why you see a little less power. Torque converters just suck up a bit more power than a clutch, sadly. We have automatic-specifc calibrations. If you visit this page: http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=5832. Then click on the "Calibration" tab. Then look for the maps for your ECU you will see that we have Automatic maps. However, when you plug the AccessPORT into your car, it will automatically choose the correct maps for your vehicle!

Travis
COBB Tuning
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #116
Ser1es
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i ///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning View Post
Ser1es,

It's not so important with our Off the Shelf maps, but once folks start getting into self tuning, seeing some of those monitors in real time can give important feedback.

Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
I guess the question is, can one use a laptop to monitor the plethora of data, or is one limited to the AP screen?
Gary,
That is really what I was referring to. At this point with no real mods for our cars ie. Fuel, turbos, custom tunes... There would be no need to constantly monitor anything. The flash is only adjusting the original settings. Now of course once people actually start making turbo kits and what not then yes A/F, Boost as well as many other factors need to be monitored.
Maxnix brings up a good point, will we be able to view data on a laptop or just the AP screen?
      01-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #117
RX-BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just ordered mine this morning for AT 135i, hope its an easy install. Should get here by Thur. (was impatient so paid for 2nd day air)

I'll do a review once I get it

-RX
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #118
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser1es View Post
Gary,
That is really what I was referring to. At this point with no real mods for our cars ie. Fuel, turbos, custom tunes... There would be no need to constantly monitor anything. The flash is only adjusting the original settings. Now of course once people actually start making turbo kits and what not then yes A/F, Boost as well as many other factors need to be monitored.
Maxnix brings up a good point, will we be able to view data on a laptop or just the AP screen?
When AccessTUNER Race becomes available, yes, there will be a datalogging feature, this is one of the features of AccessTUNER. That said, AccessTUNER Race is still a little ways off. However, but the time it's out, I am sure you will be ready for a built motor and big turbos .

Travis
COBB Tuning
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #119
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

beta firmware update email was just sent, updating now for those of you who were waiting!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #120
Rob@Cobb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i ///M Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser1es View Post
Gary,
I think I can go a little further into detail. The AP allows you to view a monitor realtime on the AP itself. During that time it will also allow you to data log multiple monitors to later be viewed on your PC or mac in a comma delimited format (excel friendly).

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #121
RX-BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Will I need to go back to stock map ANYTIME i take my car to the dealer? including oil changes? 24,000mi of warranty left on the car
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #122
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
So, only computer replay? Well, better than nothing, but not as good as simultaneous monitoring of several sensors in real time.
I apologize, I don't think I made myself very clear. With AccessTUNER Race you will be able to monitor many tables and sensors at the same time, live. So you will be able to log and monitor live. The AccessPORT can only display one parameter at a time on the screen. However, you can datalog multiple parameters at once for later review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-BMW View Post
Will I need to go back to stock map ANYTIME i take my car to the dealer? including oil changes? 24,000mi of warranty left on the car
This is a good idea since it is so easy to uninstall the AccessPORT. The dealer can still update/reflash your ECU even with the AccessPORT installed. If this happens, you would have to send your AccessPORT back and have it relicensed. It is best just to uninstall the unit and then reinstall after your visit.

Travis
COBB Tuning
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #123
RX-BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I apologize, I don't think I made myself very clear. With AccessTUNER Race you will be able to monitor many tables and sensors at the same time, live. So you will be able to log and monitor live. The AccessPORT can only display one parameter at a time on the screen. However, you can datalog multiple parameters at once for later review.

This is a good idea since it is so easy to uninstall the AccessPORT. The dealer can still update/reflash your ECU even with the AccessPORT installed. If this happens, you would have to send your AccessPORT back and have it relicensed. It is best just to uninstall the unit and then reinstall after your visit.

Travis
COBB Tuning
Thanks! I'm sure il have more questions to follow.
What hp gain am I to expect with an auto transmission?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #124
Shaggykjb_135I
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 135 6spd. loaded.

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I was told their would be a possible update to a known issue with the latest BMW rom version. Any body get a AP in the last week? Any issues?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 02:21 AM   #125
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

I wish you could give an ETA on overseas compatibility...I want a tune but the only options for me are the Procede or JB4 atm - however I don't really like fiddling around in the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #126
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

I signed order for a 1M coupe today.

I hope Cobb will support it ASAP.
If you promise to support it, I'll buy AccessPort upfront, and send you any scan/ROM/whatever you need from my 1M.

By the way, I'm Euro located. Delivery expected early June.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #127
Smac355
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Been reading a lot through this post... Seems like Stage 1 Map which is currently out is fairly comparable to other tunes out there on the same level. I currently have a DINAN tune, which was mainly b/c of warranty concerns. I don't want to get into any debates there. However as my 50k limit is approaching(40k in 2+ plus years ) I'm thinking of going to a dif tune which offers more.

I see a benefit of COBB is that you can have it custom dynotuned correct? Are there any philadelphia area dealers that have experience w/ the 135i?

-thanks
Black Sapphire Metallic 135i/Coral Leather Interior/ Gloss Black Grills/20% tint/M door sills/Black 135i badge, smoked LED side marker, Dinan stage II , DINAN Exhaust, performance side skirts, performance shift boot/e-brake, pedals, carbon fiber wrapped interior
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #128
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

I’ve had the AP and other COBB products on my old WRX wagon, never had a single issue which is why I just ordered AP for my 135. The timing is perfect, my 135 goes into the dealer this week for scheduled maintenance, I assume the AP will be here next week and the install will be the following weekend.

I will post thoughts ASAP.
      01-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #129
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

Anyway to plug a laptop/netbook into the AP to view multiple data reads at the same time? Has Cobb ever made a interface for Windows, or does everything have to be done through that little AP?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #130
Gimlet
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 135i

Initial Impressions after install

Got my updated ROM today from COBB, an even newer firmware release over last nights major drop. All I can say is WOW! FYI - I'm running the MadDad mids and whisper exhaust on an '08 135 Auto.

Throttle tip-in seems to be greatly improved over the stock BMW map; there doesn't seem to be that initial hesitation when gently rolling on the throttle from a stop. I had the thing in D for the first 10 minutes or so of my inaugural drive, waiting for the motor to warm up. Just rumbling around under 50mph in stop and go traffic, the thing performs great. Very smooth behavior, no jerky-ness at all - should be extremely easy to live with as a daily driven map.

When you get on it, Holy Hell! I've never had a tune on this car before, so the rush of power is crazy exciting. I hopped on the highway, and punched it in 3rd gear at 60...when I looked back down after the initial rush subsided, I was already at 120mph...whoops!

I got a chance to launch from a dig in just DS (w/ DTC off), and spun through second and into third (running on 255 'Kooks in the rear with a ton of tread). I also got on it from 40 and lost traction there.

All in all I'm very impressed and happy with the purchase. Install was a breeze once I got the updated firmware I needed. Hint - unroll your window and do this from outside the car. I walked away and came back about 10 minutes later and it was done. I intend to upgrade the FMIC, and once my warranty goes, will likely go kitty-less DP's. I really like the fact that I can get it properly dyno-tuned at that time; in addition I'm sure there will be some quality maps being shared around.

I can't speak to the other options out there, as mentioned, I've never tried them (or even ridden in a car w/ them). That said, this seems to be a great fit for what I was looking for - a daily driven car with just some extra kick (and I mean extra!). Looking forward to seeing future developments on this and what the true potential might be.
      01-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #131
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ View Post
Anyway to plug a laptop/netbook into the AP to view multiple data reads at the same time? Has Cobb ever made a interface for Windows, or does everything have to be done through that little AP?
AccessTUNER Race is our PC based tuning software for end users that will allow this.

Thanks,

Gary
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #132
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

Quote:
AccessTUNER Race is our PC based tuning software for end users that will allow this.

Thanks,

Gary
Damn, can't wait!

So real-time logging, the ability to graph/re-view data and the ability to manipulate the same maps that you guys can?
Appreciate 0