BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #67
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post
Not that surprising, since they worked at warming up the PSS with, presumably, hard cornering.

"they kept cornering with the PSS until it heated up and got better cornering at 57 and about the same cornering at 20 degrees as the all season"

The real test is when you're doing actual driving, which is mostly straight line cruising. The PSS won't do as well there in 20 degree weather.

It's a simple tradeoff on dry or wet pavement. Max performance at the limit in warm dry weather (summer tires like PSS) v solid, consistent, performance under a variety of conditions (ultra high performance all seasons like A/S 3s.).

In snow, nothing comes close to dedicated snow tires.
To get the PSS to corner over 1g (about 1.1) at 20 degrees required it to be warmed up. The author's estimate of the initial cornering was about 0.9g. That would be sufficient for me for driving on the street.

The reason I liked the braking test is there was apparently no repeated tries to warm up the tires and give us invalid data for street driving. There the PSS was worse at 20 degrees but still braked in about the same distance as the A/S 3s did at 57 degrees.

I remain convinced the issue with PSS tires in the winter is not temperature, it is snow and ice. I do not think the PSS tires will function very well on snow and ice due to their tread pattern. But at lower temperature, my experience plus the test data I have been able to find says they are OK.
      11-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #68
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

I noticed a small decrease in traction last night. Temps in the low 40's and a cold rain. I was getting some figets going between lanes that at warmer temps and rain didn't occur. Nothing dramatic, but noticeable.

You know the 135s have inferior brakes so having dedicated winter tires may save the day by a shorter stopping distance.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #69
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overpar56 View Post
You know the 135s have inferior brakes so having dedicated winter tires may save the day by a shorter stopping distance.
What do you mean inferior brakes? Inferior for track duty, maybe. But on the street theyre incredibly overbuilt.

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #70
Hed Case
Jack Madison
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i MGM/Coral

PSS and Cold Weather

Running PSS. First cold weather this year in Wisconsin (32F) and my flat tire warning is displaying, first the left front, two days later the right front. Have others experienced this?

John
Madison WI
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #71
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Case View Post
Running PSS. First cold weather this year in Wisconsin (32F) and my flat tire warning is displaying, first the left front, two days later the right front. Have others experienced this?

John
Madison WI
You mean tires losing pressure in the cold? Thats just physics.

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #72
Hed Case
Jack Madison
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i MGM/Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
You mean tires losing pressure in the cold? Thats just physics.
I get that. But having flat tire warnings that require attention, never had that in previous cars. Is that what I can look forward to every time the temperature drops to near freezing, which is pretty frequent in Wisconsin?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 05:49 PM   #73
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I get that. But having flat tire warnings that require attention, never had that in previous cars. Is that what I can look forward to every time the temperature drops to near freezing, which is pretty frequent in Wisconsin?
The sensors go off when theres a change of a few psi from reset baseline. A cold night can easily do that. Ive had my light go on with a pressure gauge showing 33 psi in the tire.

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 06:14 PM   #74
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Quote:
What do you mean inferior brakes? Inferior for track duty, maybe. But on the street theyre incredibly overbuilt.
It's a joke. Others seem to think they're incredibly bad.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #75
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

It's been unseasonably cold here in the South-Denver area. 2* this morning. Plus, we got a bit of snow. Let me tell you what a shitshow today was. I decided to just see how it would drive in my neighborhood. It's quiet, no one else on the road - so I was only worried with bending my own sheet metal. I have a 30 ft drop down my cul-de-sac. Navigated successfully. Next street over I have a 30 ft incline. Fought the traction control all the way, but made it to the top. I thought that it was ridiculous for me to continue driving. I turned around and made it back to the bottom of my street. I only made it halfway up the street before I had to abandon.

This afternoon, I only made it one direction - backwards. It was still only 5*. I had to get up the street with my neighbor's F250 and a tow strap. Even then, I had to have a push up the driveway AND into my garage.

Bottom line is I need to find my wife a new car so I can drive my 2nd vehicle on days like this.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #76
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
You need to physically check each tire's tire pressure, then reset the TPMS to "learn" the new "target" pressure for the TPMS system. I always set my tire (target) pressures twice a year. Once in summer and once in winter.

It's not so much a BMW system as it is a mandated US system. Now in Europe TPMS are now required by Brussels. SO the GErmans are now having to live with these little things.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #77
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
You need to physically check each tire's tire pressure, then reset the TPMS to "learn" the new "target" pressure for the TPMS system. I always set my tire (target) pressures twice a year. Once in summer and once in winter.

It's not so much a BMW system as it is a mandated US system. Now in Europe TPMS are now required by Brussels. SO the GErmans are now having to live with these little things.

The i3 has a much more sophisticated system. It actually reads individual tire pressures! I wonder if that is a result of this decision.

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 08:51 PM   #78
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

Quote:
The i3 has a much more sophisticated system. It actually reads individual tire pressures! I wonder if that is a result of this decision.
I had rental cars with this 8-10 years ago (I think it was Cadillac or Lincoln). I thought it was pointless. If your TMPS light comes on, check all 4 (or 5) tires. It's just good practice.
Appreciate 0