BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-14-2008, 09:25 AM   #23
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

You need these http://www.softclaws.com/ . These are nail caps that glue onto your cat's claws. I have not used them personally as we have no cats, just dogs which don't climb on cars, but I have heard good things about them.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 10:06 AM   #24
BeamerDreamer
Village Idiot
Rep
Drives: 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudw View Post
Not sure why this is in photos and videos (as there are none...). Moving to general discussion.
I'm not sure what I was thinking placing this post in photos and videos. Maybe I can get a photo of the scratches and paw prints on my Honda and post them here. Thanks for moving it to a more appropriate forum.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #25
sunking420
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 SGM 135i

Scare the cats with the horn, using the alarm with remote. Cats adapt pretty quickly, and hate loud noises. De-clawing is not cruel unless they go outdoors open to attack..My last cat loved the top of all my vehicles. The pawprints used to drive me crazy. The new guy wants nothing to do with the 135i, much to my relief. I won't have the crap box inside either. Again, use the horn or some other loud noise and hopefully you get results. Good luck, I feel for you. I'm between girlfriends right now, as the last one, if you looked up "high maintanence" in the dictionary her picture was posted there. As well as "selfish narcissist". Your wife couldn't possibly be as bad as what I just put myself through. Try to talk her into de-clawing, the cats won't even remember it after a week...........
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 10:35 AM   #26
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

They make these little rubber covers that you glue on to the ends of your cat's claws. I've used them a couple of times and they work well. They last a couple of months and then you have to put new ones on.

EDIT: http://www.softclaws.com/ thats what it was! And don't declaw!! It IS cruel. They don't just pull out the claw, they basically cut off the tips of the cats paw, similar to cutting off the end of your fingers at the first knuckle. A lot of vets won't perform the procedure and it make even be illegal in your state.
      08-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #27
gargoyal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Good luck !

Car covers are pain on daily drivers. Every time you drive you have to take it off, fold it and store it. When you park you have to dust your car, take out the cover and put it on. This can be a real hassle over time and there will be days when you forget (those will be the days the cats attack your car). Also if you cats are scratchers, the car cover on your car will make a good scratching post for them.

The cover is a short term solution in my book. Your best bet is to give up something to your wife to get control of the garage (jewelry, the den, your dignity by begging...etc). The garage is the only part of the house I control. But, I pretty much had to give up everything else to get it.

If you decide to keep the cats and the car in the garage just be prepared for the inevitable. The cover will help, but cats will be cats.
      08-14-2008, 02:29 PM   #28
G5Ti
Purveyor of fine roads.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

The softclaws are ridiculously difficult to keep on your cat's claws…

Is there any way you can quarantine the cat-box area of the garage with some sort of gate system or something? That way you can still get to the cars, but the cars are blocked and only able to go into the garage to use the cat box.

Might be cumbersome, but it could work.
      08-14-2008, 03:50 PM   #29
BeamerDreamer
Village Idiot
Rep

Here is an example of what I am dealing with. This is a shot of of my Prelude. I bet if I really cared, I could probably buff those scratches out. There really aren't that many of them but if that happened to a brand new car I would be really pissed off to say the least. It was extremely difficult to get a good picture of it considering that the car is in bad need of a wash. This is probably the best shot. As you can tell I am not a photographer.

The cats come in through the same door that I use to get to the garage. We just prop the door open with a door stop so they can get in and out.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #30
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

On further thought, the cats may actually love to use the car cover as a scratching post, too....and, eventually, they'll claw through it, scratching the car.

Maybe....park in the driveway with a car cover?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 05:26 PM   #31
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Most (if not all) cats hate getting sprayed with water..
Cats are also smart and will quickly learn to stay away from areas where they know they've been sprayed previously.
There are a number of inexpensive motion activated water repellent devices available (check eBay) which senses the animal by using heat and/or movement and sprays a short burst of water in the direction of the movement.

Now if I can only get my kitty to always wear his pickelhaube.. :biggrin:

08-14-2008, 06:31 PM   #32
tonytigerking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

The easiest solution is to put the litter box indoor, use good litters, and keep them out of the garage. If you can fine a premium pet store in your area, their employee might be able to recommend you some good car litters.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 11:08 PM   #33
lacrosse
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 997 C2

Garage List
2006 Carrera C2  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
2002 Mercedes ML 320  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking420 View Post
Scare the cats with the horn, using the alarm with remote. Cats adapt pretty quickly, and hate loud noises. De-clawing is not cruel unless they go outdoors open to attack..My last cat loved the top of all my vehicles. The pawprints used to drive me crazy. The new guy wants nothing to do with the 135i, much to my relief. I won't have the crap box inside either. Again, use the horn or some other loud noise and hopefully you get results. Good luck, I feel for you. I'm between girlfriends right now, as the last one, if you looked up "high maintanence" in the dictionary her picture was posted there. As well as "selfish narcissist". Your wife couldn't possibly be as bad as what I just put myself through. Try to talk her into de-clawing, the cats won't even remember it after a week...........

You dated my ex-wife?

Gone: 2008 135i/2006 330i Arrived: 2006 997/Black/Sand Beige Leather/6MT/Sports Chrono Plus/19" Vorsteiner V-308s/Factory Nav/Sports Steering Wheel/Contrasting Mats/Heated Seats/Bose /V1/iPod adapter/Parrot Bluetooth/50% all around/Black "911" script/"Gundo Hack"/AWE black chrome tips/H&R adjustable front and rear sways/Rennline shift knob
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 11:24 PM   #34
135ITT
Private
Rep
Drives: SGM08

put ballons all around the car, then POW after few times. No more cat on car.
      08-15-2008, 12:46 AM   #35
BeamerDreamer
Village Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135ITT View Post
put ballons all around the car, then POW after few times. No more cat on car.
I'm going to give this a try this weekend. Wish me luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 02:15 AM   #36
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
Most (if not all) cats hate getting sprayed with water..
Cats are also smart and will quickly learn to stay away from areas where they know they've been sprayed previously.
There are a number of inexpensive motion activated water repellent devices available (check eBay) which senses the animal by using heat and/or movement and sprays a short burst of water in the direction of the movement.

Now if I can only get my kitty to always wear his pickelhaube.. :biggrin:

Not everyone knows the term picklehaube.:wink:That's a tiny pickelhaube at that. As it was 108 today, the snow in the background of your pic looks most appealing.

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 08:52 AM   #37
M3Armand
Private
Rep
Drives:

I think it's time to put a nice fresh bowl of antifreeze on the floor...
2008 BMW X5 4.8i, Black Sapphire / Saddle Brown
Appreciate 0