BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #23
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurimOne54
Is the shifter supposed to be so notchy? Sometimes it's a struggle to put it into gear.
Are you talking specifically about the 1-2 shift?

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post
Are you talking specifically about the 1-2 shift?
Yes

The shifter is getting stuck in gear where I have to yank it out with force. I'm deeply concerned
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #25
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Video I made of the issue I'm having after the clutch install...

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #26
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Holy crap, jammed like sitting still with the engine off.
You have some kind of alignment issue, motor mounts or something rubbing bad.
Good luck and keep us informed.

Just checked mine, engine off, shifts normal between all gears and back into reverse, were I park it.

Last edited by Suds; 12-24-2013 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: Added words
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
Holy crap, jammed like sitting still with the engine off.
You have some kind of alignment issue, motor mounts or something rubbing bad.
Good luck and keep us informed.

Just checked mine, engine off, shifts normal between all gears and back into reverse, were I park it.
Based on what everyone is saying the clutch wasn't bled correctly and there is air in the line.

I'll keep you informed. The shop seems to be working with me to help me get the issue resolved.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #28
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
It will get stuck sometimes with the engine off, just depends where the syncros stop. With the engine on is what you should be concerned about.

If its only happening in second gear, i doubt its air in the line. Air in the line would likely cause this problem in many gears. Give it a bleed and check because that is easy, but I think you may have a different issue.

Does this problem happen while you're driving or just when you're stopped at a light or similar?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #29
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post
It will get stuck sometimes with the engine off, just depends where the syncros stop. With the engine on is what you should be concerned about.

If its only happening in second gear, i doubt its air in the line. Air in the line would likely cause this problem in many gears. Give it a bleed and check because that is easy, but I think you may have a different issue.

Does this problem happen while you're driving or just when you're stopped at a light or similar?
While driving also and happenes 1st-3rd gear.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #30
Stohlen
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurimOne54 View Post
While driving also and happenes 1st-3rd gear.
That makes more sense, bleed it.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #31
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That makes more sense, bleed it.
So the Tech who did the installation came out to me to see what the issue was after i told him about my concerns.

After 10mins of driving we couldn't get the issue to duplicate. Until the way back home we get to a red light and he can't get the shifter to go into 1st. He uses a little trick and pops it out, then when going into 2nd the shifter gets stuck in gear. He then proceeds to tell me he never bled the clutch. Told me that he removed the entire slave cylinder so that he wouldn't have to....

Tomorrow he is going to flush the entire system.

Last edited by ..; 12-25-2013 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #32
Stohlen
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Hmm.... starting to sound less like a clutch problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm.... starting to sound less like a clutch problem.
This happened as a result of the clutch install so yes it is a clutch problem.

We will know after tomorrow. I dont know what else it could be, I think bleeding the clutch should do it.

Last edited by ..; 12-25-2013 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #34
Stohlen
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
This happened as a result of the clutch install so yes it is a clutch problem.
Don't be so sure. To replace the clutch the whole trans comes out. There is no telling what could have happened when the transmission was out. The tech could have reconnected the shifter poorly, damaged the linkage or lost a small retainer holding the shifter arms in place. Just because the clutch was replaced doesn't mean the problem is the clutch not engaging properly, if the tech. did indeed remove the slave, he didn't introduce any air to the system because he didn't open the system.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #35
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Don't be so sure. To replace the clutch the whole trans comes out. There is no telling what could have happened when the transmission was out. The tech could have reconnected the shifter poorly, damaged the linkage or lost a small retainer holding the shifter arms in place. Just because the clutch was replaced doesn't mean the problem is the clutch not engaging properly, if the tech. did indeed remove the slave, he didn't introduce any air to the system because he didn't open the system.
In theory you shouldn't have to bleed it if the hydraulic line isn't opened. However, if the rod extends all the way out of the slave cylinder you need to bleed. Air can still get in alittle sometimes because it's extended out all the way.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #36
headsup7up
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: CSM 135i

i just did the clutch a few weeks ago in mine, never touched the fluid. i bet your issue is not in the clutch, sounds more like the linkage was put in wrong or was not clipped in when reinstalled... or the wireharness wasnt routed correct to the trans and the shift linkage is getting tangled in it.

also i didnt see if you mentioned it but if there was significant air in the system the clutch would feel spongy. if it doesnt feel any different dont get hung up on the clutch fluid.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #37
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsup7up View Post
i just did the clutch a few weeks ago in mine, never touched the fluid. i bet your issue is not in the clutch, sounds more like the linkage was put in wrong or was not clipped in when reinstalled... or the wireharness wasnt routed correct to the trans and the shift linkage is getting tangled in it.

also i didnt see if you mentioned it but if there was significant air in the system the clutch would feel spongy. if it doesnt feel any different dont get hung up on the clutch fluid.
I am at the shop right now and they are trying to tell me it's the actual product and can not be the linkage.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #38
headsup7up
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I am at the shop right now and they are trying to tell me it's the actual product and can not be the linkage.
ehhh thats why i hate shops. theyll blame the product and all of a sudden youll be out hundreds more. them saying it cannot be the linkage is bullshit. even if it doesnt end up being the issue, just blindly saying it cannot be something is ignorant. the linkage has clips that if they arent pressed all the way on can pop off very easily, once popped off the pin can slide out and bind on the transmission case. its pretty tight in there so to me it sounds like the pin is not in place and is hitting the case, that would also be whats holding the pin in enough to not disconnect the linkage all together while still being able to make shifts.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #39
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ehhh thats why i hate shops. theyll blame the product and all of a sudden youll be out hundreds more. them saying it cannot be the linkage is bullshit. even if it doesnt end up being the issue, just blindly saying it cannot be something is ignorant. the linkage has clips that if they arent pressed all the way on can pop off very easily, once popped off the pin can slide out and bind on the transmission case. its pretty tight in there so to me it sounds like the pin is not in place and is hitting the case, that would also be whats holding the pin in enough to not disconnect the linkage all together while still being able to make shifts.
They are stating it might be the throw out bearing.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #40
headsup7up
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
They are stating it might be the throw out bearing.
throw out bearing is what contacts the pressure plate from the clutch fork. when they go bad they just make noise. unless it was installed wrong or its the wrong one for the car, i think there just jerking you around. if you didnt have it replaced, then it wasnt touched during the new clutch install so unless it was doing the shift issue before the clutch was replaced then thats most likely not your problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
throw out bearing is what contacts the pressure plate from the clutch fork. when they go bad they just make noise. unless it was installed wrong or its the wrong one for the car, i think there just jerking you around. if you didnt have it replaced, then it wasnt touched during the new clutch install so unless it was doing the shift issue before the clutch was replaced then thats most likely not your problem.
Well Spec provided a throw out bearing with the kit, so from what I'm hearing it was installed or positioned incorrectly.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The shop is saying they have to turn the throw out bearing 90 degrees, But in no way are they taking responsibility. They said they aren't the first ones to have this problem according to the internet due to Spec's lack of providing directions
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #43
headsup7up
Private First Class
Rep

There is only one way for a TOB to be installed unless the spec TOB is different somehow. To be honest it really doesnt sound like a clutch engagment issue in your case. if it was the TOB or clutch it would be a consistant issue, not something that cannot be repeated everytime.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #44
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is only one way for a TOB to be installed unless the spec TOB is different somehow. To be honest it really doesnt sound like a clutch engagment issue in your case. if it was the TOB or clutch it would be a consistant issue, not something that cannot be repeated everytime.

That's the one from Spec.
Appreciate 0