BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-08-2010, 06:34 AM   #45
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Based on what proof? Looked pretty real to me
It's supposedly been verified by the guys who made the movie. The original video apparently had "Wittkopp.NET" in the corner. Google reveals the website hosting it is down, but this is the cache:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittkopp.net
Are the Videos Real?
The most popular video of ours is the BMW car chase (aka Hicks vs. Yuppies). It seems to have made its way around the net...

This video was created one afternoon by four friends with nothing better to do. We weren't trying to accomplish anything except to make a home movie that might make people laugh. We wanted to create a short video that surprised the audience at the end.

We had no idea that it would spark numerous debates about its authenticity. Quite a few people have weighed in with their opinion, some believing that it was completely fake, while others made interesting points regarding why they felt that it was real.

We loved reading all the comments, bad, good, and ugly. I can tell you that we did everything in one take, completely unscripted, with about ten minutes of planning. Alot is cut, especially near the end because we were laughing!
The fact that the guy with the camera keeps the camera in his hand when getting out to confront the BMW driver, or that he zooms the camera in on the handgun were big signs that it was fake.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 08:07 AM   #46
ksparks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Based on what proof? Looked pretty real to me
you cant be serious.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #47
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
haha yeah... not even out here in the sticks would that be considered tailgating!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #48
MA128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128 Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2013 128 Coupe  [0.00]
To all - I agree the BMW should have just waved him by. My point was only that I thought the 3 driver too close behind at that speed on that road.
      06-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #49
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1761 View Post
wow. haha. I cant stand how people buy super fast car yet doesnt even use all that power. Seriously whats the point of getting that fast of a car when you drive it like a corolla.
I'll be the first to admit to driving my car like a corolla quite often. Flame on!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #50
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul53 View Post
To all - I agree the BMW should have just waved him by. My point was only that I thought the 3 driver too close behind at that speed on that road.

He was about two seconds behind him, paying attention, and had no problems stopping when the guy decided to jump out of the car. That wasn't tailgating by any stretch of the imaginiation.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #51
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

wow that guy was tailgating, wide angle cameras like that make it look like he was far away, but time it, he was tailgating, I would be pissed too unless I knew who it was and we were on a mountain run
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #52
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
wow that guy was tailgating, wide angle cameras like that make it look like he was far away, but time it, he was tailgating, I would be pissed too unless I knew who it was and we were on a mountain run

Oh BS he was tailgating. Count the time between the two cars as the first one passes the marker poles. Most of the time there's close to a two second gap.

If the guy in the BMW didn't want him behind him, all he had to do was slow down and wave him by, as any normal person would. There's no excuse for going around acting like that just because you can't outrun someone.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #53
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

that's tailgating in my book, and I counted less than 2 seconds, sometimes quite a bit less
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #54
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
A) Not tailgating. No way. I get pissed when someone is 18" off my bumper, not several car lengths...

B) Even if it WAS tailgating (which it wasn't), stopping your car in the middle of the road and becoming physically confrontational is just crazy bullshit. Someone forgot to take their meds. Just utilize the first available turnout or something.
      06-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #55
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
that's tailgating in my book, and I counted less than 2 seconds, sometimes quite a bit less
Give your head a shake. In your book, everyone on the freeway must be tailgating.

Tailgating is the practice of driving on a road too closely at a distance which does not guarantee that stopping to avoid collision is possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #56
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

freeway <> 2 lane country road, there's a big difference
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #57
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Quote:
freeway <> 2 lane country road, there's a big difference
You're right - 65mph on a freeway requires a much longer stopping distance versus 30mph on a country road.

I don't tailgate nor do I like it when someone else does, but no way was the Mazda tailgating.

In either case, the BMW driver had options other than threats and is heading for jail or worse if he keeps that up.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #58
oztiks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Gran coupe

Totally respect the Mazda driver.. calm , cool and collective. I am happy to report this has never happened to me, and if a driver ever decides to stop that way in front of me, I'm sorry but I will run you over...nothing more and nothing less...and I will make sure you stay down without hesitation or second thought...self defense ... This is why I strongly suggest you stay in your car... The Mazda driver was in no way tailgating..

Last edited by oztiks; 06-08-2010 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #59
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

I side with Bimmers. Bimmer dude was just having a tough day or pent up from the previous asshole in a Civic that was tailgating him. I have had similar issues with Civic and Mazda3 types, even a Ford twin turbo, who seem to want to tailgate me very closely or drive allong side and try to get me to dance. Occurs Quite often behind other less confident drivers driving slow in the fast lane. The jap drivers are antagonizing instead of just moving on. Regular occurence in Maryland.

If you have ever been rear ended, it will stay in your mind for the rest of your life. Perhaps this made hime a little more sensitive to that questionable tailgate.

Cool minds and wit prevale. Just set him up at the next speed trap, much more fun. A flame thrower from SA would be interesting too.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #60
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135MDCT View Post
I side with Bimmers. Bimmer dude was just having a tough day or pent up from the previous asshole in a Civic that was tailgating him. I have had similar issues with Civic and Mazda3 types, even a Ford twin turbo, who seem to want to tailgate me very closely or drive allong side and try to get me to dance. Occurs Quite often behind other less confident drivers driving slow in the fast lane. The jap drivers are antagonizing instead of just moving on. Regular occurence in Maryland.

If you have ever been rear ended, it will stay in your mind for the rest of your life. Perhaps this made hime a little more sensitive to that questionable tailgate.

Cool minds and wit prevale. Just set him up at the next speed trap, much more fun. A flame thrower from SA would be interesting too.
That still doesn't give the 335 driver any right to stop in the middle of a 2-lane road and confront the other driver. All he had to do was pull off at the next available spot and wave the other driver by.
      06-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #61
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

You guys do realize when you record at the widest angle or without zoom the object may appear further than actually is. So the Mazda speed 3 may as well been tailing the BMW closely. I don't encourage road rage and things could have escalated quite badly. But it's quite possible the MS3 guy was putting the heat on because he was upset by being cut off earlier. The BMW driver also did not handle the situation well to say the least.

The first time I did a drive video I was surprised how far the car appear on tape. A simple test is to take a sample picture in front of you inside the car using an iphone then go out and take a picture of the actual distance from the side. You will be surprised how far an object may appear from inside the car.

Last edited by Robert; 06-08-2010 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #62
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
You guys do realize when you record at the widest angle or without zoom the object may appear further than actually is. So the Mazda speed 3 may as well been tailing the BMW closely. I don't encourage road rage and things could have escalated quite badly. But it's quite possible the MS3 guy was tailgating because he was cut off earlier.

The first time I did a drive video I was surprised how far the car appear on tape.
Hey, Robert's still around! Also, good point on the video!

Had the same thing, sort of, back in my Honda street racing days. We had a video taped from a standing position, while the two cars sped away. Although in person, there was a clear winner, reviewing the tape you really couldn't tell except for the ricer Hazard Lghts for victory!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #63
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
You guys do realize when you record at the widest angle or without zoom the object may appear further than actually is. .

You can very easily count the following time by watching the marker posts they're passing. The Mazda was close to two seconds behind the guy for most of that video, which is PLENTY of room at those speeds, especially for someone who's paying close attention to the car in front of them.

This isn't a matter of a lens making it look different, it's a simple case of a DB and his complete over reaction.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #64
Superiority
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Black 135i DCT

bahaha that was funny. what a jerk off
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #65
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
what a douche... even if I thought he was "riding my ass", which he clearly wasn't, I'd never have the balls to completely stop, get out and start swearing at someone I didn't know or know if he had a gun on him or something. And I'm from Chicago, the original home of tailgating people.

I hope that guy is on e90post and gets flamed for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #66
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
I'm of two minds on this one:

1) Don't think the Mazda3 was tailgating. Tailgating (aka "riding someone's ass") is really tight and leaves no room for the driver in front to brake safely. It is a very aggressive following maneuver that is only done by idiot douchebags who don't think about the consequences of their driving, even if the person they are tailing is going too slow.

That said...

2) The Mazda3 was clearly playing with him and matching maneuvers with him, ie speeding up or slowing down in sync with the BMW. That can come off as very aggressive and if you're in the car in front you have no real way of telling if he is just playing around or if the driver behind you has negative intentions. What if it was a woman behind the wheel? Would you think some guy is following you? If you STOPPED and waved them by how do you know the guy isn't going to stop to and make things worse for you? For an example of how this feels from the driver’s perspective read this post from this very forum: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=67. Yeah the poster was probably being followed closer than the guy in this video but I think the idea is the same.

I think that as the audience we're aware of the Mazda driver's intentions (or at least how he can paint it since he's the owner of the video and is essentially writing history here) so it disarms us but as the Bimmer driver you wouldn't know and it would make me a little peeved too.

What I would do is actually slow down and use my BMW Assist/Bluetooth to call the cops and lead him right to them rather than stopping in the middle of the road and making things worse. But I see two bad drivers here, not one.
Appreciate 0