BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-02-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

need advice on these service records please

Sorry guys, I really didnt want to make a new thread about 1200 mile service, but I posted yesterday on an older thread that just getting lost in the shuffle here. I dont blame any of you, the "//M after //M after //M" story and continued debate on "1M vs modded 135" are much more interesting.

Attached is my 1200 mile service records. Service was done at VPC after Euro delivery. I picked the car up PCD two weeks ago. Well, its taken this long to actually get my records and if Im reading correct, NO DIFF FLUID CHANGE

PLease tell me im an idiot and I missed something obvious.

Bigger question: what is the effect of NOT changing diff fluid at all?? Ive got now 2800 miles. Ive been pretty good to the car, careful on break-in and I dont drive like a moron laying rubber at the Welt.

thoughts??

EDIT: it does state "performed 1200mi service per bmw spec. oil change and diff fluidchange" but no record of the diff fluid
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1200 mile service.pdf (49.4 KB, 350 views)

Top Gear Magazine - Jason Barlow about the 1M
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

According to mine it has a line item with the heading "FINAL-DRIVE GEAR OIL" and then the reference to the SAF-XJ fluid. I read yours as just an oil change.

I would change it as soon as you can.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 12:12 AM   #3
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Haha, I fee like i'm following you on both forums.

I doubt you will ever really be able to confirm whether the diff. fluid was changed from that document, so I would just go ahead and change it ASAP. Pure speculation, but I really doubt anything would've been damaged. Someone correct me if I a wrong, but chatter caused by not having the FM in the diff. fluid is not damaging anything, right? The notice below basically states only add the FM if a customer brings up the issue. Am I wrong to believe it can't be very detrimental to run without it if it is being used only as needed? http://members.roadfly.org/kmurph/DiffServiceAction.pdf

I am trying to get a hold of the VPC service record BEFORE I get my PCD re-delivery on the 12th. From your other post it seemed like you spoke to a "Sabine" at the ED number (1-800-932-0831) to get that document, correct?
      12-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post

I doubt you will ever really be able to confirm whether the diff. fluid was changed from that document, so I would just go ahead and change it ASAP. Pure speculation, but I really doubt anything would've been damaged. Someone correct me if I a wrong, but chatter caused by not having the FM in the diff. fluid is not damaging anything, right? The notice below basically states only add the FM if a customer brings up the issue. Am I wrong to believe it can't be very detrimental to run without it if it is being used only as needed? http://members.roadfly.org/kmurph/DiffServiceAction.pdf

I am trying to get a hold of the VPC service record BEFORE I get my PCD redelivery on the 12th. From your other post it seemed like you spoke to a "Sabine" at the ED number (1-800-932-0831) to get that document, correct?

yeah, using the resources available to me!

I am getting fluid changed ASAP. And I do realize that friction modifier to help chatter. Seems like it may have been better if they put the wrong fluid in instead of none.

I guess Im asking the gearheads here their opinion of NOT having changed the diff fluid at all through 2800miles. What potential damage here?

I'll pm you sabines contact info, I dont want to throw it all over the internet.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

bump

nothing guys? I know its a boring topic. Im going into service in a couple days, Id llike to be "informed"

help a brotha out..

Topic: does NOT changing the diff fluid over 2800 miles cause damage of any kind? Would "wrong" fluid be better than none at 1200mile service?

Discuss..

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post

I am trying to get a hold of the VPC service record BEFORE I get my PCD re-delivery on the 12th. From your other post it seemed like you spoke to a "Sabine" at the ED number (1-800-932-0831) to get that document, correct?

++1. I would also say to just replace the diff fluid yourself too. It could be that the PCD gets their diff oil in bulk oil drums... and they just do not bill it out on the repair order like oil bottles do - like for say an oil change.

When in doubt... change the oil yourself. The peace of mind will be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 02:30 AM   #7
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyratOne View Post
bump

nothing guys? I know its a boring topic. Im going into service in a couple days, Id llike to be "informed"

help a brotha out..

Topic: does NOT changing the diff fluid over 2800 miles cause damage of any kind? Would "wrong" fluid be better than none at 1200mile service?

Discuss..
Oops, I guess I mis-read when I started discussing having diff fluid with no FM in the diff.

Not sure if it would damage anything. If, for whatever reason, it did cause damage, I doubt it would be apparent to you now. It might manifest itself as a noise or something later down the line, hopefully before the warranty is up. Get it changed now to avoid any possibility of the above happening.
      12-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
bump

help a brotha out..

Discuss..
Yes the wrong fluid is almost certainly better than no new fluid. The diff has a fair amount of break-in going on the first 100-300 miles. There is quite a bit of metal that's ground off the splines. So getting the old crap out is of the highest importance. If the fluid wasn't changed I would be concerned with premature wear and most likely damage having been done.

If the fluid was changed but not with the correct BMW fluid I would simply have them change it. I would also have a conversation with the head tech about the differences between what they put in vs what was supposed to be used. For the most part diff oil is diff oil, so as long as he inspects it to confirm all is good I wouldn't be too worried about the wrong fluid for a couple thousand miles.

If the fluid wasn't changed I would have some serious converstions about either getting you a new diff or extending the warranty on it to 100k. Personally I would be raising holy hell for a new one.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #9
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

it does not appear as they billed any out... ( that does not mean they didnt do it ) because proof in point is the following :>>>> even worse for them is they did not charge themselves for the oil service which is part of the 1200 they just charged themselves for the diff fluid change.. go figure LOL

i would either do it myself or trek on back to a dealer...
      12-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M(382/740)

I got the same info from my dealer thanks to your post, he had no idea he could even get these details from the system. Mine was done in NJ at the VPC a few weeks ago and they listed the diff fluid, quantity and part number. I would say based on that they did not change it. Let me know if you want me to post my print out.

TJ
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #11
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm129 View Post
I got the same info from my dealer thanks to your post, he had no idea he could even get these details from the system. Mine was done in NJ at the VPC a few weeks ago and they listed the diff fluid, quantity and part number. I would say based on that they did not change it. Let me know if you want me to post my print out.

TJ
Yes, please do.
      12-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #12
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok then folks. A riddle for you. The 1$million dollar question. Ready??.....

IS there any (ANY) way to tell if the fluid currently in the diff is original?

(Jeopardy music)

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm129 View Post
I was hoping I would not have to fire the scanner up, but here it is, glad to share something back!

The quantities are cut off (should have been printed landscape) but I saw them on his screen.

TJ
Don't think it got posted.
      12-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #14
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I was hoping I would not have to fire the scanner up, but here it is, glad to share something back!

The quantities are cut off (should have been printed landscape) but I saw them on his screen.

TJ
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1M Service VPC.pdf (1.73 MB, 961 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #15
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

(Jeopardy music)
Maybe to the extremely trained eye. I think I recall seeing somewhere on this forum a user who found some "contamination" during the 1200 mile service he performed himself (I think it was a 135i DIY for 1200 mile service, trans & diff). But I can't remember if it was transmission or differential he saw it.

Like others have said, get the correct oil, do it yourself. Call it done.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #16
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:

(Jeopardy music)
i dont think so...

but you can look to see if the hex on the fill plug is worn or has marks
      12-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #17
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

OK, funny thing happened to me today at work.

I got a call from ED wanting to talk about my 1200mile service.

Here is what is being pitched to me, from them. Im paraphrasing:

ED: "We take this very seriously"

Me: "where is the record of diff fluid change?"

ED: "its there"

Me: "All it says is that you did it. There is no line item. there is no part number for the fluid. How do I know its the RIGHT fluid?"

ED: "I assure you, we did it. I just talked to the service manager at VPC, he said he did it"

Me: " How do I know that? How do I know its the right differential fluid? There was a service bulletin recently"

ED: "The service manager told me he did it. They have the latest bulletins and latest fluids. Its on the invoice"

Me: "Your asking me to take the word of a someone Ive never met. Its not itemized on the invoice"

ED: "Yes it is"

Me: "this is going nowhere. What is the part number?"

ED: "Its in bulk, it wont be the part number for small bottles"

Me: (vocally frustrated now) "Well then, can I have that part number"

ED: "Castrol SAF-XJ (83221470080)"

Me: "Bye"

Im still lost. EDIT: WRONG FLUID. If they even ever did it.

jeeesh

Last edited by PyratOne; 12-07-2011 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #18
bvez3ro
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F80 YMB

I think it's the wrong diff fluid. Those are the ones from the service bulletin.

BMW Diffoil SAF-XJ 500ml/0,132gal (83 22 2 282 583)

BMW Diffoil Synthetic MSP/A 60 Liter Barrel/15,85gal (83 22 9 407 870)

BMW Diffoil Synthetic MSP/A 208 Liter Barrel/54,95gal (83 22 9 407 871)

Correct me if i am wrong, Dackel ;-)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #19
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
Quote:
OK, funny thing happened to me today at work.

I got a call from ED wanting to talk about my 1200mile service.

Here is what is being pitched to me, from them. Im paraphrasing:

ED: "We take this very seriously"

Me: "where is the record of diff fluid change?"

ED: "its there"

Me: "All it says is that you did it. There is no line item. there is no part number for the fluid. How do I know its the RIGHT fluid?"

ED: "I assure you, we did it. I just talked to the service manager at VPC, he said he did it"

Me: " How do I know that? How do I know its the right differential fluid? There was a service bulletin recently"

ED: "The service manager told me he did it. They have the latest bulletins and latest fluids. Its on the invoice"
OMFG. Sounds EXACTLY like my conversation w/my dealer: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...highlight=1200

I don't what to do, since they still haven't given me written proof that the change was done. Time to call the GM I guess.
      12-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #20
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hehe..

Saga continues. And Im posting this for two reasons. 1) selfishly to get opinions on what to do and 2) to help others who might encounter similar situations

They are offering a, how did they put it?...Hold on.....right!...a "Goodwill Gesture on an exceptional basis" offer to change my differential fluid at no cost.

In their view "The differential fluid was certainly changed on your vehicle according to BMW Guidelines"

Even after they told me the WRONG fluid according to the part number, they wont admit they messed up.

At a minimum, they 1)screwed up the invoice 2) put wrong fluid 3) denied wrong doing.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #21
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Unbelieveable how difficult an issue this is...
Even if you go out of your way to point it out and make the dealer aware of it...still done incorrectly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #22
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

WOW!
Appreciate 0